Anybody own a hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody own a hybrid?

I note that both Detroit and Japan are coming out with hybrid SUVs and trucks. The hybrid portion adds $3k - $4k to the sticker price. Gas mileage is said to be pretty good (25 - 30 MPG city driving).

Also, there's been lots of talk about "plug-in hybrids", i.e.-- hybrids that have bigger batteries, so you can plug in your vehicle to the electrical grid and create more of a gasoline versus electricity tradeoff.

Is the technology advanced well enough so that I can safely assume that most new vehicles will be hybrid in a decade or so?
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I get 25-30 MPG without a hybrid...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

IIRC, you have a puny SUV-lite. I'm talking full-size SUVs and trucks.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I have a compact car.

Why do you need a full-size SUV for "city driving"?

You don't even live in Canada or an area with extreme winter weather. Weak.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

To look cool with the other capitalist running dog lackies.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I don't think "need" is a proper part of this discussion.

Comment

I have a mule and a liger and winged monkey that screams all the time, but I think I spliced the genes wrong on that one.

Comment

Why do you want one?

Do you get a kick out of being higher up than other drivers?

Comment

Do you get a kick out of being higher up than other drivers?
                  Sure. Why not?

Comment

Asher

Mazda 3 in cold conditions

Mazda 3 in warm conditions ( weak A/C)
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
                      Asher

Mazda 3 in cold conditions

Mazda 3 in warm conditions ( weak A/C)
                      That's about my only real complaint about the car, that the one day of the year where it's hot enough to notice the weak A/C.

Comment

lucky you.

Mazda 6, however, doesn't suffer from this, and has tons of leg room for creatures such as me. 6 really rocks.
                        urgh.NSFW

Comment

The North American 6's are made in Detroit. I wouldn't buy it because of that alone.

Though I do love the design.

Comment

In any event, I view hybrids (of the plug-in and normal variety) as making a lot of sense to diversify our dependence on foreign (ME/Russia/Venezuela) oil.

Environmental considerations are not foremost in my mind, although I acknolwedge that I could be part of a coalition to highlight benefits of hybrid use with environmentalists.

It looks like normal hybrids are making economic sense at current oil prices, so I am wondering from people who actually own hybrids whether or not the technology is "there" yet.

Comment

Instead of paying a premium on a vehicle type already with an obscene premium (SUV), why not just buy a car with the same mileage as a hybrid SUV? Invest the money you'd save.

Comment

Working...
                              X