Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why has Capitalism failed to produce optimal value everywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why has Capitalism failed to produce optimal value everywhere?

So according to capitalists value is equal to price in a free market. So then if the cost of something goes up, and the price goes up then value has been created? Just the opposite is true. Value is created by decreasing costs.
    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Wha??
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Oh, this is a continuation thread. Apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by GePap
        Wha??
        Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
        The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Wha??

Comment

Wha??
            "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

I guess you guys can't handle this.

Comment

Corruption, i say.
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                  Kid, if you are attempting to explain something and literally everyone has trouble following what you are saying then the problem likely isn't everyone else.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

According to commies (well, at least kid), all work is of equal value, and pricing is just a problem of supply. So a surgeon working on you for an hour in a life-saving procedure has done something of equal value as a person assembling washing machines for an hour. It's only because there aren't enough surgeons (or are there too many washing machine assemblers?) that your life is more valuable than a washing machine, apparently.

Also, value is never relative, there's always a fixed social value. A loaf of bread is equally valuable to a starving person than it is to me right after I've stuffed myself at a buffet table.
                    "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                    "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                    "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Wha??
                      DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Originally posted by Kidicious
                        I thought I handled the continuation in the continuation thread very nicely, thank you very much.

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                          According to commies (well, at least kid), all work is of equal value, and pricing is just a problem of supply. So a surgeon working on you for an hour in a life-saving procedure has done something of equal value as a person assembling washing machines for an hour. It's only because there aren't enough surgeons (or are there too many washing machine assemblers?) that your life is more valuable than a washing machine, apparently.

Also, value is never relative, there's always a fixed social value. A loaf of bread is equally valuable to a starving person than it is to me right after I've stuffed myself at a buffet table.
                          Well, Kid is wrong. There is an obvious difference in an hour of labor requiring a long education vs. an hour of basic manual labor.

As for the loaf, there the value is created by the individual, not the other way around. someone who is starving will value a loaf of bread more than a person who is stuffed. The actual value of the loaf has not changed thought- its not like if a starving man walked into a supermarket he would all of a sudden be charged more than someone who is not hungry.
                          If you don't like reality, change it! me
                          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

The value is a summation of the individual values at any given time and is a function of time. The aggregate value changes for any given number of reasons but one thing holds is that it changes over time.

Comment

Well, Kid is wrong. There is an obvious difference in an hour of labor requiring a long education vs. an hour of basic manual labor.

As for the loaf, there the value is created by the individual, not the other way around. someone who is starving will value a loaf of bread more than a person who is stuffed. The actual value of the loaf has not changed thought- its not like if a starving man walked into a supermarket he would all of a sudden be charged more than someone who is not hungry.
                              While I agree with you on the face of it, that's not the point. It has nothing to do with education or skills involved - it's that working on saving your life is more valuable than working on a washing machine. It doesn't matter if I could walk into any corner store and find someone that can perform life-saving surgery, the act of saving my life is always more valuable to me than a washing machine. Therefore, an hour of labor saving my life is always worth vastly more to me than an hour assembling a washing machine, even if you needed an MIT doctorate to assemble that washing machine.

As for the loaf, kid's whole point is that price doesn't equal value. So while you're right that the price wouldn't change for either person, the value would. If the value changes, then there isn't an inherent value to that loaf of bread.
                              "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                              "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                              "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                              X