Download limits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download limits?

I'm thinking of changing my Internet connection from a 1meg unlimited download scheme to a 2 meg line with various monthly bandwidth ceilings (5 gig, 10 gig and 15 gig)

Is there a app out there that can keep a running total to give me some idea how much bandwidth I'm currently using a month? The cost gets pretty bad if you exceed your bandwidth ceiling.

yes. the DU meter.

DU Meter is a network bandwidth monitor for your computer. It shows real-time graphs and can create reports and alerts based on your downloads and uploads. It can discriminate betweenInternet and LAN, calculate network traffic costs and much more.
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

There are several but be carefull as not all of them are reliable.

To the switching: DON'T!!!

I have a 10G cap and believe me, it's not enough.
      Heck, no even when night-traffic only counts as 50%.
      Should I mention my UL is capped at 10% of my DL limit.

For every extra Gig I pay 1€.

On the other hand, your connection is quite slow...hmmm.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

download/upload limits

Comment

Strange but I have a 700mb cap for 24hrs on 256K and I routinely download 1-2gb per day, but they have yet to send me an email about it in like a year. Love blueyonder.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Don't switch. I have an unlimited 1.5 Mbit line (up to 8 Mbit local speeds though), and in some days I can download 2+ GB. That is per day! Granted, not every day, but I'd hate to limit myself. So don't switch, you'll just have to limit yourself, which kills the fun.
            Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
            I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Don't switch. I have an unlimited 1.5 Mbit line (up to 8 Mbit local speeds though), and in some days I can download 2+ GB. That is per day! Granted, not every day, but I'd hate to limit myself. So don't switch, you'll just have to limit yourself, which kills the fun.
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

2+GB! What the hell are you guys downloading!

I doubt I have ever exeeded 500 MB in a day.

Comment

that's a lotta pr0n

Comment

When I worked from home, I coule easily surpass several Gigs per day, but then I was transferring ISO images of our produc from work and such.
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

cheers all, I know roughly how much I downlad when I'm file sharing (about 10 gig a month), I 've no idea what day to day surfing would take up though.

Another tariff offered is unlimited 2meg for an extra £5 a month over the 15 gig limit tariff, I just don't know if I even use 15 gig a month.

Comment

I've DL'd much more than 2gig in a day on occasions.
                        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

my record for one day is 8.77 GB
                          Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                            I've DL'd much more than 2gig in a day on occasions.
                            It's handy if you have to do an emergency re-format, you can just install an OS and Kazaa and leave it on overnight replacing your lost apps.

Comment

My ISP recently lifted the cap (it actually wasn't a real cap, just FUP), but this is good news nonetheless.

The great thing about my ISP is that it accurately maintains logs of my traffic so I can see how much it really is without installing something myself. I just notice that I hit two 8.5 GB spikes on two days this month

Comment

Working...
                              X