No announcement yet.

This is why I hate "Presidents Day"...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is why I hate "Presidents Day"...

It's not that I mind having a holiday in bleakest February. But when I was a kid, we had two February holidays: Washington's Birthday and Lincoln's Birthday. This was lovely, as it gave us the chance to contemplate the lives and achievements of two great Americans. Then, apparently, insane-work-ethic types couldn't stomach the loss of two whole days of productivity in one month, and so they got combined into Washington-Lincoln Day, which was stingy but still allowed us to pay appropriate homage to great men. Then, sometime later -- for reasons that remain unclear to me -- it became Presidents Day.

Let's be clear: the very concept of Presidents Day smacks of fascism. It's no longer a day to honor the achievements of one or two great men, but instead a day in honor of Our Leader, period. Presidents Day lumps Washington and Lincoln in together with Nixon and Harding and says, "let's just honor them all." By why the hell should we? Washington-Lincoln Day set the bar high; Presidents Day lowers it to a level that's probably appropriate for a nation that thinks Coors is beer and American Idol is entertainment.

And why does this matter? Well, for example, there are the results of two new polls, one by Washington College and the other by CNN-USA Today.

Asked who was the greatest president, 20 percent of those polled [by Wash. College] chose Lincoln. Reagan was picked by 15 percent, Franklin D. Roosevelt by 12 percent, John F. Kennedy by 11 percent, Bill Clinton (news - web sites) by 10 percent and George W. Bush by 8 percent. Washington was picked by 6 percent.

In the CNN-USA Today-Gallup poll, Reagan had 20 percent, followed by Clinton and Lincoln in the mid-teens and then Roosevelt and Kennedy at 12 percent.
    Bush ahead of Washington. Clinton tied with Lincoln. JFK in both top-fives.

Of course Americans are congenital idiots with the historical memory of mayflies, but still. So I hate "Presidents Day."

There; I feel better now.
    Last edited by Rufus T. Firefly; February 20, 2005, 20:52.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Hey, at least Ronald McDonald didn't get in the top10..
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Let's be clear: the very concept of Presidents Day smacks of fascism.

KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You think that's screwed up? Around here we have a holiday known as "Lee - Jackson - King Day" in honor of Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Martin Luther King. This bizarre combination came as a duboius consession to black Virginians. A few years ago the Virginia legislature couldn't bring itself to give Rev. King his own holiday so they crammed him into the already existing combo holiday set aside for Virginia's two greatest Civil War heros.
        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
          You think that's screwed up? Around here we have a holiday known as "Lee - Jackson - King Day" in honor of Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson, and Martin Luther King. This bizarre combination came as a duboius consession to black Virginians. A few years ago the Virginia legislature couldn't bring itself to give Rev. King his own holiday so they crammed him into the already existing combo holiday set aside for Virginia's two greatest Civil War heros.

Man, I'm glad I'm a Yankee...
          "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Ronald Wilson Reagan Day

Comment

you hate what? traitor!

honestly, is it allowed to say that in the United States? in our news we get to hear terrible things about that regime... children being taken out of their boxes by soldiers and... I can't say any more... you and your family are in my prayers

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                Hey, at least Ronald McDonald didn't get in the top10..

Actually, the damn liberal elitists didn't put Ronald McDonald on the presidential ballot. The whole thing was rigged.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Meh, a day off is a day off.

Actually, I almost prefer the goofy government holidays. I mean, everybody travels on Memorial Day, so the roads are always packed. But hardly anybody gets Presidents Day and Columbus Day off, so they're perfect times to hit the beach. Or at least they would be if they weren't in February and October. And if there were a beach closer than the frigid and fiery waters of Lake Erie. But whatever.

And the fascism comment was the highlight of the OP.
                  Last edited by loinburger; February 20, 2005, 22:10.
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Let's be clear: the very concept of Presidents Day smacks of fascism.
                    I agree.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

If it's any comfort, car dealers still remember Washington and Lincoln's birthdays, if the commercials are anything to go by.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

If it's any comfort, car dealers still remember Washington and Lincoln's birthdays, if the commercials are anything to go by.
                        When the only true patriots are car dealers, you know that your nation is in trouble.

Lincoln

FDR
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                          Ronald Wilson Reagan Day
                          Oh let's not go halfway. In the spirit of the great State of Virginia, I propose . . . .

Ronald McDonald Woodrow Wilson Reagan Day.

You not only get the day off, but it comes with fries and the League of Nation home game.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon

When the only true patriots are car dealers, you know that your nation is in trouble.

Lincoln

FDR
                            Well, they do fly the largest flags...
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I was a carsalesman years back. Presidents day is the best day of the year.

I salute my sleazy old dealership.

I could go on for hours about how we scammed little old ladies out of thousands then, its better now from what I hear.
                              http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OLHMHMB&key=RRK

:-(

Comment

Working...
                              X