• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by child of Thor
    @ MLeonard - go to Swansea instead, its got a cinema
    Ci-ne-ma? We don't have those in London
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Clear Skies
      It's an urban truism that most Londoners have never 'done' London tourism. We had some friends over from California recently and they were gobsmacked to hear we'd never been on the London Eye, never been round the Tower or Buck Pal or anything like that. To which our response was: so what? Those aren't the 'most typical' bits of London, they're the exceptions; to get a real feel for central London you need to spend a day doing all the stuff that matters.
      My wife and I have never been to the Alamo, the biggest tourist attraction in San Antonio.

ACK!
      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

So what are the not-so-big tourist attractions in San Antonio?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy

the existence of the foreskin. Home turf and all that...
          Home turf and foreskin.... are you sure it's not a novel about a bitter love triangle in a rugby scrum ?

I'm sure it'll be a literary mohel stone.
          Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=120527

MLeonard, I created a similar thread to this last year prior to my London trip. You may find some useful information there...

Some of the highlights for me were: Watching a performance of "Measure for Measure" at the Globe Theater. Magnificent Architecture: St. Paul's Cathedral, etc . Hanging out at Trafalgar Square. Museums - the National Gallery was best, imo.. Heckling a speaker at Speaker's Corner + the general entertainment at Speaker's Corner... Tower of London was very cool - make sure you wait for a Beefeater to guide you around...

To save money on food, eat at Quick (fast food chain) stores during the day and then go out for pub food at night... Sample as many different beers as you can and report back with your favorite. My favorite was McMullen's Ale - not every place serves it. I sampled it at Nag's Head on James St in Covent Garden. Also, find a place to serve you some absinthe before you leave...

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Hackney?
              20 minutes walk from Bethnal Green. Or half an hour from Islington High Street. Or do what everybody else does and get the SilverLink metro to a real tube station.

yourself.

No one has mentioned West Minster cathedral yet. If you're idea of fun is visiting famous people who have kicked the bucket, this is the place.
              Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
              "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy

20 minutes walk from Bethnal Green. Or half an hour from Islington High Street. Or do what everybody else does and get the SilverLink metro to a real tube station.

yourself.
                I don't care, not really an area I would ever venture into
                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison

I don't care, not really an area I would ever venture into
                  What's wrong with it? I went to a show there at a place called Jongleurs and I thought it was alright.. Reminded me a bit of South Philadelphia - my old stomping grounds... Dress like a blue-collar type, stick your chest out, and you'll fit in just fine...

Comment

Just don't live there. When my sister wants to recycle something, she leaves it outside the door and it's gone inside three minutes.
                    "Love the earth and sun and animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown . . . reexamine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency" - Walt Whitman

Comment

Originally posted by Cruddy

No one has mentioned West Minster cathedral yet. If you're idea of fun is visiting famous people who have kicked the bucket, this is the place.
                      Possibly because you're confusing the Roman Catholic Westminster Cathedral with the Anglican Abbey of Westminster.

Although the Cathedral has a beautiful interior and a Neo-Byzantine exterior, the Abbey has it beaten on age, incluson in a World Heritage site, and the number of dead famous people and royalty interred within.

The Cathedral is well worth a visit on its own, but the Abbey has the historical cachet.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Originally posted by molly bloom

Possibly because you're confusing the Roman Catholic Westminster Cathedral with the Anglican Abbey of Westminster.

Although the Cathedral has a beautiful interior and a Neo-Byzantine exterior, the Abbey has it beaten on age, incluson in a World Heritage site, and the number of dead famous people and royalty interred within.

The Cathedral is well worth a visit on its own, but the Abbey has the historical cachet.
                        Walking through the abbey felt like walking through someone's attic with all of the plaques and memorials and tombs stacked upon each other.. It's ashame you cannot take pictures there.. There was a nice memorial to FDR.. Stuck around for evensong the day I was there, which was nice...

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000

Walking through the abbey felt like walking through someone's attic with all of the plaques and memorials and tombs stacked upon each other.. It's ashame you cannot take pictures there.. There was a nice memorial to FDR.. Stuck around for evensong the day I was there, which was nice...
                          It's a very beautiful building indeed.

The choir at the Cathedral is also very well respected and has won several awards for its recordings of choral music.

Certainly if anyone is interested in ecclesiastical architecture, London has a great variety of churches to choose from, with some very fine works of art in them.

Comment

i've been studying and planning for the trip... i leave on thursday evening.. i can't wait!

here is a schedule of things i hope to do, separated by things i hope to accomplish per day:

1 British Museum
                            ---------
                            2 British Library
                            -----------
                            3 Westminster Abbey/ Trafalgar Sq./Big Ben/Parliament (possibly evensong)
                            National Gallery
                            Nat’l Potrait Gallery
                            -----------
                            4 Tate Modern
                            Globe Theater
                            Show @ Nat’l Theater
                            St. Paul’s Cathedral
                            (possibly evensong)
                            -----------
                            5 Museum of Natural History
                            Victoria and Albert Museum
                            -----------
                            6 Tower of London
                            Tate Britain

how hard would it be to get to hampstead? i would love to see keats' house but it seems awfully far out of central london. though i could be wrong.. i have no sense of how far away it is just by looking on the tube map...

i have about 8 days there total. so i'm hoping if i don't get to all my planned destinations in one day, then i can just go back on one of my free days.

i was able to get a ticket to the erasure concert at the hammersmith on saturday, which i'm EXTREMELY excited about.

i have some suggestions for clubs and nightlife, but any suggestions for good areas to shop or eat and specific shops/restaurants etc. would be appreciated, especially places in the south ken area.
                            Last edited by MLeonard; March 2, 2005, 01:34.
                            "Please saw my legs off." - George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by MLeonard
                              i've been studying and planning for the trip... i leave on thursday evening.. i can't wait!

here is a schedule of things i hope to do, separated by things i hope to accomplish per day:

1 British Museum
                              ---------
                              2 British Library
                              -----------
                              3 Westminster Abbey/ Trafalgar Sq./Big Ben/Parliament (possibly evensong)
                              National Gallery
                              Nat’l Potrait Gallery
                              -----------
                              4 Tate Modern
                              Globe Theater
                              Show @ Nat’l Theater
                              St. Paul’s Cathedral
                              (possibly evensong)
                              -----------
                              5 Museum of Natural History
                              Victoria and Albert Museum
                              -----------
                              6 Tower of London
                              Tate Britain

how hard would it be to get to hampstead? i would love to see keats' house but it seems awfully far out of central london. though i could be wrong.. i have no sense of how far away it is just by looking on the tube map...

i have about 8 days there total. so i'm hoping if i don't get to all my planned destinations in one day, then i can just go back on one of my free days.

i was able to get a ticket to the erasure concert at the hammersmith on saturday, which i'm EXTREMELY excited about.

i have some suggestions for clubs and nightlife, but any suggestions for good areas to shop or eat and specific shops/restaurants etc. would be appreciated, especially places in the south ken area.

South Kensington isn't renowned for its reliably affordable eating establishments alas. What kind of shopping are you interested in ?

As for the Keats House Museum, if memory serves the nearest underground is Belsize Park which is on the Northern Line, so if you set out on the day you arrive you should get there just before you have to return to the States (local humour).

No really, it should take you about 10-20 minutes on the tube from Central London.

It's quite cold at the moment, so wrap up warm.

Comment

Don't go to London - its expensive, depressing and the food is really bad.

Have you ever met a Londoner? Not friendly.

To cap it off, the beer is warm and flat. Dreadful.
                                Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                                X