No announcement yet.

Missile Defence: Canada says "No way!!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canada could be next (thanks for scaremongering)

at least 3 times complaining that our armed forces aren't big enough

canada will back missile plan (gee, thanks for telling us what our government will do before they make up their minds)

relations will suffer if we don't back missile defense

canada's response to tsunami too slow

Hell, I don't remember a single thing another US ambassador ever said to us...
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Just found out the Cellucci's done in March. Maybe they'll send up somebody better this time...
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Why couldn't Canada be next? There have been several plots foiled in Britain, one of them to blow up a football stadium while it was occupied. The Spanish had an unfortunate incident, didn;t they? The French have had some activity disrupted by good intelligence and arrests. Why do you take it so personally when the ambassador states the obvious, especially given we have been named by the bad guys as a target?

Was he number 1,492,354 in line of complainers that Canada diesn't carry it's own weight militarily?

That he said we would back missile defence is a point, except for the Minister of Defence saying the same thing.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Do you think I disagree with him on the fact that terrorism is a threat to us?

He was using scaremongering to try to frighten us into backing some cockamamie scheme or another. Was around time of Iraq runup IIRC.

Not acceptable from even our own politicians. Much less so from him.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• canada's response to tsunami too slow

You've been away too long. Mr. Dithers did himself proud by delaying the 'rapid' response force. It was a national disgrace, right here at home. The ambassador was only repeating what Canadians were saying, if he said any such thing.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
              Do you think I disagree with him on the fact that terrorism is a threat to us?

He was using scaremongering to try to frighten us into backing some cockamamie scheme or another. Was around time of Iraq runup IIRC.

But it's fine for one of ours to speak down to the USians about the defeciencies of their democracy and lack of healthcare, yes?

How many standards can you maintain?
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)

Comment

• I'll be happy to see the tail end of him. He's the first US ambassador whose name I've even known, and his imperious, hectoring tone will not be missed by me.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                  Do you think I disagree with him on the fact that terrorism is a threat to us?

I'm never quite sure how missile defence stops urban terrorism.

Polaris missiles and cruise didn't prevent the I. R. A. or the I. N. L. A. from bombings and assassinations in Great Britain.
                  Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

But it's fine for one of ours to speak down to the USians about the defeciencies of their democracy and lack of healthcare, yes?

How many standards can you maintain?
                    Funny. You don't see me sitting here *****ing about what every one of their congressmen or senators does (no matter what their party affiliation), but you seem to think we need to be apologetic when a ****ing staffer runs her mouth off. MPs can say whatever the **** they want to.

When our ambassadors or cabinet ministers start to say things is when they get official.

Do you seriously think our ambassador sits around in the US giving press conferences about how the US death penalty is barbaric and how American military aggression is destabilizing the world?
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Cellucci seemed to feel that his job lay in "educating" the Canadian public about how disappointed the US was with us this week. Such bull**** would not be tolerated from our ambassador to them, and neither should it be accepted the other way around.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Not only insulting, but counterproductive...
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Picked up another interesting fact: his daughter is banging a Canadian hockey player.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Don't former PMs and senior cabinet ministers carry some weight, and thereby have some responsibility?

It's not as if Axworthy were a minister of Pearson, 40 years ago. He was our Foreign Affairs Minister during the government that can hardly be divorced from this one.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

• They carry more weight than staffers for sure.

And that's why I listen when somebody like Axworthy says something. But it's still officially unofficial. See my point about why it's the perfect avenue.

People like Parrish can yammer all they want to. I agree that them throwing around insults is probably a dumb idea overall, and is bad for business. That's why I doubt they were coming as directives from the PMO to send a message. Axworthy I'm not so sure of...
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• I actually have a hard time believing he wrote that.

Tecumseh says he did in a letter to the editor, so I'll accept it. However, it was stupid ****ing thing to do for someone who is drawing the pension of a senior cabinet minister.

If he wrote it, it simply illustrates the contempt that the average Liberal has come to have for the responsibilites of government. It is as if they believe that government is their right, and therefore they should be free to behave as they will.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)

Comment

Working...
                                X