Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the UN behave like a colonial power?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the UN behave like a colonial power?

Cut&Paste time once again! And apolytonized threat title - what would you need more?

U.N. forces kill 60 Congo militia

(CNN) -- U.N. peacekeepers have killed up to 60 Congolese militiamen in fierce fighting in a lawless region where nine Bangladeshi soldiers were killed last week, according to the U.N.

The deaths occurred during a U.N. air and ground operation on Tuesday northeast of Bunia, the capital of the eastern Ituri province.

The operation was launched by South African, Pakistani and Nepalese troops near the town of Loga. The region is controlled by militia that the United Nations says continues to spread terror and looting.

"It's an ongoing process to put an end to the activitities of these militia," U.N. spokeswoman Eliane Nabaa in Kinshasa told CNN Wednesday, who said that in the aftermath of the operation, it appears that between 50-60 suspected militiamen were killed.

On Tuesday, three militia fighters were arrested in the killings of the nine U.N. peacekeepers on patrol in the same area of the Congo. Floribert Njabu, president of the Nationalist Integrationist Front (FNI), Goda Sopka, also from FNI, and Germain Katanga, from the Patriotic Resistance Forces in Ituri, were all arrested in the Congolese capital of Kinshasa, according to U.N. spokeswoman Stephane Dujarric.

In the Ituri, "these militas are refusing to join the mainstream, and refusing the choice they have to disarm and join the demobilization and the government forces," Nabaa said.

Those killed Tuesday are "potentially militiamen -- we cannot be sure 100 percent," she said. The U.N. and local authorities are investigating.

The nine Bangladeshi peacekeepers were killed Friday in what the United Nations called a premeditated attack in the lawless Ituri region. Dujarric said it was one of the worst single-day incidents in recent peacekeeping history.

It was believed the attack came in response to peacekeepers' efforts to neutralize the militia, which U.N. spokesman Fred Eckhard said had been terrorizing locals, looting and carrying out illegal tax collections.

The nine soldiers were taking part in a 21-man foot patrol ambushed about three miles (five kilometers) west of Kafe, said U.N. spokesman Mamadou Bah in Kinshasa.

Brazilian Ambassador to the U.N. Ronaldo Mota Sardenberg, who is serving as the rotating president of the Security Council for the month of March, issued a statement on Wednesday in New York condemning the attack on the peacekeepers.

"The Security Council considers this aggression -- by its intentional and well-planned nature -- to be an unacceptable outrage... and calls upon the government to immediately take all necessary measures to bring to justice the perpetrators," Sardenberg read.

U.N. peacekeepers have been in the Congo since November 1999, but increased their presence in Ituri in May 2003 after ethnic violence increased in the region.

According to the U.N., fighting between the Hema and Lendu tribes in Ituri has claimed more than 50,000 lives since 1999. In addition, 50,000 people have been displaced because of the behavior of militias, Nabaa said. "This has to end."
    Discuss.
    Blah

I'm just impressed that the UN has actually managed to kill people!
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

b.u.m.p.
      Blah

Comment

The UN can't really keep power for itself, so I am both astonished and not at all displeased if it actually manages to assert itself militarily in accomplishing it's goals.

Comment

maybe they do, but in this instance its a good thing. Someone has to restore order to eastern congo, and i dont see who else is going to do it.

UN
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Which Congo are we talking about. Kinsasha or Braziville?

/me reads . . . "Ah, Kinsasha."
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

well, I guess it's a start.

The UN needs a democratic representation from worldwide.
              It needs a constitution.
              And it needs a standing army.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel

It needs a constitution.
                And it needs standards.
                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Well, let's not get giddy here. I'll bet that a good portion of those 'militiamen' were innocent bystanders.

Comment

It needs a constitution.
                    on all 3
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I'm just impressed that the UN has actually managed to kill people!
                      Yeah, since when did the UN get guns?

Comment

It needs a constitution.
                        1. a standing PEACEKEEPING force - maybe. Start small, and see how it goes.

2. Constitution - it HAS a charter. Maybe that needs to be changed. But its not like the EU, that had a complex mess of treaties instead.

3. Democratic representation - how do you do this, when the largest member is not democratic?
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I would support none of those items.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

It needs a constitution.
                            Exactly
                            Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

It needs a constitution.
                              you do mean that all nations have to be converted to democracies first right? How democratic is it when fidel castro or Dear Leader Kim or indeed any unelected governments influence the UN's policies?

Comment

Working...
                              X