Bush's deficits and the coming crunch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oerdin
    Interesting article in the Economist on Bush's continuing deficits.
    http://www.economist.com/countries/U...ofile-Forecast
    Willing to wager an avatar on that $450 billion figure?

Double up!
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• You never came up with an avatar last time.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Oh well, maybe I can think of one this time...
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Bump.

Comment

• Signs of stagflation...
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• This is a good bump. The deficit probably will be about $260 billion for this fiscal year. Not $450 billion. The Economist was only about $200 billion off...

Oerdin has been my deficit biatch since 2005.

Comment

• Did you read the article in the other thread about the government lying about the deficit? They're using creative accounting which would land any CEO in jail.

In any event the US continous to get poorer and our government continues to not act responsiblely. This is not a good policy any way you look at it even though you have successfully argued that it isn't as bad as many people thought it is still bad.

Comment

• As I stated in the other thread, nobody was misled (except apparently you) and the intent was not to mislead. It's the way federal gov't books have been kept since the founding.

The only real criticism that can be offered is that the federal gov't deficit number doesn't include some debt that the US gov't offers domestically and internationally -- e.g., the IMF and World Bank.

Comment

• Deficit still sucks.

Comment

• Signs of stagflation...
                      People like you and Chegits have been using this term ever since 2002, saying how it's coming up, just around the corner. In the USA, inflation is low, growth is great. There are NO signs of stagflation visible nor have there been during the past 5 years. You're making the term meaningless.

Deficit still sucks.
                      It's debt-based growth. When government spends wildly, there's lots of loose money floating around, fueling short-term growth. When Bush started, the federal debt was around 60% of the GDP. Lots of playing room to rack up debt without dramatic consequences, altough all debt is is basically a short-term stimulus in expense of a long-term decline. It doesn't really make sense to upkeep a deficit during an economic upturn, but it certainly does not cause a collapse of the US economy in the immediate future.
                      Last edited by RGBVideo; October 26, 2006, 05:20.

Comment

• hate to tell you about the truth about Americas budget issues.

We have been deficit spending long before GB II, why is he getting all the blame...he is just adding to the insult and so will the next president
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• True, we have typically had deficits but Bush has made a huge deficit in a very short period of time. It isn't just Bush but actually the Congress since one party controls all branches of government they can spend, spend, spend without anyone to stand against them. Politicians have figured out that pork pays so they load spending bills will obsene amounts of pork. I imagine the thing which pisses off Democrats most is that they are virtually excluded from the biggest pork roasts while the Republicans make sure most of the spending goes to their districts.

Since the Dems can't get in on the pork fest they are reduced to *****ing about the deficit and hoping for their day at the trough. Split government would be best since it would keep both sides from getting to greedy. With one party rule we end up with things like those two bridges to no where in Alaska one of which was supposed to be as long and as big as the Golfen Gate bridge but would only connect a remote island with a population of 50 people.

Comment

• AHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by Platypus Rex
                              hate to tell you about the truth about Americas budget issues.

We have been deficit spending long before GB II, why is he getting all the blame...
                              yeah, hate to tell you about the truth...

EDIT: the original graph had 2003 and 2004 data based on Congressional estimates. I corrected these estimates to match the official information available in US budget (all year totals adjusted to dollar value of 1996, as the graph title says).
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by RGBVideo; October 26, 2006, 23:58.

Comment

• By that graph speaks volumes about how the Republicans spend, spend, spend and just rack up the debt.

Comment

Working...
                                X