Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: Unfair Taxation

Originally posted by Dissident
    most states without an income tax have high sales tax. My state is one example.
    That's because your state, like my state, has other massive sources of revenue than taxing its own citizens' income, i.e., tourism. We have beaches and a mouse, you have gambling and prostitution. A high sales tax allows us to tax tourists, and thus, supposedly, tax residents less. Generally, we don't have to pay sales tax on food and shelter, so we're pretty insulated from having to pay for our state services.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Pinocchio's nose

To Whom it may concern,

I am writing in the hopes of informing you of my situation, which I believe contains elements related to taxation and individual liberties that may be newsworthy and of interest to many.

For 3 + years I have been in conflict with the State of Oregon related to an unemployment insurance tax they have attempted to levy upon me, and to their determination that I am an employer. While this may seem a common issue, I assure you that the circumstances are very different from the usual employment case.

First, I did not pay my supposed employees, they paid me referral fees when computer support customers that I referred them paid them for services they rendered. So Oregon is attempting to levy a tax upon me in which I am neither the payer nor the payee!

Second, the presumption of prima facie correctness was used by the State to support an essentially circular argument: In the first hearing the Employment Dept. contended that I am a Unemployment Insurance taxable employer because I supposedly indirectly paid (I call this the phantom payroll concept) the affiliated technicians. In the second hearing about their subsequent payroll tax audit and assessment, their argument was that since I am an employer, I must have indirectly paid the affiliated technicians wages!

Third, Oregon Law requires employers to make true and accurate quarterly payroll reports, and certify those reports with their signature. Since I am not a party to these transactions, I have no way of certifying how much customers paid affiliated technicians for computer services rendered. It seems unlikely that the Legislature would have made impossible demands of otherwise legitimate businesses, which indicates that the language of the law directly contradicts the Employment Dept. phantom payroll concept.

Fourth, since wages paid are a deductible business expense, if I deduct their phantom payroll from my real income on my federal schedule C, my business would be operating each year with a sizable loss. If I were to apply their indirect wage payment concept and make that deduction, it seems likely that I would be guilty of income tax fraud.

Lastly: On Oregon Dept. of Revenue Letterhead, from a Senior Policy Analyst, I have been informed that THE AMOUNTS THAT THE CUSTOMERS DIRECTLY PAID THE TECHNICIANS, WHICH THE TECHNICIANS ACCEPTED AND DEPOSITED INTO THEIR OWN ACCOUNTS AND SPENT AS THEY PLEASED, CONSTITUTES MY INCOME. This seems to be in direct contradiction to the commonly understood Federal definition of income, but is necessary for the phantom payroll concept to make any sense using generally accepted accounting and tax accounting rules and methods - see my fourth point above.

Thanks for your interest and for passing this along to any and all who might also have an interest.

Sincerely,

Mark Gross

Comment

Allowing any deductions for state taxes on the federal income tax is unfair.

Comment

Fair is a silly concept, but I agree in principle on removing state tax deductions for federal taxes.
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Wait, WTF?

Comment

If there's a federal deduction for state taxes, why don't the states just hike taxes a whole hell of a lot...?
              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                If there's a federal deduction for state taxes, why don't the states just hike taxes a whole hell of a lot...?
                Subsidizing something usually increases its consumption, but it doesn't necessarily increase it "a whole hell of a lot".

Comment

gribbler, your argument doesn't make sense. Inasmuch as the federal deduction fully refunds state taxes, the states have no economic incentive not to to raise taxes to precisely the federal rate, thereby capturing 100% of the tax revenue at no (marginal) deadweight loss.

Comment

But still, what the ****? Why was this thread nevived?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                      gribbler, your argument doesn't make sense. Inasmuch as the federal deduction fully refunds state taxes, the states have no economic incentive not to to raise taxes to precisely the federal rate, thereby capturing 100% of the tax revenue at no (marginal) deadweight loss.
                      Does it really fully refund the state taxes? Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                        Inasmuch as the federal deduction fully refunds state taxes, the states have no economic incentive not to to raise taxes to precisely the federal rate, thereby capturing 100% of the tax revenue at no (marginal) deadweight loss.
                        For this to be true then everyone's perception of the effect of the tax would have to be the same. Which obviously isn't the case.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                          Does it really fully refund the state taxes? Wow.

i.e. I'm pretty sure that it actually doesn't fully do so

Comment

Okay. I assumed it wasn't anywhere near a full refund when I responded to HC.

Comment

It sounded like a full refund to me, though I don't think that would make sense. Does anyone know what the break actually is?
                              If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                              ){ :|:& };:

Comment

The breakis that income paid as state taxes is deducted from your income for the purposes of federal taxation. The federal government therefore subsidizes your state income tax to the tune of your federal marginal tax rate (e.g. 28-35%).
                                12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Killing it is the new killing it
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X