No announcement yet.

The Academy Awards Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm ever so pissed that Paul Giamatti got overlooked AGAIN this year for Best Actor. You simply cannot be an average-looking male and expect to get Academy recognition (in the Acting categories, that is.)

And Jim Carrey also was not nominated. I think the Academy just HATES comedies (which is why Depp and Murray didn't win last year...although Sean Penn was brilliant, of course)

My Best Actor nominees would've been:
    JIM CARREY - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    JOHNNY DEPP - Finding Neverland
    LEONARDO DICAPRIO - The Aviator
    JAMIE FOXX - Ray
    PAUL GIAMATTI - Sideways

And it should've been Tom Cruise, not Jaime Foxx, to get the Collateral Best Supporting Actor nomination...
    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident

what is this born into brothels about? besides brothels that is. I have never heard of it until today.
      The movie was filmed over 2-3 years in the red light district of Calcutta and follows the lives of a half dozen children whose mothers (and in one case grand and great grand mothers) are/were prostitutes.

The Film maker gives the kids (aged about 10 - 14) cameras to record their lived from their point of view. No, there is no sex. One of the kids ends up getting to travel to Europe to show his pictures in an international show. Others fair less well.

It is a somewhat hopeful documentary about some of the poorest most desperate and vunerable people in the world's largest democracy.

... and it has a great score, combining eastern and western music.

Better then most scripted movies this year... and quite frankly better then 9/11.
      There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

I think the Foxx BS Actor nomination was bs. His part in the movie was a lead role.

di Caprio is finally convincingly playing an adult. This is his best work since GILBERT GRAPE.

FINDING NEVERLAND was a beautiful picture but will only receive the annual amazingly-talented-Brit-kid-actor award. (...and maybe set design.)

... more to come...
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
          I think the Foxx BS Actor nomination was bs. His part in the movie was a lead role.
          Unfortunately, that is all due to what the studio says. The studio put him up for Best Sup Actor and Cruise up for Best Actor. A shame, really.
          "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Lead role and Supporting role lables are decided by the studios. The actor that gets the highest name on the credits, is the lead. Everyone else is supporting.

Cruise was listed by the studio as the first name. Foxx was the second.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Damn, beaten to it.
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

I didn't think either performance was Oscar worthy, to be honest. Good movie, but not great.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Why it didn't receive a Cinematography nod, I'll never know.

Since the sweep by ROTK last year, I've lost most of the faith I've had in the Oscars in years prior. I was hoping to see that rectified this year, but...ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky

The movie was filmed over 2-3 years in the red light district of Calcutta and follows the lives of a half dozen children whose mothers (and in one case grand and great grand mothers) are/were prostitutes.

The Film maker gives the kids (aged about 10 - 14) cameras to record their lived from their point of view. No, there is no sex. One of the kids ends up getting to travel to Europe to show his pictures in an international show. Others fair less well.

It is a somewhat hopeful documentary about some of the poorest most desperate and vunerable people in the world's largest democracy.

... and it has a great score, combining eastern and western music.

Better then most scripted movies this year... and quite frankly better then 9/11.
                    it wasn't what I thought it would be. The scnene over there is terrible. I don't know why they don't do something about it. they are selling their children's futures away for money. the goverment won't do anything about it because they probably get a tourist trade because of it.

Comment

I predict that Shaun of the Dead will win Best Movie. Anyone care to wager?
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Re: The Academy Awards Discussion Thread

FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM

AS IT IS IN HEAVEN
                        THE CHORUS
                        DOWNFALL
                        THE SEA INSIDE
                        YESTERDAY
                        This is sweet justice for Kay Pollak, the director of As it is in heaven.

He was nominated for 8 awards at the Swedish "Guldbaggen", but didn't win a single one. He walked away from the party with great disappoinment. Then the next day he got an Oscar nomination!

I haven't seen the movie, but my mother liked it very much.
                        So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                        Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Best Actor: Hm, some glaring omissions there... Both Paul Giamatti and Javier Bardem should have been nominated for best actors. Anyway, Foxx will win, there's no doubt about this.

Best Actress... this is a tough one. I think the real contenders are Annette Bening and Hillary S****, but I wouldn't discard Imelda Staunton (and she probably deserves the award more than the others).

Best Sup Actor: Either Morgan Freeman or Clive Owen. I'd say Freeman: he's old, he's a fine actor and he has never won.

Best Sup Actress: I want Natalie Portman to win, and I think she is a strong contender, but if it is not her, then it will be Cate Blanchett.

Animated Feature Film: "The Incredibles", duh.

Best Foreign Film: "The Sea Inside", of course. Duh again.

Best Adapted Screenplay: "Sideways" will probably win. The screenplay category is usually the one where they give a nod to the actual best film that they could not award for other reasons.

Best Original Screenplay: "Eternal Sunshine", duh.

Best Director: Some would say that there is a tough battle between Clint and Martin Scorsese, but the 11 nominations to "The Aviator" seem to indicate that the Academy finally wants to honor Scorsese. Scorsese it is, then.

Best Picture: The Aviator. Even if it is not the best of the bunch.

Thus spoke Alex.
                          I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Plenty of fine directors never won- Kubrick never won an Oscar. Scorcese can join an August list of perpetual losers.

NO way no how Spotless sunshine was going to be nominated for best flick.
                            If you don't like reality, change it! me
                            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

I'm sad that Birth didn't get a mention for best score. It's clearly the best score that I've heard this year.
                              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                              Drake Tungsten
                              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                              Albert Speer

Comment

the good thing is they got Chris Rock hosting this year. I may actually watch this year. I want edgier jokes. I get tired of the same old jokes during these shows.

Comment

Working...
                                X