The return of anxiety and depression...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Time Gap

The problem with resurrecting old threads is that a lot happens in between. I belive PH had a happy ending to all his travails.
    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

that's also a problem when threadjacking

sorry for any threadjack

Comment

Originally posted by alva
        I've never heard of being overqualified for a job.

Happens quite frequently.
        They have to pay you more,
        The boss man is uncertain of his own position, etc...
        DEMOCRACY IN THE WORKPLACE, NOW!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
          "as a last resort"

Monk.......trust me....as long as you don't have the Swedish Chef accent then your english is better than many of the turks, serbs, and palestinians with fake canadian passports I've met here making $32 000 a year.

PH: Get yer ass to Asia. They would LOVE a technical translator who actually knows some science. Into petrochemicals?
          Eugh, when translating doesn't one have to know the local language as well?
          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

mmm....true...still there is teaching the staff and workers.

Maybe you could even get a job with the place that made the glow-in-the-dark green chimera chicken!!
            "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
            "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
            "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

i thought it might be from something i said
              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Edit: didn't notice the time gap.

My statement about capitalist pigs holds true though
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Re: Re: The return of anxiety and depression...

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Perhaps you need to change your job search strategy. Thereis always the alternative of teaching English in an East Asian country, maybe as a last resort. Maybe not, because it's a good idea to get ouside of the UK and see the world when you are still young.
                  My school will have a whole lot of positions opening up next semester.
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Hey I have dealt with both and have contemplated jumping off a bridge a few times. Im kinda bi-polar. I have failed at everything in life..Im a pathetic sad man who cant kind find happiness.

Every night I loosen my cheap tie over a Jack N Coke and smoke a pack of camels at a bar, alone, contemplating what once...was or what could of been.

I get depressed easily. My situation, my life, the things ive done to people who trusted me, the things people do to me. Its all overwhelming, no pill can help my emotions.

In the end I live under the Radar, waiting for some kind break from this oppressive condition. I rarely speak my mind to the opposite sex unless its scripted.

Depression and anxiety is real. I feel you.

hang in there buddy. I havent kept a job for more than 2 years either. But the only thing i was ever good at was the sales pitch.
                    Last edited by floppy_lobster; March 3, 2005, 02:21.
                    http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OLHMHMB&key=RRK

:-(

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                      Thanks people, a lot of food for thought especially regarding the teaching which has been the big one on my mind for a while and something I have wanted to do for a while.

Still looking at the jobs and worried about the relative pay of these positions - I am not keen on having to take a pay cut...
                      Actually that might not be a bad idea. I know one French-Korean who only spoke English and French who had a good sciency job with Samsung. Its definately worth a try.

You could get a pretty damn good job fixing up science stuff written in bad English if you can figure out where to look.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

How's it going Tub?
                        www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

F**k off beefcake

Good day to pick on this thread, because I have just been made permanent by GSK, including a £4k pay rise, full noncontributory pension, health and dental care plan, blah, blah, blah, and quite considerable bonuses too. Moving to a nice two bedroom house in a month which you couldn't even concieve affording on your paltry income. And I don't live in Leeds, which is also a bonus too

So things are pretty damn fine thanks
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Lazarus and the Gimp

I just got turned down for a job for pitching my presentation at "too intellectual" a level for the audience. The audience were the senior management. I'm not making this up.
                            It's a worrying sign, but true...they want soundbites and bullsh*t.
                            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

F**k off beefcake

Good day to pick on this thread, because I have just been made permanent by GSK, including a £4k pay rise, full noncontributory pension, health and dental care plan, blah, blah, blah, and quite considerable bonuses too. Moving to a nice two bedroom house in a month which you couldn't even concieve affording on your paltry income. And I don't live in Leeds, which is also a bonus too

great news

Comment

F**k off beefcake

Congratulations PH! It looks like you will be able to afford to go to the CG meet in Rotterdam after all.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X