Rafik al-Hariri - Former Lebanese PM - Assasinated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rafik al-Hariri - Former Lebanese PM - Assasinated

Hariri, a billionaire businessman who resigned from government last October, recently joined calls by the opposition for Syria to quit Lebanon in the run-up to general elections in May, Reuters reported

Monday's explosion occurred before a backdrop of increasing political tension ahead of parliamentary elections scheduled for May.

Lebanon's pro-Syrian government, which counts on its neighbor for security, has come under fire from the anti-Syrian opposition, which says Lebanon can take care of its own security.

Syria maintains about 16,000 troops in Lebanon, based mainly east of Beirut and in the Bekaa Valley, according to the CIA. The Arab League approved that troop deployment under the Ta'if Accord at the end of the 1975-90 civil war.

After Israel withdrew from southern Lebanon in 2000, the opposition began to demand that Syria withdraw as well. The U.N. Security Council passed a resolution last October calling on Syria to withdraw.

A syrian job?
    Last edited by Eli; February 14, 2005, 08:39.
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Pretty gruesome pics there as well

It certainly looks like a syrian job. He was threatening syrian interests after all. But if this was a state assasination it was very clumsy. More like state terrorism...
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

Please post in the other thread, which happens on the first page, Eli
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It appears that something odd happened.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Then fix it
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

A little-known group calling itself Victory and Jihad in Greater Syria issued a statement claiming responsibility and saying the blast was caused by a suicide bomb, but the claim cannot be verified.
            BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service
            I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

The US immediately started rattling sabres with Syria, even though nobody knows who did it yet. Hell, it might even have been a mafia-style hit, seeing as how the guy was worth billions and involved in many shady deals.

Why the Bush admin feels that further tension is needed in this situation, I will never understand.
              "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
              - Lone Star

Comment

Originally posted by Jaakko
                The US immediately started rattling sabres with Syria, even though nobody knows who did it yet. Hell, it might even have been a mafia-style hit, seeing as how the guy was worth billions and involved in many shady deals.

Why the Bush admin feels that further tension is needed in this situation, I will never understand.
                well they must be evaluating who is the weakest link, Iran or Syria... NK has nukes already so they are out of the picture...

This is just to keep the options open
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

the US did not rattle sabres, but merely said that this reiterates the need for Syria to withdraw. Such withdrawl would be in accord with a recent UNSC resolution, one supported by France as well as the US, and is desired by many different groups in Lebanon. The US did NOT say that Syria was at fault.

But between you and me, Syria probably was. Mafia? they can move around explosives in such quantity in Syrian occupied Lebanon? Besides, shortly after the bombing, a video appeared of a Palestinian claiming the attack on behalf of Al Qaeeda, which the Lebanese authorities quickly stated was who did it. If its NOT AQ, than its a pretty good bet that this is a deliberate coverup of Syrian involvement.
                  "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

What does Syria gain from de facto occupying Lebanon? It can't be exactly free to maintain an army there.
                    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                      What does Syria gain from de facto occupying Lebanon? It can't be exactly free to maintain an army there.
                      see Daniel Pipes, "Greater Syria, the History of an Ambition".
                      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                        the US did not rattle sabres, but merely said that this reiterates the need for Syria to withdraw. Such withdrawl would be in accord with a recent UNSC resolution, one supported by France as well as the US, and is desired by many different groups in Lebanon. The US did NOT say that Syria was at fault.

But between you and me, Syria probably was. Mafia? they can move around explosives in such quantity in Syrian occupied Lebanon? Besides, shortly after the bombing, a video appeared of a Palestinian claiming the attack on behalf of Al Qaeeda, which the Lebanese authorities quickly stated was who did it. If its NOT AQ, than its a pretty good bet that this is a deliberate coverup of Syrian involvement.
                        Taking advantage of an assassination to start pushing for a Syrian withdrawal isn't sabre rattling? I'd say it fits the category rather comfortably.
                        What the hell does that mean anyway? What kind of "pushing" are we talking about? The Syrians sure aren't going to give a **** about such vagueness if it doesn't imply a willingness to take punitive action.

In conclusion, even without that kind of speak, the risk of further violence and destabilisation is very high, so it would behoove the US to shut the **** up and not start empty posturing. The US isn't popular around that part of the world, remember?

BTW, why would it be impossible for criminal groups (with or without political/religious connections) to move explosives in Lebanon?
                        Mind, I'm not saying it was done by such interests, I'm just wondering where you get such precise knowledge.
                        - Lone Star

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

see Daniel Pipes, "Greater Syria, the History of an Ambition".
                          Be advised that Pipes is a bit of a bigot.
                          - Lone Star

Comment

Jaakko, when was the last time a billionaire got whacked?
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                              Jaakko, when was the last time a billionaire got whacked?

- Lone Star

Comment

Working...
                              X