Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smiley
    What can you get for 550k in Flagstaff?
    Ideally you don't buy a 550k house in flagstaff because I believe the goal of moving was to lower expenses and increase the living stard of his growing family.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      I have been kicking that around Kontiki. I am going to try and put off buying another house for 6 mos to a year, then see how much money we have, what the market is like, if we like the area, etc... And then decided, but building is a definite option.
      On the upside buildable lots there are dirt cheap. 20 acres for $25k. Though pre-subdivided lots cost much more $35k gets you 1 acre in the Happyjack area).

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's still interesting to compare houses of similar prices.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Be forewarned/prepared, Gore tends to historically low ball salaries and doesn't tend to appreciate outside work experiences as the draw of working for a progressively managed company is more than enough compensation.

Only once you've paid your dues and absorbed the Gore culture are ideas taken seriously. (nominally a 5 year process). That being said there are a number of good things to be said about Gore as well.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Thanks Ogie

I am a little worried about low-balling. The interviewer mentioned something that made me think I might not get what I want. However, I told him that as long as I get what I need I will be happy. As well, I think I would do well in their environment, especially with all the hierarchy BS I am experience at my current job right now. Not to mention the stress that living in the bay area "lovingly" provides, I'll probably end up living longer!

Still, if the money ain't right I will have to pass.

Only once you've paid your dues and absorbed the Gore culture are ideas taken seriously.
            I read an article in which an employee said the samething.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

A little story background if you will. My wife came out of teh chemical indsutry with about 8-10 years experience in technical sales, manufacturing, and R&D and got her MBA from Wharton.

She ran into a number of resistance issue re: her not getting the culture, despite the fact that she had more credentials and experince than almost everyone working there. After a period of time (2-3 years) she finally was taken seriously but by that time her patience had worn thin.

Gore has some great ideas but the nature of teh company in decision making by consensus means they tend to plod along. Underperformers are typically saved as no one really wants to be a bad guy.

The 360 review is good as well as teh compensation performance curve utilization but still they canbe painfully slow to come to decision when virtually anyone with an agenda can derail decisions if they choose to.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

On the other hand they are a company that typically values engineers. This will work to your favor I would expect both in terms of ultimately compensation and decision making credibility.

Comment

They seem to really like engineers.

I do think that compensation should have some basis on education, though. And I can therefore see why your wife would be fustrated. I, however, get fustrated when I see ppl unable to pull their weight, but getting compensated the same for it as some one else. You always say they will get their just deserve, but many times they don't... like that guy who posts on poly all day, and still has a job!
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

I went and did the interview last Friday. Whirlwind tour kind of thing. Can't really gauge the interview as the grilled me and never really looked all that happy or anything for that matter. Anyway, it was a sheity interview as far as interviews go. Oh well.

I have been contacted by a couple other companies in San Diego and Denver.
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X