No announcement yet.

NHL talks reaching a breakthrough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not saying that a super short season won't suck, but it may be necessary to save the game, no matter how crap.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Not a great way to win back your fans though - "Look, we're playing! Oh nevermind that we suck! We're still worth your hard earned cash." Think any teams will reduce the gate after all this BS? - fat chance.

Comment

Originally posted by dejon

Don't know who you're referring to. I've never managed to get into minor hockey, despite living 5 minutes from the St. Michael's Majors' rink.
        CHL Mosaik MasterCard Top 10 - Week Number 16

Rank Team Last Week Weeks in Rankings
        1. London Knights (45-4-2-0) 1 16
        2. Kootenay Ice (34-13-5-1) 2 8
        3. Kelowna Rockets (31-10-11-2) 3 7
        4. Owen Sound Attack (32-11-5-2) 4 10
        5. Chicoutimi Sagueneens (32-13-5-3) 6 13
        6. Halifax Mooseheads (31-12-7-2) 8 5
        7. Seattle Thunderbirds (34-17-0-1) 5 13
        8. Rimouski Oceanic (30-17-4-3) NR 5
        9. Medicine Hat Tigers (31-16-3-2) NR 7
        10. Saskatoon Blades (30-16-5-4) 9 14

Junior hockey is the last time to see great players before egos and contracts ruin them.
        "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
        "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

hmm-- ANY season is better than no season ( 24 game season played completely within divisions anyone ??)

but I am not holding my breath

Its been really tough to care about a dispute between millionare players and millionare owners--- The players make millions to play a GAME while the owners have been largely been negotiating to get protection from the actions of other owners.
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil

1. London Knights (45-4-2-0) 1 16
            Okay, that's pretty commanding.

Comment

Not a great way to win back your fans though - "Look, we're playing! Oh nevermind that we suck! We're still worth your hard earned cash." Think any teams will reduce the gate after all this BS? - fat chance.

Well people like goals and the unfortunate thing is that you are probably right in that it might take the goalscorers longer to get into top fight while the clutch and grabbers will be ready to go
              You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Okay, that's pretty commanding.
                Ya and they were undefeated for a long long time

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
                  24 game season played completely within divisions
                  Yeah, that's not going to favour anyone, eh?

(Two divisions had all teams over .500 last season, and one had only one team over .500. )

Comment

Yeah, that's not going to favour anyone, eh?

(Two divisions had all teams over .500 last season, and one had only one team over .500. )

Bottom line is that if you can't play at least 40 games you are going to get into silly stuff anyway-- Since divisions won't work well anyway -- if you want 8 teams from each conference in the playoffs, the best we might be able to do is a 28 game schedule in which everyone plays everyone else in their conference twice and we totally ignore the divisions.

You could even spice it up by adding a one game playoff for the last two playoff spots between the teams finishing 7-10th in a conference.

For sure, every game would feel like it mattered--

If we don't have enough time for a long enough season, we could always go to 5 game playoff series

Comment

You sound like a desperate man Flubber.
                      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil
                        You sound like a desperate man Flubber.

nah -- just looking for credible ways to have a hockey season

I actually don't really believe it will happen and think I will take in a few lacrosse games soon

Comment

It'll be better than no season... and it's necessary because they aren't going to do jack unless there is a deadline and this is a deadline.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

The players want some kind of pay check for the year, and the owners wouldn't mind seeing some revenue either... If they agree on a salary cap, the owners will have gotten what they wanted...
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                              The players want some kind of pay check for the year, and the owners wouldn't mind seeing some revenue either... If they agree on a salary cap, the owners will have gotten what they wanted...

well since the owners are widely perceived as having gotten soundly whipped in the last two rounds of negotiations, they are pretty unwilling to give in on this round.

Bottom line is that owners have other sources of income-- For the players there is NOWHERE they can make NHL style money (well maybe that Russian league but with smaller crowds than NHL and people paying much lower ticket prices, its hard to see how that is sustainable)

Comment

The owners goal was a salary cap... and the players said no way... now they are saying yes... the owners have won. It's now just a simple matter of having them agree on what it will be. The owners counter offer of 42.5 million, is still far off from the 52 the players offered, but now the real negotiations can begin. The dam has broken, and the owners have won.
                                Keep on Civin'
                                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                                X