No announcement yet.

Bush's deficits and the coming crunch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's not a **** sandwich. It's good for you.

The proportion of the economy that needs to be devoted toward the manufacture of useless **** is going down. This is a positive phenomenon, despite the fact that useless **** manufacturers are having to find new jobs and we have to finance the gap in useless **** trading as the relative importance of useless **** declines.
    Last edited by DanS; November 30, 2005, 18:45.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Originally posted by Colon
      As it stands now, the corporate sector is a net provider of capital, while both the gov't and household sectors are net borrowers. I really don't see how any transition from would cause the corporate sector's traditional deficit to flip to a surplus. If anything a costly transition would cause business to require more capital, not less. No?
      Not necessarily. New manufacturing plants require large amounts of capital. The services industries not so much.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• You guys must be having an entire industry dedicated to cooking up new economy theories like that one. (Remember they once told us that international interest diveregences had become irrelevant to exchange rates?)

It's really simple, US' current account deficit is the result of consumption in excess of savings. You are borrowing to consume.
        DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• I agree. But you're assigning a negative bias to that.

Comment

• Listen, I'm just following the argument. From the perspective of the argument, we should be most concerned if the trade in services became a large deficit. AFAIK, we're still in strong surplus on services -- the future of the economy.

Comment

• Like what? A given dollar of consumption rather investment means there's no return to that dollar in the future. Manufacturing vs services got nothing to do with that.
              DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

• A certain % of that dollar towards consumption goes to a corporation as profits and is then reinvested.

Comment

• Originally posted by Colon
                  You guys must be having an entire industry dedicated to cooking up new economy theories like that one.
                  Let's say rather that our economy is well diversified.

Comment

• Colon & KH: 20 years from now, what proportion of the economy do you figure manufacturing to be around the first world and in the US? In the US, the figure is now only a little north of 10%.

Edit: Hmmm... The decline is rather less rapid than I thought...
                    Last edited by DanS; November 30, 2005, 19:33.

Comment

• GDP compositions

Canada
                      agriculture: 2.3%
                      industry: 26.4%
                      services: 71.3%

USA
                      agriculture: 0.9%
                      industry: 19.7%
                      services: 79.4% (2004 est.)

Wow. Really huge difference there. Enough so that it makes sense that the change in NIIP for the US is -25% in the last decade and +35% for Canada in the last decade...
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                        Colon & KH: 20 years from now, what proportion of the economy do you figure manufacturing to be around the first world and in the US? In the US, the figure is now only a little north of 10%.

Edit: Hmmm... The decline is rather less rapid than I thought...
                        I don't know, does it matter that much? Manufacturing doesn't equal low-tech, low-added value activities or vice versa. Prostitution is a services sector, for instance.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                          I agree. But you're assigning a negative bias to that.
                          could you explain me how that could be positive?
                          I need a foot massage

Comment

• I note that, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, the US economy is growing a 7.2% annualized nominal rate.

That nominal rate will accomodate a rather large deficit.
                            What do you mean by "accomodate"?

If you mean it makes our deficit sustainable, then clearly our debt (as a percentage of GDP) will be lower next year than it is this year.

But that is, most emphatically, not the prediction of the CBO or any other source I can think of.

The US has had high nominal growth rates for the past twenty years. But debt as percentage of GDP has increased considerably over that period.

The reason is fairly clear. We only get the high rates of growth because of the deficit spending. But the amount of growth we get is lower than the price we pay in interest. No big surprise, of course.
                            VANGUARD

Comment

• Our debt as a percentage of GDP may be lower next year than it is this year. It all depends on how much the congress decides to spend this year and how the economy does.

But that is, most emphatically, not the prediction of the CBO or any other source I can think of.
                              The CBO, like other government sources, is constrained in what it can predict. They follow rules not necessarily intended to result in the most accurate prediction. It is not smart to trust these sources. That's what burned Oerdin in our bet.

But debt as percentage of GDP has increased considerably over that period.
                              It peaked in 1996.
                              Last edited by DanS; December 1, 2005, 11:41.

Comment

• In 1985 debt as a percentage of GDP was a little more than 50%. At the end of this year, it will probably be pushing 70%. That is a "considerable" increase by any standard and a huge increase given the fact that we are the world's largest economy by a factor of two.
                                VANGUARD

Comment

Working...
                                X