No announcement yet.

Computer help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solver, have you tried changing the connection of the keyboard PS/2<->USB?

Comment

Not an option. It's PS/2 only.

Gotta run Windows in debugging mode, and try to see which driver is loaded at the moment the keyboard stops responding.
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

No, that doesn't make sense to me at all.

The BIOS may control things like dynamic clocking to make the chip run cooler, or adjust voltages, but I don't think it has any truth to it.

In all honesty, HP Laptops have a bad reputation for quality.
        Im starting to see that my self. Thanks for your help. I guess Ill just have to keep paying for warrnties till i get the darn thing paid for. Thanks again.
        When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
        "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
        Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Maybe, you could disconnect the keyboard after the BIOS has identified it and wait after the ups.exe to fail and connect it again.
          I know PS/2 isn't hot pluggable, but maybe it works.

Here is a warning though, if the motherboard is older:
          Vcc/Ground provide power to the keyboard/mouse. The keyboard or mouse should not draw more than 100 mA from the host and care must be taken to avoid transient surges. Such surges can be caused by "hot-plugging" a keyboard/mouse (ie, connect/disconnect the device while the computer's power is on.) Older motherboards had a surface-mounted fuse protecting the keyboard and mouse ports. When this fuse blew, the motherboard was useless to the consumer, and non-fixable to the average technician. Most newer motherboards use auto-reset "Poly" fuses that go a long way to remedy this problem. However, this is not a standard and there's still plenty of older motherboards in use. Therefore, I recommend against hot-plugging a PS/2 mouse or keyboard.

Comment

reformat, reinstall.

yes that's pretty much my answer to everything.

Comment

Thanks Atahualpa, I'll try that... my motherboard is new enough, so that should not be a concern. Failing that, I'll give my computer a good kick - that always seems to work. Or failing that, I'll buy a USB keyboard, although most keyboards that are sold are really crap, I love mine.

Comment

FY http://www.usbwholesale.com/ps2%20usb%20converter.htm

Comment

Don't you have USB ports for your computer, Solver?
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Yup, trying that with a PS/2-USB converter in a moment.

The problem is, it's impossible to buy a keyboard now. All keyboards either have funky key layouts, that "ergonomy" BS, or at the very least, extra buttons for power on/off/sleep/whatever. I want my old-style, 1997 keyboards! Which also is what I'm working on, but these are harder and harder to get...

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                      Yup, trying that with a PS/2-USB converter in a moment.

The problem is, it's impossible to buy a keyboard now. All keyboards either have funky key layouts, that "ergonomy" BS, or at the very least, extra buttons for power on/off/sleep/whatever. I want my old-style, 1997 keyboards! Which also is what I'm working on, but these are harder and harder to get...
                      The BF's the same way, so I got him a standard beige IBM keyboard. The design's been unchanged for I don't know how long, and it's designed to withstand at least a million keystrokes.

$9 CDN, too.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Get a slim key keyboard, such as those in notebooks. I like them very much.

Comment

Yuck. They are impossible for touch typing.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

The BF's the same way, so I got him a standard beige IBM keyboard. The design's been unchanged for I don't know how long, and it's designed to withstand at least a million keystrokes.
                            Exactly, only to get what I want, I had to go and see where no longer needed keyboards are.

Comment

Ok I know nobody wants to deal with computers on superbowl sunday but rather then call Hp back and start yelling I thought id come back to this thread and see if i can get an answer. I sent my laptop back and the said they reflashed the bios. One of the reason i sent it in was because every time you turn it off and then back on the time doesnt keep any ideas?
                              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

dead battery

Comment

Working...
                                X