Iraqi election results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iraqi election results

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - A Shi'ite Islamist bloc won Iraq's first election since Saddam Hussein's overthrow, sealing the political resurgence of the nation's long-oppressed majority.

The Electoral Commission said on Sunday the Shi'ite list, known as the United Iraqi Alliance, took more than 47 percent of the vote. But this was less than the bloc had predicted and leaves it six or seven seats short of a majority in parliament.

A powerful Kurdish alliance came second with 25 percent, while a grouping led by interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, a secular Shi'ite, came third with nearly 14 percent. Few Sunni Arabs took part in the voting, which effectively marginalizes the minority that has traditionally ruled modern Iraq and held a privileged position under Saddam, a Sunni.

The commission said 8.5 million Iraqis, or 58 percent of registered voters, cast ballots in the Jan. 30 poll, Iraq's first multi-party election for half a century.

Edit: More detailed numbers in this article:

The Shiite-dominated United Iraqi Alliance ticket received 4,075,295 votes, or about 48 percent of the total cast, Iraqi election officials said. The Kurdistan Alliance, a coalition of two main Kurdish factions, was second with 2,175,551 votes, or 26 percent, and the Iraqi List headed by the U.S.-backed Allawi finished third with 1,168,943 votes, or about 14 percent.

Those three top finishers represent about 88 percent of the total, making them the main power brokers as the assembly chooses national leaders and writes a constitution.

Of Iraq's 14 million eligible voters, 8,456,266 cast ballots for 111 candidate lists, the commission said. That represents a turnout of about 60 percent, several points higher than the predicted 57 percent.
    Last edited by Edan; February 13, 2005, 11:43.
    "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Hmm, to me, the most interesting question is if the Kurds become part of the government or not- if the Shia list decides to ally with others to form a mayority, it will make the issue of how much autonomy the Kurds get much more contientious. If the Kurds are in the government, then I would assume most of their demands would have to be met, if not all.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

And now, the Shiites will democratically establish religious state
      "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
      I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
      Middle East!

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
        And now, the Shiites will democratically establish religious state
        Actually, the United Iraqi Alliance is a coalition of religious and secular Shiites.

The leaders of the Shiite alliance have said the new Iraqi government, if they end up with enough votes to form it, will be headed by a secular figure. Fewer than a half dozen of the alliance's 228 candidates are clerics. And a likely alliance with the Kurdish parties, which are secular, could blunt the Islamists.

Still, many Iraqis say Mr. Mahdi, secular-minded though he is, would be under fierce pressure from Iraq's clerical establishment to accord Islam an expansive role in the permanent Iraqi constitution the national assembly is to write this year.
        "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

The Kurdish leader is Talabani.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

This is all good news. Although it's pure speculation at this point, I expect a national unity government among the top three lists. Allawi's list might be the odd man out, though. The Kurds might ask for the presidency, even though it is only symbolic. I've heard that they don't think the Arabs will ever allow a Kurd president or prime minister, so this is a good test of the matter.

A government with ~72% support would be very good, and would keep some of the UIA factions in line.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

i think that the other 52% should get together and form a coalition that doesnt include the UIA.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I wanna know how the commies did. I know we got at least 26%, since both Kurdish parties are communist.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    I wanna know how the commies did. I know we got at least 26%, since both Kurdish parties are communist.
                    It is a pity to think of the past progress of communist parties in both Iraq and Iran and where they are at now
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Was this far from what was expected?

Comment

Iraq Election Officials Announce Final Results

The Shiite religious list, known as the United Iraqi Alliance, received 48 percent of the votes, well below the 60 percent some had predicted. The alliance is likely to take about 132 of the 275 seats in the National Assembly, but will probably fall short of winning an outright majority.

The second-largest bloc in the assembly will go to the main Kurdish alliance, which took 25 percent of the vote, good for about 70 seats. Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi's group came in a distant third, with just under 14 percent and probably about 38 seats.

The largest Sunni-Arab-led ticket, topped by Interim President Ghazi al-Yawar, came in fourth, with less than two percent of the votes. His group will probably take four or five seats in the assembly.

Election officials will not say exactly how many seats each group has won, until the results are officially endorsed.

There is a three-day window for complaints before the results become official. Election officials will then do a complicated series of calculations to determine how many seats each group will get.

A preliminary analysis shows a total of 12 groups probably winning seats in the assembly, including an ethnic Turkmen party, the Communist party, a labor alliance, and a group of Assyrian Christians.

The Shiite list is clearly in a dominant position, but it will need to forge an alliance with at least one other group before it can form a government. The prime minister and president need to be approved by two-thirds of the assembly members.

The Kurds' strong second-place showing puts Kurdish leader Jalal Talabani in a good position to press for the largely ceremonial presidency. But there are several other possible alliances that could emerge, and behind-the-scenes negotiations have been underway for weeks, if not longer.
                        Most major Sunni Arab groups boycotted the election, and in most of the country, Sunnis stayed away from the polls. Election officials say the voter turnout was only two percent in Sunni-dominated Anbar province, compared with 58 percent nationwide.

The National Assembly's main job will be writing Iraq's new constitution.

Mu.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Unfortunately the capital of the country is in the middle of the area inhabited by the "marginalized" people.
                          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

From what I'd read, the Communists were expected to do quite well, taking as much as 20% in places like Basra.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                              The Kurdish leader is Talabani.

Talabani controls one of the two leading Kurdish parties each of which share almost 50-50 power in Iraqi Kurdistan.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X