Carly Fiorina kicked out of HP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oncle Boris
    Hmm... let's see. Plato, Aristotle, Plotinus, Aquinas, Ockham, Descartes, Kant, Hegel, Nietzsche, Wittgenstein, Heidegger, Husserl, Sartre, Habermas, Gadamer, Foucault, Putnam.
    How many of those were in the past 50 years, and what have they contributed?

I think this will be the 4th or 5th time in this thread alone I've had to tell people that philosophy hundreds of years ago is different in usefulness from today.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher
      Ethics are based on morals, and morals are relative to the person.
      Now that's a load of crap. How is it that persons throughout ages have happened to share moral beliefs?
      In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Now that's a load of crap. How is it that persons throughout ages have happened to share moral beliefs?
        Influence of the parents and religion?

If morals are absolute, how is it that morals throughout the ages have changed?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

How many of those were in the past 50 years, and what have they contributed?
          Stop at Husserl.

I think this will be the 4th or 5th time in this thread alone I've had to tell people that philosophy hundreds of years ago is different in usefulness from today.
          Yeah, because there comes a point when ideas stop evolving...

Influence of the parents and religion?
          That's it, these are external factors, which at best mildly rely on purely subjective concepts. That was my point; as for moral absolutes, that's another debate.

Comment

There becomes a point that "philosophy" branched off into many different fields which specialized in something.

That's it, these are external factors, which at best mildly rely on purely subjective concepts. That was my point; as for moral absolutes, that's another debate.
            If something is not relative, it is absolute.

If something relies on something else that exists before, then it is relative.

Comment

• Derrida was also in the last 50 years and he studied under Foucault.

Speaking of philosophers... Fukiyama, but I don't think he meant ideas stop evolving with his "End of History" .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Speaking of philosophers... Fukiyama, but I don't think he meant ideas stop evolving with his "End of History" .

Comment

• Epistemology, or at least the study of knowledge, is a flawed concept to begin with, since we can never honestly prove that we know anything. In order to justify a belief to be true, we must put forth a deductive argument (if (premise) then (conclusion)), which states that the conclusion must be true if the premises are. The main flaw in many epistemological queries is that they assume premises whose existence cannot be proven by any non-omnipotent beings like most of us humans. In fact, one might even say that epistemology begs it’s own question; can one prove what one knows if one may not truly know that they know anything? (Uhhuh…). But I digress, if questions like these didn’t exist, we would have nothing to scare the crap out of opiated intellectuals or your common household stoner, and so epistemology serves perhaps the most important purpose known to mankind.

René Descartes is probably my least favorite person, ever. Not only can I blame him for algebra, but also for the amount of annoying doubt-riddled philosophical jargon produced by him and his cronies. He started off well enough with his simple observation: “Cogito, ergo sum” – “ I think, therefore I am”, which actually kind of makes sense… good one René! I suppose he must have changed to a stronger brand of opium at this point, because things start to get weird pretty fast.

Comment

• Naturalized epistemology? Holism?

Only feebs vote.

Comment

• This is getting tiresome... Like Colin McGin said:

I tired quickly of this kind of lunchtime discussion, in which the value of my discipline was routinely questioned by people without the faintest idea of what it involves. I was often reduced to advising my interlocutor to read a book.
                      Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Oh, those poor pompous persecuted philosophy majors. Why doesn't anyone understand how (self)important their work is!

Comment

• Well, apparently a lot of people do... philosophy departments do not seem to be too badly underfunded.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• What is there to fund?

You're paying a bunch of people who couldn't find a private sector job to save their life, and that's about it.

Comment

• I'm not pompous, nor do I feel persecuted. Saying that philosophy is valuable is not being pompous. However, categorically condemning something you obviously don't know much about isn't intellectually honest.
                              Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Epistemology, or at least the study of knowledge, is a flawed concept to begin with, since we can never honestly prove that we know anything.
                                Solipsism doesn't get you anywhere.
                                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                                X