A note on planet defense, and small players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A note on planet defense, and small players

Hello all. Just wanted to give a few tips on playing BNT, how to protect your planets, etc. I was playing earlier and fell on Madimahel's planets. I thought "Small player, planets probably aren't worth taking". I scanned the first planet... 100,000 fighters on defense, and 10 BILLION credits on the planet.

10B credits is a LOT of money, even for me, with a score of 500,000+. It's 15% of my available cash. There was no way I'd pass this opportunity up. Any player with a level of 15 could have taken this planet too.

Now, when you join a new BNT game and you aren't sure of the other players' levels, the best thing to do is to ask around. Join an alliance with players near the top, and ask them what their "fighting" level is (computer/beams/shield/armor). This way you can plan accordingly. For example, as of writing this, my computer is lvl 23. The equation to know how many fighters I can carry with this is 1.5 ^ lvl * 1000. That means I can carry 1.1M fighters. So a planet with good beams and 3M fighters would destroy my ship. Of course, if the planet is worth it enough, I could upgrade a level, maybe two if it's *really* worth it, like 100B credits on the planet. Still, that means that a planet with 6M fighters would still be 100% safe from me.

So, the best thing to do, when you start out, is to join an alliance, preferably one with at least one top 5 player. Now, when you get enough money (like these 10B), and you need to stash them somewhere, ASK MORE POWERFUL PLAYERS TO HELP YOU. You can make one of your planet corporate, and other alliance members can drop fighters on it. So getting it up to 6M fighters would cost everybody only around 20 turns each. And you'd be safe from the big, bad, evil, bent on warfare top player.

One last note on planet protection... Earlier this game I was able to destroy Lee Taxx0r's ship, and take his banking planet (wich has 66B credits on it), even if it had 11M fighters. The trick is that I was willing to lose my ship to take it. I attacked once, he destroyed my ship, I rebuilt up to lvl 20 beams, attacked again, etc. After around 40 attacks I was able to take the planet. The morale of the story is: never make a single planet TOO attractive. At the time, my ship was worth only ~40B, and it cost me 30B to upgrade and do my attack runs. That totals for 70B, and there was 66B on the planet! Not *quite* breaking even, but losing only 4B, I got rid of my worst ennemy. That's a pretty sweet deal. These kamikaze attacks are the best defense against players who are bigger than you. Typically, your ship isn't worth a lot, so you can just sacrifice it if the potential reward is worth it.

That's mostly it... BNT doesn't have that much strategy involved, but it still has its quirks. Just learn them and you'll do well.

So a planet with good beams and 3M fighters would destroy my ship.

/me checks planet defenses

Of course, if the planet is worth it enough, I could upgrade a level, maybe two if it's *really* worth it, like 100B credits on the planet. Still, that means that a planet with 6M fighters would still be 100% safe from me.

/me checks credits-keeping planets defenses
    /me realizes he doesn't even have 100B credits to put anywhere
    <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
    Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

So the 50m fighters i had once on another server was overkill?
      Or is it possible to take a 10m fighter-planet with an alliance?
      <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
      Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

I was actually planning on spreading my money out but I guess I waited too long... oh well...

I actually was doing some calculations and I had thought you only spent like 7 billion credits to do that., I thought you were upgrading to level 19 each time and I checked, it took 28 times.... maybe I missed something in my calculations or something.

Comment

40 attacks
          what EXACTLY do you mean by 40 attacks?
          Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
          Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
          giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

I suppose coming into the game late didn't help then

Comment

Yea, seriously...

Comment

Originally posted by MarkG
                40 attacks
                what EXACTLY do you mean by 40 attacks?
                He means 40 cycles of attack-die-upgrade-attack again (repeat cycle). I've never tried it (Poly's my first BNT game, but I read about it on the BNT forums), but I've read that you can do it pretty quickly by having several windows open and then refreshing them in order. It only works when you're a newbie, but it's supposed to be a way of taking very powerful planets from more powerful players early in the game, giving you a nice head start/catchup.

-- adaMada
                Civ 3 Democracy Game:
                PTW Game: Proud member of the Roleplay Team, and Ambassador to Glory of War
                Intersite PTW Game: Member of Apolyton

Comment

He means 40 cycles of attack-die-upgrade-attack again
                  that's what i thought too but i wasnt sure if he had the money to do it

you'd need several parts at over 20 level and each cost a few billions....

Comment

You don't need several parts at 20 or more. Just beams will do fine. You start by opening a warp path from sector 0 to the destination sector, so that you don't have to buy engines. Then all you need to buy are beams, power (but it's almost free, since it goes up fast) and an escape pod. You jump to the sector, attack, then repeat (starting again in 0, you just upgrade and keep going).

It's pretty cost effective too, you can take a planet with 12M fighters with only a few turns and a few billions. That's why the best defense against this is simply not making your planets too attractive. If you don't keep a stash of 100B credits on a planet, it won't be worth taking.

Comment

You start by opening a warp path from sector 0 to the destination sector
                      eeer you can mess with federation sectors? isnt that kind of "unreal"?

shouldnt you have fighters and shields?

Comment

Fighters are expensive. And if you are going to die anyway, why bother with shields.
                        Beams fire first, thats the way to go
                        Don't you need energy to power your beams though?
                        "In some of its more lunatic aspects, political correctness is merely ridiculous. But in the thinking behind it, there is something more sinister which is shown by the fact that already there are certain areas and topics where freedom of speech, in the sense of the right to open and frank discussion, is being gradually but significantly eroded." -- Judge Neil Denison

Comment

Working...
                        X