Unfair Taxation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unfair Taxation

I discovered an instance of unfair taxation. The Federal tax codes were changed last year to allow people who live in states that don't have income taxes to deduct their sales tax. How is that fair to those of you who pay state income taxes?

If Florida doesn't tax me on my income, I get to keep that money (except for the portion that the Fed's take). Why should the Fed's then go ahead and give me an additional bonus? Now, not only do I get to keep the money that wasn't taxed, unlike those of you who are taxed, I get to declare the sales taxes I paid, while you don't, and you still had to pay sales taxes.

This isn't fair to the rest of you. Either you should be able to declare your sales taxes also, or we shouldn't be able to. Not that it benefited me, since I don't have enough itemized deductions for it to have made a difference.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Flat Tax, not.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Quick question - Does the federal tac code allow people in states with state inccome tax to deduct that income tax in calculating federal tax?? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning
      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Unfair my azz! Before states with income taxes (and consequently low sales tax) were able to deduct that on their federal income taxes. States that only had a sales tax could deduct nothing...nada...zero. This new law FINALLY levels the playing field. The system before was the grossly unfair one.
        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

How is that fair to those of you who pay state income taxes?
          Che, you know that you deduct what you pay in state income tax on your federal income tax, right?
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber
            Quick question - Does the federal tac code allow people in states with state inccome tax to deduct that income tax in calculating federal tax?? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning
            You bet it did. Now there is a choice. You can deduct eithier (in states with both) one and therefore choose which gives you the bigger deduction.
            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Although what Che is saying is true. If a state has both sales tax and income tax then you should be able to deduct both...
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                Although what Che is saying is true. If a state has both sales tax and income tax then you should be able to deduct both...
                I do agree with this statement, but calling the new arrangement unfair is way wrong. It is a HUGE step in the right direction.

Comment

Che, you should ask your friend Polyton accountant first.

You're right, on a state by state basis the sales tax deduction is unfair. The people of your state, Florida, can benefit the most.

Though, here's the kicker. The deduction is such an outlandishly small percent that only on the occasion where you actually pay more in sales tax than in state tax will it really help. So if you're looking to buy a high ticket item nows the time.

If you are a real nut, you could always add up all of your receipts from the year, like they did in ancient times, and hope that it's more advantageous.

Anyways, to answer your question, the sales tax deduction isn't such a big advantage. In fact, it's probably a bigger pain in the ass than most people will stand to deal with.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. It seems unfair that a person can deduct all if his state uses one type of taxation but only a portion if his state uses two methods
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

Thats what I was thinking. It seems unfair that a person can deduct all if his state uses one type of taxation but only a portion if his state uses two methods
                      The table that you have to use to calculate your deduction way underestimates the amount of sales tax you actually pay...unless of course you want to keep all your reciepts for the whole year. It is NOT a boon, but rather a move in the correct direction.

Comment

If you are a real nut, you could always add up all of your receipts from the year, like they did in ancient times, and hope that it's more advantageous.

Don' you guys do that anymore?
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Don' you guys do that anymore?
                          I think that deal was cut out of the tax code in the 80's. The IRS was probably sick of receiving shoe boxes in the mail.

Comment

Che, you know that you deduct what you pay in state income tax on your federal income tax, right?
                            I'm aware of that, yes. But if I don't pay state income taxes, I'm not being penalized by the Feds. Let's try it like this.

I make 50,000 and pay no state income tax (for sake of argument). I get taxed on the whole amount.

PLATO makes 50,000 and has to pay a state income tax of 1%, so afterwards, the Fed's tax him on 49,500 of income. Even though I don't get a break on that 500, I still come out ahead of PLATO, since I have 500 more than him, before taxes.

Both of us pay sales tax, but only I get to deduct it. So now, not only does he have to pay a state income tax, but I get to declare a tax we both pay, but he doesn't get to declare it.
                            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle

I think that deal was cut out of the tax code in the 80's. The IRS was probably sick of receiving shoe boxes in the mail.
                              I have a way to figure it out. Reverse receipts. Send in how much you pay in rent (sales tax exempt), non-junk food groceries (ditto), medical care, tuition etc (all the sales tax exemptions). Call this A. Then send in your bank balance at the beginning of the year and the end of the year. B and C respectively. Then send in your income (D).

D - C + B - A is how much you spent on taxable goods and services. Multiply by your state's sales tax to get E, the amount you spent in sales tax during the year.
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                              X