Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants a restart? If so, what options? And where to host?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Who wants a restart? If so, what options? And where to host?

    OK, let me start this by saying that as of now I am a member in good standing with Apolyton Co.; I bring to Apolyton a Planet
    with T-Warp capability, as well as two other planets that are
    progressing nicely, 30million colonists, about a million credits,
    and 12k fighters.

    I also hereby propose that, rather than continue to drag this
    game out, we ask to re-bang the universe, either at Firaxis (the
    folks who started this, and were great at keeping it going) or
    at some other location (either a player from this board or the Stardock were the 2 ideas I saw mentioned).

    Given the number of players that I see on there now, I would
    assume that we have had around 40-50 unique, serious
    players, as well as a number of dupes and a number of folks
    that just weren't that interested.

    Given that number of players for a rebang, here is what I think
    of for starting options:

    Number of sectors: 1000-2000
    Max Traders per Corp: 3
    Photons: ?No idea on this one?
    Port regen: 20%
    Turns per day: 300-500
    Helpers allowed: ??? Opinions? I am tempted to say yes.

    Also, a couple of restrictions, either honor-bound or server-
    bound, such as: 1) No dupes. This is the biggest problem
    that I see us having; 2) Neither myself nor Marko Polo nor
    (anyone else that considers themselves quite experienced)
    can corp (my idea); 3) some form of guarantee on corps, so
    that players that don't know each other can corp and become
    major players in the game.

    My goal (what I would envision) is a couple of strong players
    fending for themselves, as well as groups of 2-3 "newbies"
    all fighting it out for the title.

    I've got to admit that, after the port regen and the turns
    increased on Firaxis, the game is pretty nice as is.

    Ideas? Love it? Hate it? Let the discussion begin!!!

  • #2
    I am definitely for a rebang, after having a talk with Marko and you, I realized that there was no hope in anyone beating you guys in this game.

    We need to setup a proper voting option for each aspect, but I'll try to be as thorough as I can.

    I too think there are probably 30-40 players.

    Number of Sectors: 5000-8000 (anything in between is also fine)
    Max traders per Corp: Not more than 3
    Photons: YES!
    Port Regen: 18-24%
    Turns per day: 600 in 5000 sectors and 800 in 8000 sectors.
    Time Limit: None, or 4 hours per player.. (pleeeeease? )
    Helpers: Sure, whatever. There is no way to stop it or check anyway.
    Max Planets: Approx. 2000 (for 8000 sectors)
    Max Ports: Approx. 1500 (for 8000 sectors)
    Ferrengi: Not so aggressive, please let them board me once in a while!
    Stardock: Visible
    Max Players: less than 100
    Terra Colonist Regen rate: 3-4 mil a day.


    Restrictions:
    1) Apolyton rules apply.
    2) Only People with Apolyton nicks can join. (Will DEFINITELY cut down on Dupes). Email + IP monitoring must also take place. Each player must post in a thread that they want to play. Else they cannot.
    3) I disagree with Burbel. Let the experienced players also team up. I dont want you guys getting an ego and giving everyone else a head start! .. No restrictions to teaming up. Its the players decision. Just because you are good at playing doesn't mean you shouldn't join a corp!
    4) I want a large Universe because it will give more place to hide, more trade ports and more to explore. This will mean a long difficult and complex game. These type of games normally end in deadlock with a couple of really powerful corps that dominate all the other lesser corps. It will easily last a year...


    There should be a 1 week registration period, where people can join up. But 15 days after the game gets going, no more players will be allowed. What do you guys think?

    As far as hosting it, I'm fine with firaxis.com hosting it. Dan has been extremely nice and helpful and I really appreciate all that he has done for no reward. But this new game will mean even more work for him.. I dont want to burden him, if he doesn't mind hosting it still, it would be great, but I understand if he doesn't want to take up the added hassle.

    We could still host it on stardock, or each player shelling out some money. (with 30 players, $2 each will be $60!!) to get us a server ourselves.. then we can host multiple games simultaneously with different settings.. But thats up to you guys.


    (has anyone actually asked thestardock.com if they would host our game for us.. or is this just speculation? Are we sure its for free?)
    Last edited by King Thor; May 26, 2001, 00:17.
    King Thor

    Comment


    • #3
      I see your point for a large universe, but, assuming
      5000 sectors and 50 players, that's 100 sectors
      per player. With a 4 turn per warp ship, I could take
      400 turns and not even leave my own "space", let
      alone encounter another trader.

      I also agree with not having the limit on anyone
      corping with anyone else; I am just trying to think of
      ways to get everyone to keep the game competitive.

      And, no, I have never contacted anyone at the StarDock;
      I was just thinking out loud on that one.

      Comment


      • #4
        5000 sectors is way too big. I think a smaller one would do. Maybe we first have a pre-registration period to see how many players we have before deciding on the size.

