'02 - '04 US productivity best for over 50 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '02 - '04 US productivity best for over 50 years

Productivity is slowing, but wow, what huge growth over the last 3 years!

Productivity is the single biggest determining factor of the long-term living standard of a nation, so this sort of increase is fantastic news!

2004 Productivity Rate Caps Three-Year Run

By Martin Crutsinger
    AP Economics Writer
    Thursday, February 3, 2005; 8:41 AM

The productivity of American workers, the critical component for rising living standards, increased by 4.1 percent in 2004, capping a remarkable three-year period in which worker efficiency climbed at the fastest pace in a half century.

However, the Labor Department reported Thursday that productivity for the final three months of the year was up at an annual rate of just 0.8 percent, which was the slowest quarterly increase in almost three years.

The rapid gains in productivity began slowing in the July-September quarter when productivity rose by just 1.8 percent after increases at rates of 3.7 percent in the first quarter and 3.9 percent in the second quarter last year.

Productivity, the amount of output produced for each hour of work, is the key factor in boosting living standards because it allows companies to pay their workers more based on their increased efficiency without having to resort to raising the price of their products, which would increase inflation.

Productivity rose by 4.4 percent in both 2002 and 2003. When combined with the 4.1 percent increase last year, the 4.3 percent average gain for those three years was the strongest burst in productivity since 1948 to 1951.

However, the downside of that increased efficiency is that companies, by getting more output from their existing work force, are able to avoid hiring new workers.

That is what occurred during the recession year of 2001 and the following two years in which job losses mounted as companies, pressed by increased global competition, strove to get increased production from slimmer work forces.

The strong productivity gains have kept the lid on inflation, but now with productivity slowing, some analysts are concerned that the Federal Reserve will abandon its gradual approach to raising interest rates should wage pressures begin to mount.

In a second report, the Labor Department said that the number of newly laid off workers filing claims for unemployment benefits totaled a seasonally adjusted 316,000 last week, a decrease of 9,000 from the previous week, pushing new claims to the lowest level since early December. Claims had risen by 7,000 the previous week after having plunged by 49,000 for the week ending Jan. 15.

The decline of 9,000 jobless claims last week represented a better-than-expected showing. Many analysts had been forecasting not a drop but an increase of about 5,000 in new claims being filed. The four-week moving average of claims dipped to 331,500, the lowest level since early January.

On Friday, the government will report on unemployment in January. Many analysts are looking for the jobless rate to remain steady at 5.4 percent with businesses adding 200,000 workers to their payrolls, an improvement from the 157,000 jobs added in December.

For all of 2004, employment grew by 2.2 million workers, the first annual gain after three years of job losses as the counry struggled to cope with the 2001 recession and a jobless recovery that reflected in large part the ability of U.S. companies to get more output from a smaller work force.

The productivity report also showed that output rose by 2.8 percent in the fourth quarter while the number of hours worked was up by 1.9 percent.

The 0.8 percent increase in productivity for the fourth quarter was the weakest showing since a 0.4 percent drop in the first three months of 2001.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

you know DanS, sometimes you remind me of the TV broadcasts from 1984(Orwell)........
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I can't answer for your perceptions, so I won't try.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Oh no! A postive thread about America! Who will save us?
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

What sectors are we talking about? Manufacturing, services, or both?
          Visit First Cultural Industries
          There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
          Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Both. Manufacturing had the following productivity growth...

2002: 7.6%
            2003: 5.0%
            2004: 4.9%

Comment

Apparently personal incomes rose 5% last year as well. Hopefully I'll get a job soon, cuz I'm in a much better job market than stinky old Jacksonville.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Have you noticed DanS, that when you are trumpeting the jobs-growth figures you are using one series and when you enthuse about productivity growth you are using another?

It would be nice if you were consistant.

Using the payroll employment figures from the BLS productivty growth (GDP per man-year as I have no data on total hours worked, but average hours worked does not tend to vary much in the US) has been 2.7% a year compared to the 4.2% that your favoured measure has been reporting.

So, which is right then? if productivity has really been racing along at 4.2% then employment should have fallen by 1.8m since 2000 whereas the payroll employment figures you also like trumpeting show a rise of 2.3m

You can't have it both ways DanS, either there has been massive productivity growth and employment is falling, or there is employment growth and productivity is growing much slower.
                19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

So, which is right then? if productivity has really been racing along at 4.2% then employment should have fallen by 1.8m since 2000 whereas the payroll employment figures you also like trumpeting show a rise of 2.3m
                  Who ever said that payroll employment figures show a rise of 2.3 million since 2000? It certainly wasn't me, because that figure would be wrong.

Rather, the big deal was made about a couple million new jobs since August, 2003, when the job market began to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS
                    I can't answer for your perceptions, so I won't try.
                    fair one.

How does the huge(and growing so we're told on BBC tv news) budget deficit factor into these things? Does it have any effect on peoples standard of living? And in the world economy, how and who decides when its too high?
                    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

I can't answer for the BBC's misuse of adjectives either. So I won't try.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
                        How does the huge(and growing so we're told on BBC tv news) budget deficit factor into these things? Does it have any effect on peoples standard of living?
                        It's driving up interest rates, but slowly. We just had a small increase the other day. The annual deficit, however, is expected to nearly double by the end of Bush's term, to more than $860 billion a year, if he gets his way and the tax cuts are made permanent and with the Medicare changes coming online.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

ok well hows 'pretty big' ?

Ah ok ref that last post cool. We are also having a shake up of pension issues here(they sort are having a draining effect on the economy like your medicare stuff). In fact i think the UK deficit is pretty high at the momment too. House prices are crazy - there has been a 30% drop in first time buyers, finding themselves priced out the market.
                          Last edited by child of Thor; February 3, 2005, 12:34.

Comment

The "pretty big" deficit has turned the corner, so the deficit isn't getting worse. (See NIPA Table 3.1, Line 39).

But that doesn't make entertaining news.

Comment

Since the late 60's under LBJ, the standard of living for the average American worker has either remained static or drifted downwards (except for an uptick during the middle of Clinton's adminstration).

Although this recent upsurge in productive could and should be reflected in an inceased standard of living for the employees, it won't be. Rather, it'll be syphoned off to (a) increase dividends to the investors or (b) be used to buy out other companies, leading to decreased competition, which in turn leads to increased prices and decreased services.

And the standard of American's employees will continue to decline.

Comment

Working...
                              X