school refuses to show picture of lesbian in yearbook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
    This is a public school and it wasn't a school uniform.
    You said 'women', not 'girls'
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      what's a munter?
      A minger with taste.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Yep, some kids at school would make fun of her. Then the media -- especially Fox -- would show up to lionize her, declaring her the true voice of American youth. She'd be all over the national media for days, along with smug Christian pundits defending her against non-existant attacks. Her picture, in her demure dress, would be continually juxtaposed with pictures of Christine Aguilara, driving home a point so obvious it doesn't need articulation. The more hysterical conservative columnists -- think Cal Thomas -- would begin comparing her to the alleged "Christian martyr" of Columbine. Eventually, at a press conference, President Bush would be tossed a soft-ball question about the controversy, which he would use as an opportunity to praise her faith, denegrate teacher's unions, and promote abstinence-only sex education and No Child Left Behind. And the picture would run.

Have you been living abroad? Or do you just not get how America works now?
        Teh Rufus pwns all!!!
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Re: school refuses to show picture of lesbian in yearbook

Originally posted by Dissident
          It's obvious none of this hatred has anything to do with the sanctity of marriage.

Conservatives hate gay people. Plain and simple. Not all of them do, but I'm willing to bet most people do.

Some of them will admit it, others will try and sugarcoat it.

The worst is the bible bashers that say, "don't hate the gay person, hate their gayness."

okay!
          We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I thought Rufus was living abroad...
            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
              This is another reason I am against school uniforms, the female uniform almost invariably consists of a skirt, and forcing people to conform to culturally imposed dress expectations is wrong.
              The male uniform not merely almost invariably consists of a pair of trousers. How is that any more or less wrong?
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Heck, even tubgirl wears a school uniform.
                We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus T. Firefly

Yep, some kids at school would make fun of her. Then the media -- especially Fox -- would show up to lionize her, declaring her the true voice of American youth. She'd be all over the national media for days, along with smug Christian pundits defending her against non-existant attacks. Her picture, in her demure dress, would be continually juxtaposed with pictures of Christine Aguilara, driving home a point so obvious it doesn't need articulation. The more hysterical conservative columnists -- think Cal Thomas -- would begin comparing her to the alleged "Christian martyr" of Columbine. Eventually, at a press conference, President Bush would be tossed a soft-ball question about the controversy, which he would use as an opportunity to praise her faith, denegrate teacher's unions, and promote abstinence-only sex education and No Child Left Behind. And the picture would run.

Have you been living abroad? Or do you just not get how America works now?
                  Bravo!

(I see someone else beat me to the punch, but this passage was good enough to merit a second re-quoting)
                  Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph
                    They are not stupid. I now work at a Middle School and we have a dress code period. If you don't follow it, you are in trouble period. If you do follow it, everything is fine.
                    The girl could have worn a dress that was not low cut and no one would have been able to see her breast.
                    Do you have a school dress code that requires females to wear a dress? Even here in the great state of Alabama the school dress codes dont require that certain clothes be worn, only what may not be worn (and that only applies to the type of clothing not who may wear it). Maybe the next step at this school will be to require that evil females wear a burka so that they dont show off their evil flesh.

I'm not opposed to dress codes at school (although I personally find the idea repugnant I accept that there are useful benefits). This is not a dress code, however, this is a type of school behaviour (some would label it religious while I label it nazi) that is all too common.
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Dunno.

On the one hand it seems to be silly to not allow her to be dressed on the photo this way.
                      On the other hand, if you allow this, you should also allow male transvestites to wear a skirt on photos for the yearbook
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                      Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Dress codes

Once in my life I was forced to wear such clothes she's wearing in that picture and it was like hell
                        Forcing people to wear clothes they hate to wear
                        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

For all we know anyway, she could be wearing a skirt in that picture- it only shows the face and shoulders.
                          Visit First Cultural Industries
                          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                            Dress codes

Once in my life I was forced to wear such clothes she's wearing in that picture and it was like hell
                            Forcing people to wear clothes they hate to wear
                            The main reason I am against school uniforms is that it implants in a child's young mind that he/she will be punished if he/she does not conform.

Comment

Originally posted by Proteus_MST
                              Dunno.

On the one hand it seems to be silly to not allow her to be dressed on the photo this way.
                              On the other hand, if you allow this, you should also allow male transvestites to wear a skirt on photos for the yearbook
                              yeah I got to admit there's a double standard here.

Normally it's acceptable for women to wear guys clothing. That's why I find this case so strange. But it's not acceptable for guys to wear women's clothing except in the name of comedy.

Comment

After this I wonder if one of the guys at the school would rather wear a dress in the yearbook photo?
                                “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                                - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                                X