• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunter S. Thompson Dead, Suicide

Details as they come in.

Drudge Report Website:

SON: AUTHOR HUNTER S. THOMPSON KILLS SELF

Troy Hooper, of the ASPEN DAILY NEWS, confirms that 'Gonzo' journalist Hunter S. Thompson shot himself to death Sunday at his Aspen, CO home... Developing...

No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Who?

Hunting.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Think "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".

Comment

He was a great journalist and writer.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

Developing...

If he shot himself to death, I'd say it can't develop much further...

Comment

Who?

Comment

"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

This guy did drugs or something, right?
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Hunter Thompson commits suicide

"Fear and Loathing" author dead at 67

By Troy Hooper
                  Special to The Denver Post

Post file
                  Hunter S. Thompson in his Woody Creek home, February 1997

Woody Creek - Hunter S. Thompson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at his home in Woody Creek on Sunday night. He was 67.

Regarded as one of the most legendary writers of the 20th century, Thompson is best known for the 1972 classic "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." He is also credited with pioneering gonzo journalism - a style of writing that breaks tradition rules of news reporting and is purposefully slanted.

Pitkin County Sheriff Bob Braudis, who is a close personal friend of Thompson, confirmed the death. His son, Juan, found him Sunday evening.

"On Feb. 20, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson took his life with a gunshot to the head at his fortified compound in Woody Creek, Colorado. The family will shortly provide more information about memorial service and media contacts. Hunter prized his privacy and we ask that his friends and admirers respect that privacy as well as that of his family," Juan Thompson said in a statement released to the Aspen Daily News.

"Details and interviews may be forthcoming when the family has had the time to recover from the trauma of the tragedy," Braudis said in an interview from Owl Farm, the rural Woody Creek home he moved into in the 1960s.

Thompson grew up in Kentucky. He is married to Anita Thompson, who grew up in Fort Collins. His son Juan lives and works in Denver. His grandson is William Thompson.

Thompson's books include "Hell's Angels," "The Proud Highway" and his most recent effort, "Hey Rube: Blood Sport, the Bush Doctrine, and The Downward Spiral of Dumbness."

Comment

I think I'll have to reread "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" tonight. The first chapter is some of the best writing, ever...
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Never read the book but the movie was hilarious, Depp and Del Toro were great.

Comment

Terrible.

Does anyone know if he was sick. He wasn't the kind of man to go quietly if that was the case.

His Nixon obituary was the best obituary ever written.

He will be missed.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                          Who?
                          Yeah right. Already pulled that one on you...
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

(Have to admit that only Hunter S. Thompson book I read was 'Fear and Loathing in Campaign Trail 72', but I enjoyed that greatly.)
                              "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                              "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Working...
                              X