No announcement yet.

Feeding the Dragon, Hurting the Alliance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, since China does, on the whole, seem to be getting nicer, postponing its more-or-less inevitable rise seems like a good idea.
    OK.

I don't see China rising to dominate the world, so it doesn't bother me. I thought this argument was about China becoming more powerful, not the ruler of the world.

rulers
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by lord of the mark

Is refusing to sell weapons to China isolating them? IIUC the EU limits weapons sales to Israel, and to Taiwan. Would you say youve tried to isolate Israel or Taiwan, or to wage a cold war on them?
      Israel has German U-Boats IIRC.....not sure what's with Taiwan.
      Blah

Comment

• China having a blue water Navy that would mean anything to the US other than a great oportunity to create a large swath of man made reefs in the South China sea is ridiculous. It would take them 20 years to get where we are now, and of course by then we will be another 20 years ahead of them.

China is hopelessly outclassed right now by most European navies.

Which of course is why they have no chance of mounting a successful invasion of Tawain in the nexy 20 years if the US goes hot.

A arms buildup by China will yeild nothing more than the US increasing its edge against her in kind. Net result, US is still in control, EU is a very distant third. And remember even if China can somehow balance out US power in Asia, the US is still the the only power that matters in the rest of the world.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon

OK.

I don't see China rising to dominate the world, so it doesn't bother me. I thought this argument was about China becoming more powerful, not the ruler of the world.
          They needn't become rulers of the world in order to become strong enough to bully us around.
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• They needn't become rulers of the world in order to become strong enough to bully us around.
            About what?

"The Gwai-Lo must buy more plastic trinkets or else!!"

I don't buy it. You don't want them to be strong enough to bully us around, but you want us to be able to bully them around?

Why? Because they're yellow?
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

About what?

"The Gwai-Lo must buy more plastic trinkets or else!!"

This is faintly ironic from someone prone to complain when the US bullies people around.

I don't buy it. You don't want them to be strong enough to bully us around, but you want us to be able to bully them around?

Why? Because they're yellow?

i) Because we're us and they're them.

ii) You're not us.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

• i) Because we're us and they're them.

ii) You're not us.
                No more succint definition of racism ever was.

Who will need to be kept down next? The blacks? The Jews?
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Food!!! **looks around...reads thread** OOOopps sorry just saw feeding the dragon. Thought there was food here
                  Welcome to earth, my name is Tia and I'll be your tour guide for this trip.
                  Succulent and Bejeweled Mother Goddess, who is always moisturised yet never greasy, always patient yet never suffers fools~Starchild
                  Dragons? Yup- big flying lizards with an attitude. ~ Laz
                  You are forgiven because you are FABULOUS ~ Imran

Comment

• And of course of all the identifying characteristics that can be infered from "us" and "them" you go for the racism card.

Next to that succint definition of racism is a picture of Agathon.
                    "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Aggie loves to claim racism especially when he's losing the argument.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• The problem is that you guys are just bloody mental.

Your arguments seem to come down to nothing more than ethnic chauvinism, particularly Oerdin's desire for an alliance of white/christian nations.

No one has given any reason why the Chinese should not be allowed to buy better weapons, other than unsupported fears of Chinese expansionism or the old "we don't want anything that would stop us from getting our own way".

The latter is not a particularly compelling reason at all unless you can supply some reason that "our way" would be better for everyone and not just us.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

• I've explained why I want western nations to come together in numerous threads. Its based upon shared cultural values, history, and social outlook thus it's more likely to work. You are the only one who keeps claiming racism.

I don't ever recall mentioning religion as a reason and if you check my past posts you'll likely find I'm rather anti-religious plus I'm a big supporter of muslim Turkey, Jewish Israel, and Hindu India.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• I think Japan is a key US ally. If and when China becomes a democracy I will take another look. Meanwhile of course we should not isolate China, but we SHOULD be careful about selling her advanced weapons.
                            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I've explained why I want western nations to come together in numerous threads. Its based upon shared cultural values, history, and experiences thus it's more likely to work. You are the only one who keeps claiming racism.
                              Except that there's no such thing. Most western societies are now multicultural societies anyway - the idea that democratic institutions and politics are uniquely western is poppycock.

Moreover, you have given no reason for western nations to come together than isn't a patently self serving American reason.

Why am I supposed to be afraid of China. Please explain why? I have no idea of why I am supposed to be terrified that China is becoming more open and more integrated into the world economy.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

No more succint definition of racism ever was.

Who will need to be kept down next? The blacks? The Jews?
                                I can't tell if you're just playing a rhetorical card, or really are weapons grade stupid.

Comment

Working...
                                X