Computer help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer help please!

Feels weird to be posting one of these... absolutely don't have the time or energy to investigate the cause of the problem for the entire evening, so I need your help.

The problem: I boot Windows XP, it boots to the welcome/login screen, and keyboard does not respond. Numlock light won't work, no key at all will work. Consequently, I can't input my password and get on with it. Also, if I wait for some 5 seconds, a message box appears that ups.exe (I got the UPS service running) has performed an invalid memory operation, OK to shutdown it, Cancel to debug, neither helps. Gah I hate Windows for that. The keyboard is unresponsive before that message, too.

Yes, my keyboard works. I can hit F8 and boot into safe mode (with the same result), and I can boot into Linux, as I just did. So it's just Windows that won't work, and exactly when I happen to want to run it.

Ideas about what causes it, what to do, etc., are very much welcome. I don't want to resintall the darn thing.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Are you sure the keyboard works? All keys work under Linux?

It probably does but I just thought I'd check... sometimes they "partially" fail.
    Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
    "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

Yes, it works perfectly. All keys work under Linux, and if I hut numlock while windows is loading, the light does also flash on and off... I'm sure it's not a keyboard fault.

Comment

Boot into safemode and disable UPS.exe, see if that changes anything.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If I boot into safemode, I still can't enter my password because the keyboard still gives me the finger.

Comment

Go back to the basics,

Take the UPS out of the circuit.
            Pull the network cable.
            Etc. until it will run again.
            We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Hang on... even theoretically, can the UPS be to blame for the problem?

Comment

Yes, if the UPS service is crashing with a memory error, it's screwing with your system's memory...which can make things act unexpectedly and undesirably.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I know this isnt my thread, but can I ask a computer question in here to. I dont want to start a new thread on a simple issue.
                  When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
                  "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
                  Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Thank you I have a laptop i bought 3 months ago. before The computer after about 3 weeks started to freeze up. I recently sent it to HP to fix because the computer just shut off and i couldnt get it to turn on. They did what they did and returned it and so far its been fine. However The only thing they keep telling me is that they reflashed the bios. The did state something about the csmos chip is the reason for the reflash of bios. Can somebody tell me what this meansin english please. I know what the Bios is but have no clue to why it would not let the notebook recieve power.
                      When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.

Comment

The BIOS is the Basic Input/Output System. It's very low-level code specific to your machine, and basically sets up and configures the hardware for the Operating System, including the power system.

Flashing the BIOS means loading new code to it, usually updated code. It sounds like there was a bug in the BIOS, and upgrading the version fixed that bug.

Comment

My main concern is that the thing is only 3 months old what are the chances of this happening again considering i still owe like 1300.00 us dollars on the thing. They told me laptops over heat alot and that if you use it alot this could cause this need to reflash the bios. Is that true?

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs. Tuberski
                            My main concern is that the thing is only 3 months old what are the chances of this happening again considering i still owe like 1300.00 us dollars on the thing. They told me laptops over heat alot and that if you use it alot this could cause this need to reflash the bios. Is that true?
                            No, that doesn't make sense to me at all.

The BIOS may control things like dynamic clocking to make the chip run cooler, or adjust voltages, but I don't think it has any truth to it.

In all honesty, HP Laptops have a bad reputation for quality.

Comment

hihihi

Comment

Working...
                              X