        I also agree that we need some kind of binding rule for a corp. Once a players joins a corp that person is in for the duration of the game.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

        Comment


        • #5
          After Burbel blew up my Havoc , I took a look at the TW community online. What I found was many sysops run games with early limits: no ships with better than 1:1 attack available for a certain number of days, or limits on the numbers of fighters you can buy, or some games no attacks whatsoever in the first week. Most also have set sign up periods(7-14 days). After this initial period anything goes.
          "The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved - loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves."--Victor Hugo

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, I think that the no agression part in the beginning is
            nice; also, I think that 5k sectors is a bit much for the #
            of players that we'll probably have. As for the must stay
            in a corp till the end, I would rather see something like if
            you leave a corp all corp assets go to the remaining
            members or something like that; if someone wants to move
            on, then they should be able to; they just shouldn't be
            able to backstab.

            Comment


            • #7
              There's no other way to prevent a backstab otherwise, esp. with the very popular "split -corp" type play. A player can join up with a corp, leak the info to his buddies, have them decimate this corp and steal it's stuff, then leave.

              If players can't leave, there's no such worries.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

              Comment


              • #8
                Hi all!

                I too concur with a rebang. As far as the rules go - I will side with the majority

                Oh, and UR and Shadow, I will be leaving Fayetteville, NC for a road trip to San Francisco, CA. I will most likely leave tomorrow (Sunday) and I will not return until 14 June. Then on 17 June, I have to travel up to Ohio to visit my parents. I won't return from there until 30 June. THEN I have to pack-up my household furnishings for my move to San Francisco...so I don't know when I will be able to actively get back into the game I will perform my moves today (if the game is up ) and then I will email you both my password for access to my Battleship.

                - Wittlich (aka Lord Wittlich)
                ____________________________
                "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu
                ____________________________

                Comment


                • #9
                  burbel:

                  yes, 5000 sectors among 50 players is about 100 sectors to a player.. but you are calculating wrong.

                  you would have 600-800 turns, and as anyone knows, you should always explore with a fast ship and use Holo Scanners when there are multiple sectors to be explored.

                  Therefore, the number of sectors you can cover is more like, 300 in a day.. ie, the playing area of 3 players each day. A nice big universe will ensure lots of hiding areas and long game.

                  I think no corp. backstabbing is a bad idea, part of the game is to corp up with people you trust, and to identify those people.

                  For instance, in the last game, Shadow Corp, thought I was a snitch, had there been no backstabbing, and they would have completely trust me, I wouldn't have gotten kicked out and formed my own corp. So you see, this uncertainty is part of the game. We really shouldn't remove it.

                  Swissy: You wiped out my base, blew up my cargo and planet BEFORE burbel blew your havoc! Stop Complaining!


                  I see most of you think 5000 sectors is a lot. What size would you guys rather have it at? 3000?

                  I still say we go for 5000 fellas. It'll be fun, exploring the immensity of space, it will lead to a long and complex game, with lots of hiding places, you wont need a 'no aggression pact' everyone will just be able to hide so easily.
                  King Thor

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, I think that the idea of *500* sectors is a good one.
                    Lots of interaction, and the ability to find every other trader
                    in a single day!

                    I guess 3000 sectors would be OK, but I would still like to
                    see less sectors total.

                    Comment


                    • #11


                      .. Seriously Burbel.. I know why you want a small universe.. so that you can hunt others down easy.. that is exactly why I want a BIG universe.. so its hard to hunt people down, it will take strategy, time and planning to find any base. The Grimmy trader will become more useful, you'll start paying attention to more details so that you can home in on your opponents base.. instead of just flying around until you hit something.. (which works now, but wont work in a large universe).
                      King Thor

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        500 sectors? that sounds awful. I'm for 5000 sectors at least. The points thor makes about strategy not withstanding, having port pairs that max out at 50% and 800 is not my idea of a fun game. We need a much larger universe to accomodate the number of players in this game, and 5000 sectors sounds about right.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I like having NO photons. If they were in the game you wouldn't see any evil players, unless the steal ratios were cranked way down. As it is I am barely making more than I did when I was good. With photons there is no reason why everybody wouldn't want their commission and an ISS.
                          Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Garth Vader
                            I like having NO photons. If they were in the game you wouldn't see any evil players, unless the steal ratios were cranked way down. As it is I am barely making more than I did when I was good. With photons there is no reason why everybody wouldn't want their commission and an ISS.
                            Thats another reason why you need a large universe! It will be significantly harder to find your cloaked ship. If we shrink the size of the universe we will have to crank down other features of the game. To experience the game at its full potential we need a large universe.
                            King Thor

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well I would like to see 5000 sectors as well.
                              Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X