Iraqis protest against the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At least no one was hurt.
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well, a bunch of Christians and Jews would be having a sh-t fit if Muslim days off were imposed on them in place of their calendar, so to each his own. We have a blue law here in Kansas so we can't buy booze on Sunday and speaking for us infidels, we don't especially like their religious crappola being imposed on us.

Comment

You should go out and kill some teachers then.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

In Lebanon, the weekend starts at 11:30 a.m. Friday and includes Sunday.
          Now that's the way to do it. How did the three religions end up with seperate but consecutive holy days anyway?
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

the hand of god ...

four days of weekend is clearly how he has envisionnned things ...
            "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Jesus, I mean, there are only 7 days as it is, some of them are bound to be sabbaths for someone else...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                Do any Jewish and Muslim holidays coincide?
                Beltane, Washington's Birthday and Diwali, and the anniversary of the Beatles' first single release.
                Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

To clarify, the old day off wasn't on Sunday, but on Friday (as was long-since established) Whomever decided to create an extra day off on Saturday didn't make it "to imitate the West", but imitated some neighbouring Muslim countries.

This controversy doesn't show a ****-up by some Yank bureaucrat, but a deep antisemitism from some *******s, who prefer to work rather than to have a "jewish" day off
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor

This controversy doesn't show a ****-up by some Yank bureaucrat, but a deep antisemitism from some *******s, who prefer to work rather than to have a "jewish" day off
                    I love the way the day of the week suddenly develops a religion. I missed the circumcision and bar (or bat) mitzvah of Saturday. It's a shame, I'd have liked the free food and drinks. Although what do you buy a day of the week as a present, a box of assorted dates?

I must watch out for the next Jewish New Year, so I can avoid that whole year, and obviously I must try to be in some other dimension when next Ramadan comes around.

And definitely don't date anything by that 'Common Era'
                    nonsense, since it's reliant on Christian dating.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Why did Jordan pick Saturday, anyway? If they were copying the Western model, Thursday would've seemed more logical (being the day before the islamically holy Friday, just like Saturday is the day before the christianly holy Sunday).
                      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

They either had to choose Saturday or Thursday and I imagine they did decide on Saturday because that meant their work week would better coincide with the international work week. It's a little easier to conduct international business if you have four common working days with everyone else instead of three common working days.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

They want to celebrate Thor's day? Bunch of pagans.
                          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                            They want to celebrate Thor's day? Bunch of pagans.
                            Yeah, they should be celebrating Saturn's day. Don't let them off so easy.
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

What does Lebanon do, anyway? They've got quite enough of both Muslims and Christians.
                              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

In Lebanon, the weekend starts at 11:30 a.m. Friday and includes Sunday.
                                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                                Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                                X