No announcement yet.

Las Vegas Space Program (Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, could be, unless they can't use a space shuttle (which I doubt the NASA would provide) they must look for alternative ways to bring people up there......
    Blah

Comment

Are the Russians involved in this? Seriously, on those last two pics it looks as if there are Soyuz (sp?) ships docked on the station...
      As far as I know, the Russians are involved only in launching up to 6 prototypes within the next 5 years. Maybe he has a couple of Russian emigres on the payroll. But I don't think he would be averse to buying rides on Soyuz, if the price is right and the Russians try to minimize his hassle. Businesses try to diversify their suppliers while governments tend to minimize their suppliers. SpaceX of California is also aiming to have a manned rocket launch program by the time Bigelow goes live on the Nautilus station. Bigelow is encouraging them as well.

What can they claim is theirs? I know in this case he's looking at an orbital hotel, but for others that might want to try mineral extraction etc, how can they ensure they get the goods and not the governments for example?

Is there space in space for corporate expansion or will national issues always get in the way(and proveing who's national interests they are is another bag of worms?), thus stopping the potential investment by private companies and individuals?
      We don't know. The US government regulates these spacecraft (indeed, home governments are obligated under international treaty to regulate these spacecraft). Further, technology trade issues are sometimes brought up when exporting these spacecraft for launch. You might be precluded from doing so, in some circumstances and depending on the type of spacecraft.

But currently, the US government focuses on rocket launch more than orbital hotels or solar sails. Presumably, they are more worried with regulating rockets that could be refitted with warheads than with inflatable stations that are not seen as potential military articles. I don't think the US government would give you too much hassle with regard to your mining operations, so long as you have some place to put your trash and have reasonable safeguards for the uninvolved public. If you mine it, you own it. First come, first serve. Bigelow already has authorization to launch his stations from the US Government on either American or Russian rockets.

Because of the first come, first serve nature of space law, it might be tricky to trade in space among companies of different nationalities. You might have a hodgepodge of companies from different countries operating on the moon right next to each other, and they would want to trade with one another. There isn't any customs service on the moon yet.

I should note that communications satellites are a special class of spacecraft and are more heavily regulated.
      Last edited by DanS; February 17, 2005, 16:58.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

$$$

Only because those spacecraft are the only ones that actually make money. As soon as another type starts to make serious money, the regulators and taxers will come out of the woodwork.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I don't doubt it. And currently, you're precluded from setting up shop in Bermuda and creating a more friendly space regulating authority.

On the other hand, the internet has been relatively successful in keeping the tax man and regulators away.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

What stops space debris from tearing these open?
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Several layers of strong fabric -- 1.5 feet thick. This setup is several times stronger than the 3 inch aluminum hulls on the International Space Station.

Comment

self-sealing goo like they use in those repair-a-flat spray cans.
                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

Comment

I'll digress slightly for a momment. I've been playing an old time favourite computer game of mine recently: Elite(or FFE in the latest version).
                  Its just that this discussion puts me in mind of it, as you have mankind spreading through space and we have divided up into various political factions plus a neutral 'corporate' faction.

I'm guessing that whenever it gets cheap enough that many companies want to invest in space exploration, then current governments will find it increasingly hard to keep a lid on it all?

If at this future point we are still living on the same kind of finacial model we do now, then we should expect corporations to lead the way in space?

Microsoft world? Planet EA? etc

maybe no bad thing really.
                  'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Currently, governments have tight control over all launch resources. This will have to change for governments to lose control over space.

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                      Yeah, could be, unless they can't use a space shuttle (which I doubt the NASA would provide) they must look for alternative ways to bring people up there......
                      Virgin Galactic
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Interesting. I need to admit that I'm wrong about the US government regulating all on-orbit commercial manned activity. In short, the US government (the FAA) only regulates the launch and landing of spacecraft. The US government hasn't gotten its paws on on-orbit commercial manned activities yet.

Now, this isn't to say that if the private guys did something the government didn't like, they wouldn't just yank the launch and landing approval.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
                          "Nautilus Corporate Yacht"

That would be SWEET.

Comment

Working...
                          X