Condoleeza Rice: Worse NSA Ever?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One was. Bush set up a test case.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Damn. Which one? Padilla?
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Jose Padilla was arrested in Chicago.
        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
        -Bokonon

Comment

And IIRC, Hamdi was held in South Carolina.

Edit: Turns out Padilla was too.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

They need to charge him (Padilla), then. This isn't China.
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Not Hamdi (a citizen FYI)? You think you should be held as an enemy combatant if the US picks you up outside of the country?
              -Bokonon

Comment

You think you should be held as an enemy combatant if you the US picks you up outside of the country?

Pretty much. I'd also use it for non-US citizens picked up inside the US.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

China
                  -Bokonon

Comment

Hate to tell you this people - 9/11 was totally preventable. If the new FAA administrator was not so bound and determined on reorganizing the FAA so as to permit outsourcing, and if the people at the top of various agencies had seen fit to make certain that the info about aircraft as suicide bombs had been well disseminated, we might be in a different world.

FAA policy, as well as US Airlines, was to cooperate with hijackers and do whatever they say. That is why men with boxcutters could hijack an airliner. The cockpit of every airliner has a small fire ax, which, combined with a narrow door, gives you a narrow one-at-a-time access. The resulting tussle, even if the crew loses, should result in a crash versus a controlled suicide bomb. That is worst case.

Since I work for the FAA, and I have watched the fixation with outsourcing my job - as of October 1st my job is eliminated, with the rest of the system close behind - this is from direct observation and fact. The first thing the new FAA adminstrator appointed by Bush did was to declare Air Traffic as not inherently governmental (i.e. not primarily safety oriented), versus pay attention to any of the admittedly limited warnings filtering down to the FAA. By the way, my division of Air Traffic never did strike, so you don't need to to make any ad hominen attacks in response.
                    The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                    And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                    Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                    Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I don't think China is doing anything like that. They're too busy with Falun Gong and pro-democracy folks.
                      KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

But if China revoked citizenship from the pro-democracy folks or interdicted them outside of China, there's absolutely nothing with denying them due process and detaining them indefinitely.
                        -Bokonon

Comment

If there was reason to suspect that the apprehended people were planning or assisting terrorist attacks on China, then no.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So if the Chinese gov't says that there's reason to suspect the pro-democracy people were planning terrorist acts, without any judicial oversight, it'd be ok to detain them indefinitely.
                            -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                              They need to charge him (Padilla), then. This isn't China.
                              That's what we've been saying for quite some time now. Bush is pissing all over the Bill of Rights.
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Incidentally, I was watching an interview with Feingold, the only Senator to vote against the Patriot Act, where he was talking about his conversations about the Patriot Act with Ashcroft. He was saying that Ashcroft actually shared some of his concerns with regards to some of the more onerous provisions, but Ashcroft was over-ruled by the rest of the Admin. I suspect that Condi was a big part of that decision.
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X