CIA Predicts Fall of America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by el freako
    That seems unlikely, one of the main reasons that the EU works is that no one nation can dominate it whereas in NAFTA or event FTZotA the US would easily be far more powerful than anyone else.

Add to this most american's clinging to quaint 20th century ideas of the 'sovereignty' of nations and I think such a pooling of sovereignty is unlikely in the America's

Europe has been on the forefront of developments in governmental systems for half a millenium and frankly I don't see our lead being overtaken any time soon.
    You're incorrect in the first part. The United States is the 800 lb. gorilla of the area. When they don't like something it tends not to happen, such as Canada legalising pot. When they want something they tend to get it, such as when they needed assurances that our ports of entry would not be a backdoor to their security measures post 9/11.

At the same time, if a company in California wanted to employ me, I would have advantages due to NAFTA. If I wanted to order products from the US or Mexico, it is trivially easy to get them across the border. If I want to visit New York or Tia Juana, I could cross the border(s) with a drivers license for the last 60 years or more, now I need an ID from the Yanks that is easy enough for me to get.

In short, many of the advantages that the EU has recently made possible in Europe have been enjoyed by Americans (geographically speaking) for a very long time.

You are correct in the second part. What Europe is doing in surrendering sovereignty to a larger organization is at the forefront of development. However, the Americans (nationally speaking) did that already between the 1770s and the 1860s. Their union was largely accomplished by the end of the Civil War. Europe is just now catching up.

...or at least, this is another way of looking at it.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackCat
      I can only find one solution to this problem, and that is to turn as many countries into democracies as possible - as far as I know, no democratic countries has ever gone into a war with another democratic country.
      The United States and France fought an undeclared naval war in the 1790s.

The United States went to war with Great Britain in 1812.

The United States and Mexico fought in the 1840s.

I'll over look the U.S. versus itself in the 1860s. I'll also over look the Indians wars, because those were less democracies and more anarchies.

The United States invaded numerous democracies during the 19th and 20th Centuries, but these don't rise to the level of war.

In 1900, the United States and Great Britain almost went to war over Somoa, however, a taiphun hit the island and sank the Biritsh fleet (Germany was also [resent, three way fight, but they sank also).

The United States fought Nicaragua in the 1980s.

Do you see a pattern here?

If one considers parlimentary monarchies to be democracies, then WWI was the biggest war between democracies.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
        The goal was to maintain superiority right? If we're going to form a closer union with someone then the obvious choice is people from the same cultural group as us. Its much more likely to work if all the parties have common bonds.

If you think that white people should rule the earth forever, then sure.

But what sort of madman believes that?
        Stop being an idiot. I'm talking about the US maintaining its superiority. to do that it will need closer alliances and deeper relationships with like minded countries which it has strong cultural, religious, historical, and (yes) ethnic bonds. To expect unions between two totally different peoples is not very realistic. Between countries which have long histories of friendship and alliance with strong cultural ties it just might work.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Stop being an idiot. I'm talking about the US maintaining its superiority.

What value is there in that for everyone else? You guys suck. Even the British Empire was better.

Frankly, no one else wants to be bossed around by the US. Recent events have only increased this sentiment worldwide. This vestigial cold-warriorism is just comical.

to do that it will need closer alliances and deeper relationships with like minded countries which it has strong cultural, religious, historical, and (yes) ethnic bonds. To expect unions between two totally different peoples is not very realistic.

Nonsense. That's just a racist attitude. You should be ashamed of yourself. Of whom do you speak? The American people? Last time I looked they were every colour under the sun and manifested as much differences between themselves as to the rest of humanity.

Between countries which have long histories of friendship and alliance with strong cultural ties it just might work.

Or we could just forget about it. Globalization will eventually render such sentiments moot anyway. The world will not suddenly fall apart if white, English-speaking people do not effectively run it.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Nonsense. That's just a racist attitude.
            No it's not. China and the West are rather alien to each other.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

On CNN tonight I saw just what this is about. Lou Dobbs and some cretin were moaning about China. Typical American Sinophobia. I don't care if the Chinese become predominant. It's going to make zero difference to me. If they try to boss us around, we'll do what we do when you lot do it. In other words politely ignore you.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

No it's not. China and the West are rather alien to each other.

They are not. Ask my brother, he speaks fluent Mandarin and Cantonese. The Chinese are remarkably like the rest of humanity - except that they tend to work harder and give things funny names like "The Happy Go Lucky Dragon Shop". I've taught dozens of Chinese students. Guess what - they write bad papers and don't do the readings - just like all the other students.

Jeez. I've currently got a student from Ghana and another from the Congo - they are entirely normal people - just like others from "foreign" cultures.

I have as much in common with a Chinese person as I do with a Russian. Of course that's not as much as I have in common with a Brit or a Maori, but they aren't extraterrestrials.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Of course that's not as much as I have in common with a Brit or a Maori, but they aren't extraterrestrials.
                  There are certain assumptions I share with other Americans. I don't have to try and figure out what they're think or explain myself to them. Europeans are slightly different from us. Africans are a little more different. The Chinese are the most different. That doesn't make them from outer space, but it does mean that they are alien to us.

Comment

Maybe institutions, systems of government, and expectations about little things like individual rights also form differences among different peoples and result in some nations being able to more easily identify with one another than with others.

Still, I think we're all screwing the pooch if we do not chase after India. They are already the greatest democracy on Earth. They already speak English as a first language. They already are willing capitalists.

Why we (the West) do not aggressively court India baffles me.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It also depends on how you define democracy (i.e. the myth about democracies and wars). The United States is a Republic, and due to the steady erosion of constitutional checks on the executive, i.e. Congress shall have the power to declare war, we now have an imperial presidency. Combine that with computerized gerrymandering of districts, you have a system that actually perverts the democratic intent of the founders and is closer to Putin's ideal of guided democracy.

Even more so have been the creation of a standing army since WW2, and the recent federalization of the National Guard. Now the President, as CIC, has substantial land forces that permit him to start hostilities without any revue until the next election. Our system of government right now is a threat to other nations, that combined with the idealogues who are in effective control of our federal government. This means that many countries are concerned, rightfully so, over the current hyperpower status of the US, and they will take appropriate means to rein it in.

Since the idealogues are also arrogant, which in combination with their rigid ideaology makes them stupid, it creates substantial opportunties. Look at China and it's industrialization at the expense of US Global companies. The Chinese company that is taking over IBM's PC manufacturing division is actually a de facto government enterprise when you check on the ownership. Airbus, Deutche Post (airfreigth), Toyota, Eurocopter, Taiwanese motherboards, Asian flat panel manufacturing, all show that practical government intervention, done correctly, can radically favor your industries and the wealth of your country over other's. Neither party has shown that kind of leadership in the United States for an extended period of time, and this country will pay a very harsh price in the middle and working classes for the failure of it's leadership.
                      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

This thread makes me despair.... i've known this was coming for many years.... seeing it all spelled out so clearly by so many posters SOMEHOW makes me hate Bush even more .

Comment

Don't despair too much. No way that the US will ever sink to the irrelevance of most former Euro powers.

You just won't run the whole game. Is that so bad?
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Competition can be a good thing.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

Even God couldn't bring us down now. The CIA has said its say; from this point we will be unstoppable.
                              guys, a stopped clock is correct twice a day.

Comment

There are certain assumptions I share with other Americans. I don't have to try and figure out what they're think or explain myself to them. Europeans are slightly different from us. Africans are a little more different. The Chinese are the most different. That doesn't make them from outer space, but it does mean that they are alien to us.

I take it that you don't think this gives you and yours the right to rule the rest of humanity.
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X