Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MLeonard goes to London!!!

HELLO!

Well, the day has finally come. I have planned to go to London for my Spring Break!!

I'll be staying with a friend in South Kensington near the Natural History Museum.

I'll be there from the very early morning of March 4th until March 11th.

Anyway, I know nothing about London and have never actually been to Europe before so please recommend some essential things to do in London and/or the S. Kensington area or any general London travel tips! Perhaps we could plan a small get together (though I will be with non-Apolytoners and I'm not sure how they would react.. but a pint with some friends never hurt anyone...)?

CHEERS!
    "Please saw my legs off." - George Carlin

i think you'd be better off at that other site. a few more britons there.
    I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

London, and indeed most of urban UK is a ****hole, best avoided. Go to continental Europe instead
      "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
      "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I went to university in South Ken, campus wedged between the museums and the Royal Albert Hall, and surrounded by a myriad of embassies and consulates.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

You're still alive?
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Well there are a few of us who live in London so give us some kind of idea of a date and we'll see what we can do...
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
              Well there are a few of us who live in London so give us some kind of idea of a date and we'll see what we can do...
              March 4th until March 11th.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I was meaning more specifically including a time
                Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I disbelieve.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                    London, and indeed most of urban UK is a ****hole, best avoided. Go to continental Europe instead
                    Sigh. Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

Give me some ideas of what your interests are MLeonard, and I'll see if I can come up with some cogent recommendations.

If you like art, for instance, a major exhibition on the work of Turner, Whistler and Monet has just opened at the National Gallery, there's a huge exhibition on ancient, mediaeval and contemporary African art and culture at the British Museum and the Hayward Galleryand other venues, there's an exhibition on the glories of Turkic cultures at the Royal Academy featuring works never before seen outside Turkey, Kevin Spacey is currently appearing at the Old Vic theatre, Patrick Stewart is also appearing in a stage play (began last week), there's several walking tours I could recommend, specific historical sites....

as I said, let me know.
                    Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

...says the man from Northampton
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

...says the man from Northampton
                        Tragi-comedy.

Who knew Whaleboy was such a fan of that dramatic genre ?

I went through Northamptonshire once. They hadn't finished it of course, they were still waiting for live people to move in and outnumber the living dead.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

I liked London.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Don't worry Oerdin, he's speaking out of his arse
                            Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Don't worry Oerdin, he's speaking out of his arse
                              Whaleboy's moved to the Right ?

Comment

Working...
                              X