IE 7, coming soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 7, coming soon

IE 7 will be coming sooner than anticipated. The beta will be out this summer.

SAN FRANCISCO--Reversing a longstanding Microsoft policy, Bill Gates said Tuesday that the company will ship an update to its browser separately from the next major version of Windows.

A beta, or test, version of Internet Explorer 7 will debut this summer, Microsoft's chairman and chief software architect said in a keynote address at the RSA Conference 2005 here. The company had said that it would not ship a new IE version before the next major update to Windows, code-named Longhorn, arrives next year.

In announcing the plan, Gates acknowledged something that many outside the company had been arguing for some time--that the browser itself has become a security risk.

"Browsing is definitely a point of vulnerability," Gates said.

The new browser version will work on machines running on Windows XP Service Pack 2, a security-focused update to the operating system that the company launched last summer, Gates said.

Mike Nash, an executive in Microsoft's security business and technology unit, said in an interview that Microsoft has not determined how or when the final version of IE 7 will ship, but that it is planned ahead of Longhorn.

Nash said it has not been decided whether IE 7 will come with a different Windows update, such as a security revamp.

"We'll be updating Windows on a regular basis," he said. "How the browser gets packaged--whether it's with a service pack--has not been nailed down. There is going to be a Service Pack 3 (of Windows XP). That's not a surprise. How that relates to (IE 7's release), we haven't figured out yet."

As recently as August, Microsoft said that no new stand-alone version was planned before Longhorn, and the company reiterated back then that its plan was to make new IE features available with major Windows releases. "At this time, there are no plans to release a new stand-alone version of IE," a Microsoft representative said.

Is Microsoft reacting to growing concerns about browser security, or does Firefox have it on the run? In November, Microsoft opened the door slightly to improving IE before Longhorn, though it indicated that improvements might come through add-ons to the browser, rather than through an updated version of IE.

Analysts attributed Microsoft's change of heart to the progress of the Mozilla Foundation's Firefox browser, which has made incremental but steady market share gains against IE in recent months. In a survey conducted late last year, Firefox nudged IE below the 90 percent mark for the first time since the height of the browser wars in the 1990s.

"I think it's a response to both the delay of Longhorn and the challenge of Firefox," said NPD Group analyst Ross Rubin, who added that Firefox was probably the sharper spur. "Were there no Firefox, they'd have more leeway to sit on it until Longhorn."

Bart Decrem, a founding member of the Mozilla Foundation, former head of its marketing and business development and current volunteer, said that Microsoft clearly was responding to the group's work.
    You can read the rest of the article
    here
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If it's an improvement, it's a good thing.

All I want is good software.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Meh. I highly doubt it will be better than Firefox, and I'm willing to bet it won't be standards compliant, for web designers once again to chose between MS and the W3C.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

IE will still be the number one browser, meaning it will remain the number one target for hackers.

Even though Firefox is and will probably remain my main browser, I still have to use IE once in while. For example, since I installed my Radeon, my desktop crashes everytime I use Firefox to go on 'poly. With IE, there's no problem.
          Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

that's because ati

though, i dislike ATi more because of their linux driver policy than anything.
            B♭3

Comment

The problem that causes the crashes, infinite loop problems or VPU recover errors, are not specific to ATI. Still, its a huge pain in the ass.

Comment

It's highly unlikely that MS would throw out the entire IE code and start from scratch, like what the Mozilla team has done. Which means that IE 7 is still going to be an ugly kludge.

However, I must give Mr Gates a for acknowledging IE is a security risk.
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  It's highly unlikely that MS would throw out the entire IE code and start from scratch, like what the Mozilla team has done. Which means that IE 7 is still going to be an ugly kludge.

However, I must give Mr Gates a for acknowledging IE is a security risk.
                  Are you kidding, UR? Look at the Mozilla codebase, a lot of it is leftover from Netscape.

Just not Gecko.

Javascript, for instance, is still from 4.x. As is the plugin infrastructure.

And incase you haven't noticed, most flaws aren't in the HTML parser anyway.

As much as I like Firefox, you can't point it to be an excellent example of security. There have been more Firefox flaws as late than IE flaws, it's just that Firefox's marketshare is smaller still, and not a big target.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Isn't there a rather large cadre of cyber-dorks out there who make viruses for the specific purpose of thwarting and irritating Microsoft, just for spite? I know that sounds Fez-ian but it's what I've always heard, and given how rabid certain folks are against Gates it makes sense, or at least as much as anything having to do with viruses makes sense, anyway.

I just switched to Firefox. I rather like the totally free, doesn't try to take over your desktop, popup smashing, built-in googling aspects of it, and with all respect for your confidence in MS, Asher, I don't share that confidence. That wretched MS Word has lost/corrupted so many frigging files for myself and my family it's not even funny.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's absolutely true that most of the anti-social idiots who make viruses and worms also happen to be people who hate MS and rail on them. UR will deny this -- why, I've no idea. It's pretty frickin' obvious.

And I must be pretty special, because MS Word has never eaten a document of mine.

Though it has saved my ass due to a power outage, thanks to the document recovery feature.

Comment

I'll just be happy if it can handle .PNG images properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          Javascript, for instance, is still from 4.x.
                          You mean the ECMA standard?

As is the plugin infrastructure.
                          What's wrong with it? A modular structure beats a monolithic structure.

And incase you haven't noticed, most flaws aren't in the HTML parser anyway.
                          The CSS support is all messed up. ALL messed up.

As much as I like Firefox, you can't point it to be an excellent example of security. There have been more Firefox flaws as late than IE flaws, it's just that Firefox's marketshare is smaller still, and not a big target.
                          Funny thing. There's no flaw in Firefox on the same level as ActiveX.
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

It's absolutely true that most of the anti-social idiots who make viruses and worms also happen to be people who hate MS and rail on them. UR will deny this -- why, I've no idea. It's pretty frickin' obvious.
                            Microsoft software happens to be full of holes might have something to do with that.

Then there's the fact that many people loathe or even hate Microsoft for good reasons.

For example, Clarke blased Microsoft for its security track record, and he is not the first high profile person who did it. Bruce Schneier had criticised Microsoft's lack of security in its software on a number of occasions before. And these are not the same people who have to work with MS stuff day-in day-out.

And I must be pretty special, because MS Word has never eaten a document of mine.
                            Almost as special as your luck with Linux on Athlon64
                            Last edited by Urban Ranger; February 18, 2005, 06:19.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                              You mean the ECMA standard?
                              No, he means Spidermonkey. And in case you weren't aware of it, reusing code that works is a good thing . I mean, sure, if the people writing Mozilla had wanted their browser to become relevant in, say, 2014 they could have just thrown away all of the code that was opened up by Netscape, but they didn't so we got Firefox in 2004 instead .
                              This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Working...
                              X