No announcement yet.

The Academy Awards Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expect those long time people who did not get one before, will get one. And I expect the minorities to do well (not because of PC, but because they deserved it). Though I think it was PC when Halle won the first time. She wasn't that good in Monster's Ball.

Martin Scorcese will get his first oscar for the Aviator.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
      If enough voters have seen the movie Don Cheadle should win best actor for HOTEL RWANDA. My guess is Foxx will win.

Best Actress should be Imelda Staunton for VERA DRAKE. Once again, a poorly distributed film.

Best Documentary - BORN INTO BROTHELS - too bad it had little distribution - it would be nice for Americans to see this one. ( I guess CONTROL ROOM was last years movie... otherwise a clear winner.)

... more votes later...
      what is this born into brothels about? besides brothels that is. I have never heard of it until today.

Comment

I think I got the pool thread up in record time this year...
        CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
        Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
        Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
        Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
          I'm surprised that foreign movies figure in categories other than "best foreign film". Both the Chorus and A Very Long Engagement are nominated once in another category.
          Well, why not? They are both in technical categories, so they are valid contenders.

I liked A Very Long Engagement- nice WW1 recreations- nice and bloody- but Jeunet uses a lot of the sam actors all the time.

Did not see the Chorus.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

IMO it's an outrage that no Dutch movie was nominated as best foreign language film. The movie we sent in ('Simon') was the best Dutch cinema has produced in decades (which, granted, is not saying much -- but it's a damn good film) and is rivalled only by another movie that was released this year but wasn't officially sent in ('De Dominee' a.k.a. 'The Preacher'). I haven't seen all the other nominated foreign films yet, but both beat the crap out of 'Les Choristes'.

'Der Untergang' should still win that category though, that was a truly amazing film and made a lasting impact on me and everyone else I know who saw it.

Of all the English language films I've seen this year (quite a few), only Harry Potter is remotely worth mentioning. I'm surprised it got so few nominations. Then again, I haven't seen any of the films that were nominated for Best Picture this year, and in fact I never even heard of 3 of them. I could say similar things for other major categories such as Best (Supporting) Actor/Actress and Directing. I guess they're all recent releases and have yet to make their way to Europe...
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
              Man, I'm dissapointed that "Eternal Sunshine" didn't get nominated for Best Picture . Though I'll be rooting for Kate to win Best Actress .
              What he said.

I should probably also see the Aviator, see if it's any good.
              All syllogisms have three parts.
              Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                Man, I'm dissapointed that "Eternal Sunshine" didn't get nominated for Best Picture . .
                Word.
                http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

Isn't it strange that the movies most often nominated for Academy Awards are those released at the very end of the year?
                  "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

They do that on purpose. There actually seems to be "movie season", and they tend to put Oscar contenders near the end of the year so they will be fresh in your mind.

Of course there are always a few that make it. Like Pirates of the Caribbean did last year
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

I don't think I've seen any of those films. I need to get out more.
                      Well not really but I need to see more films.
                      CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                        IMO it's an outrage that no Dutch movie was nominated as best foreign language film. *snip*
                        Neither did "De zaak alzheimer"
                        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

When's the last time someone got nominated for both best actor and best supporting actor? More importantly, how in the hell did Jamie Foxx get a best supporting actor nod for Collateral when he was obviously the lead actor in that movie? Should've given the nod to Cruise; he was good in that movie and was the actual supporting actor...

BTW, no Fahrenheit 9/11 =
                          Last edited by Drake Tungsten; January 25, 2005, 23:29.
                          KH FOR OWNER!
                          ASHER FOR CEO!!
                          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            I'm surprised that foreign movies figure in categories other than "best foreign film". Both the Chorus and A Very Long Engagement are nominated once in another category.
                            Why? Roberto Bernini won B. Actor (and the film was nominated for B. Picture) for Life is Beautiful. Juliette Binoche was nominated for Chocolat (and won for The English Patient), Gerard Depardieu was nominated for Cyrano de Bergerac back in 1990, Catherine Deneuve for Indochine in 1992, Massimo Troisi for Il Postino in 1995, Fernanda Montenegro for Central Station in 1998, Javier Bardem in Before Night Falls in 2000... and, since the UK and Australia aren't exactly within the US, those countries have secured their fair share of noms and wins as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
                              Isn't it strange that the movies most often nominated for Academy Awards are those released at the very end of the year?
                              That's done on purpose, as the studios release what they think is Oscar-worthy at the end of the year as to not have the films lose their "freshness."

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                                When's the last time someone got nominated for both best actor and best supporting actor? ...

Performers nominated twice, winning the Lead Oscar:
                                Al Pacino (Scent of a Woman/Glengarry Glen Ross)
                                Holly Hunter (The Piano/The Firm)

Performers nominated twice, winning the Supporting Oscar:
                                Fay Bainter (White Banners/Jezebel)
                                Teresa Wright (The Pride of the Yankees/Mrs. Miniver)
                                Barry Fitzgerald (Going My Way/Going My Way)
                                Jessica Lange (Frances/Tootsie)

Performers nominated twice, losing both:
                                Sigourney Weaver (Gorillas in the Mist/Working Girl)
                                Emma Thompson ((The Remains of the Day/In the Name of the Father)
                                Julianne Moore (Far from Heaven/The Hours)

Thanks to ArchiveGuy at the SDMB

Comment

Working...
                                X