Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The doctor is IN - the JohnT advice thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The doctor is IN - the JohnT advice thread.

Come here for the answers to your love, financial, and career lives. Unlike those other quacks, you pay me what you think my advice is worth - my customers are always satisfied!

What do you think of Intel's sock (INTC)? I think it's ready for an up swing. Should I sink some money into it or use on the house?
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      What do you think of Intel's sock (INTC)? I think it's ready for an up swing. Should I sink some money into it or use on the house?
      I'll handle this one:
      Wait a year, they're still recovering from mis-steps and it won't be until the dual core revolution of 2005 before they make a genuine upswing.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
        In my opinion, CA is on top of a housing bubble... I wouldn't put that money in my house unless desperately needed!

As for Intel, it's near its 52 week low @ $22.88. If you are going to buy it, you could pick worst times.

Comment

HOw much would would a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood!

Comment

Is it better to coordinate the kitchen using the cabinets or walls as a basis for color? Also, please explain to me the value of halogen lighting.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Tuttle
                Is it better to coordinate the kitchen using the cabinets or walls as a basis for color? Also, please explain to me the value of halogen lighting.
                Walls. No doubt about it. Cabinets should be coordinated with the base wall color as well.

Halogen - It's all marketing. Light is light. If you prefer their light, then get them. Test them in one room and see if you like the effect (but be sure you can easily replace them).

Comment

I friend of mine is trying to talk me into reenlisting in the Army Reserve. I like my job but I don't like the long deployments and I know a 8 month deployment to Afghanistan is in the offing about one year from now. On the other hand I don't like my friends going off without me.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                    Halogen - It's all marketing. Light is light. If you prefer their light, then get them. Test them in one room and see if you like the effect (but be sure you can easily replace them).
                    Halogens use less energy and provide more lumens, but diffuse less (unless modified by the cover).
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      I friend of mine is trying to talk me into reenlisting in the Army Reserve. I like my job but I don't like the long deployments and I know a 8 month deployment to Afghanistan is in the offing about one year from now. On the other hand I don't like my friends going off without me.
                      If you have served your time, you owe it to no one but yourself to go back in the army. Your question is this: is it worth it to you to delay the start of your post-Army life just so you can provide moral support to a couple of friends?

Comment

OK here's one for you..

Well, when I graduate, the most likely job for me would be project manager in some kind of software stuff. Of course I can shoot lower than that, but that's what some people get to go after this degree and that's what we're shooting for, being software engineers. Or some kind of programming strictly type of thing.

The problem is, as much as I enjoy programming and solving problems, I'm not exactly looking forward to this. I like the money in it, and in PM's job I like the responsibility and the opportunity to lead, I think I'd do a good job. However I lack the passion. I just don't have the passion for this. I guess it's OK, but I'm not passionate about this. So, with my degree and education of software engineer, getting the higher Uni degree (not the bachelor, step after that, you go for grad school for that stuff?), anyway yeah. with that, what other kinds of jobs do you see would suit me especially in the US, what kind of jobs in the IT world would be great for me if we put aside just strictly programming job and PM job. And no tech support is not the answer.
                        In da butt.
                        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Halogens use less energy and provide more lumens, but diffuse less (unless modified by the cover).
                          People able to spend more on halogen lighting are not going to go broke paying their electricity bill.

It boils down to the simple question of whether you prefer the lighting.

Comment

Why can't I score?
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                              OK here's one for you..

Well, when I graduate, the most likely job for me would be project manager in some kind of software stuff. Of course I can shoot lower than that, but that's what some people get to go after this degree and that's what we're shooting for, being software engineers. Or some kind of programming strictly type of thing.

The problem is, as much as I enjoy programming and solving problems, I'm not exactly looking forward to this. I like the money in it, and in PM's job I like the responsibility and the opportunity to lead, I think I'd do a good job. However I lack the passion. I just don't have the passion for this. I guess it's OK, but I'm not passionate about this. So, with my degree and education of software engineer, getting the higher Uni degree (not the bachelor, step after that, you go for grad school for that stuff?), anyway yeah. with that, what other kinds of jobs do you see would suit me especially in the US, what kind of jobs in the IT world would be great for me if we put aside just strictly programming job and PM job. And no tech support is not the answer.
                              Ask Rah. Or Asher. They would know better.

Best I could do is to help you realize that, in time, most every industry will need computer/database/programming services, so you might be able to dedicate yourself to doing those IT services geared towards a specific field... like library sciences, or motion picture production.

I mean, at this point in your career, you can do almost anything. It really is a case of asking yourself "where do I want to go from here"?

Comment

Working...
                              X