Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the UN behave like a colonial power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you do mean that all nations have to be converted to democracies first right? How democratic is it when fidel castro or Dear Leader Kim or indeed any unelected governments influence the UN's policies?

You got it!

Your election system needs some fixing, too, so don't get all happy.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

you do mean that all nations have to be converted to democracies first right? How democratic is it when fidel castro or Dear Leader Kim or indeed any unelected governments influence the UN's policies?

You got it!

Your election system needs some fixing, too, so don't get all happy.
      I won't be happy until a system is implemented that somehow combines guarenteed basic rights with direct democracy. So of course I'm not happy with voting for voters.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo

As I said - The UN needs standards. None of the other improvements are worthy of consideration until then.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
          I would support none of those items.
          damn right

didn't someone in the recent past post a story detailing the shameful excesses of UN troops in eastern congo?
          "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

The rape thread? Some Monuquites were accused of raping local women; I don't know what came of it.

Well, putting some order in the eastern DRC is good.

A standing UN peacekeeper corps would bring some obvious benefits, but since it could presumably only be deployed with the consent of the UNSC, I wonder how cost-effective it would be compared to the present system.

The UN has all the constitution it needs, near as I can tell. Some constitutional reform would be good, tho. Or could be good; I'm half expecting them to give Germany, Japan and India vetoes, further freezing the whole thing.

As for democratization, you can't have any democracy on the world level as long as much of the world is run by dictatorships. It's an undemocratic UN or none at all.
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Verto

Yeah, since when did the UN get guns?
              Shortly after Canada did.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

What's Nepal doing sending troops abroad with the UN, don't they have problems back at home?
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

They're exporting them.
                  "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                  I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                  Middle East!

Comment

The Gurkhas are the most valuable export that Nepal has.
                    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Working...
                    X