Chavez is loony, looney, looney.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oerdin

READ THE TITLE ON THE FIRST PAGE! ECONOMIC PERFORMANCE IN 2004!!! It was written three months ago.
    Ah, now you're getting rude again. I've been refraining despite how stupid you have been in this thread. Read the whole section regarding poverty. Those poverty stats are from 2003.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
      We've already dispensed with that number as inaccurate. &18
      If you look at the Extreme poverty rate (less than 1$ per day), it has grown from 18.7% in 1983-1999 to 32.5% in 2003.

This is certainly not something Chavez can be proud of.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• Originally posted by Kidicious

Ah, now you're getting rude again. I've been refraining despite how stupid you have been in this thread. Read the whole section regarding poverty. Those poverty stats are from 2003.
        It specifically and repeatedly says the numbers are from 2004.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Not according to the CIA. See under economy.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/...s/ve.html#Econ
          When you compare like with like, and when the numbers are not estimates, then bring the point up.
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue

When you compare like with like, and when the numbers are not estimates, then bring the point up.
            Spcifically, what do you claim is so unlike about the poverty rate figures?
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It specifically and repeatedly says the numbers are from 2004.
              READ IT!
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

• Some things to consider. The country suffered from two years of sharp recession in 2002-2003. According to this article (which I'm sure some will dismiss as being biased), the poverty rate was at 80%. This is not unexpected, recessions hurt people. However, poverty shrank apporximately 13% in 2004, from 80% to 70% (10% is 13% of 80%).

Also consider that while money may not be going directly to the poor in the form of money, the government has created "missions" in poor areas which dispense medical aid and subsidized food, which means that while they are poor, they are not as bad off as before. The government is also turning over government owned land to the poor, so all in all, it's better to be poor in Venezuela today than it was ten years ago.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The CIA is based on an estimate, and only has one figure, whereas the other divided poverty into extreme and not. It seems as though the latter is a more accurate measure.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

What they consider poverty to be. The official figure is an income of below $1 per day, rebased to 2000 USD. That figure is the 32.5% extreme poverty in the article cited, not the 70%. The 70% may be relative poverty, which is those living on half the average income. Thus obviously when GDP rises, it's easy for relative poverty to increase, if wages don't increase at the same time.

That's why you need two sources with the same definition of poverty.
                    Smile

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue
                      That's why you need two sources with the same definition of poverty.
                      I provided it. The extreme poverty was 18.7% in the 1983-1999 period. I don't know what "total poverty" means, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was a specific indicator to Venezuela, so I couldn't find a source going in one way or another.
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• What does 1983-1999 mean? Which is that figure for? Also, are they rebased to the same amount? While it could be a good comparison, it could be for any year in that period. What the poverty rate in 1983 was doesn't matter for analysing Chavez's policies. The 1999 one does.

If you want to measure Chavez's affect as a whole, have a look at the HDI, it's better than a GDP measure. Being higher on the HDI system than on the per capita GDP, I'd say Venezuala does quite well with what it has, and the GDP growth under Chavez last year is a good sign that financially it's headed in the rigth direction.
                        Smile

Comment

• I can show the US spoke out against the coupe and demanded coupe plotters step down.
                          Still waiting...
                          Tecumseh's Village, Home of Fine Civilization Scenarios

www.tecumseh.150m.com

Comment

• Ugueth Urbina's mother has been rescued from kidnappers, but the threat still weighs on the minds of Venezuelan players.

A pretty apolitical view (and the only one in this thread)
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• If there are 66 Venezuelans in MLB, then they should open a franchise in Caracas.

Comment

• I think the Dominican Republic is first in line.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X