• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damn

RIP Hunter
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Reread the authors note and the first essay of "The Great Shark Hunt" last night after I heard the news. That was the first book of his I read, later followed by "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" - both books left me in awe of the talent HST had. The fact that many people don't know him or anything beyond his public persona of drug-crazed lunatic is almost as sad as his death.

Rest in peace and thanks for the memories Hunter.

If at first you don't succeed, take the bloody hint and give up.

Comment

Looks a bit like Frank Butcher...
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Gary Trudeau of Doonesbury patterned Uncle Duke after him.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

A great loss... an excellent writer who followed his own path.
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A true original.. I've only read some interviews about him, seen fear and loathing in las vegas million times, and a 70s bbc documentary where they follow him around, which was extremely interesting documentary. And read the obituary he wrote... too bad, he truly was original.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Damn.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

He always was a fan of Hemingway so I guess the manner of his death shouldn't be too surprising.

33 points if you had him in your pool....
                  "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                  "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Suicide

I've never heard of him before, but since you guys say he's a great writer I'll go to the library sometime this week and check out one of his books.

Comment

Great writer.

Comment

Shocked and saddened beyond words. "Fear and Loathing '72" was one of the best political works I've ever read. Just..whoa
                        "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Space05us
                          Suicide

I've never heard of him before, but since you guys say he's a great writer I'll go to the library sometime this week and check out one of his books.
                          Please do, then you'll understand. Start with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and work from there.

I'm extremely saddened by this news. You probably already know that Thompson was a major inspiration of mine in trying to be a journalist and writer.

It's ironic, for me, that only a few weeks after giving up on that dream, my icon finally burns out.

All I can ask is, why? Okay he was a lunatic junkee but he'd survived 40 odd years of it, only to fall now
                          Res ipsa loquitur

Comment

suicide
                            B♭3

Comment

I don't like drug use or books about drug use.

Though I did see the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. That movie made no sense whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                                I don't like drug use or books about drug use.
                                The drug use was secondary. Most book stores filed HST under sociology (in my experience).
                                "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                                "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X