Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the number of available turns be upped?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Could the number of available turns be upped?

    As someone with *way* too much time on their hands , could the number of turns per day on this server be upped? I remember playing this game on various BBS's around town, and the reason that I was on so many different ones was the low number of maximum turns?

    Anyone agree? Disagree?

    -- Burbel

  • #2
    I agree. 250 is too low IMHO.

    Comment


    • #3
      Well, just to comment, I have played on 100 turns a day (just silly), 250 and 300 (to small, IMHO), 500 (not bad, but could be better) and 1,000 turns per day. I think that 1,000 turns per day is too extreme, but I would think that something near 750 would be nice, and would give us more time to plan TradeWars rather than discuss it on these forums! 8P

      Comment


      • #4
        I agree that the number of turns should be upped, but just a 'lil bit. 500 is more than enough.

        -Midnight

        Comment


        • #5
          Another point for increasing the turns-per-day: it's very hard to explore the universe because you always need to return to fed space for safety. The reaching out - coming back takes a tremendous lot away from that puny 250 turns..

          Comment


          • #6
            I disagree. If people want more turns, there should be a game B, with different settings. Giving too many turns makes TOO MUCH exploration (no place to hide) or unbalanced gameplay.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

            Comment


            • #7
              It goes both ways. More turns means other players have more time to find you, but it also means you have more time to build up your defenses.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

              Comment


              • #8
                You think resources are scarce now try adding more turns.
                Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Resources aren't scarce, we just don't have time to go explore and do the trading at the same time. I was looking at some of the online webpages and people play up to 1000 turns a day in a universe with 5000 sectors.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I've upped the daily number of turns to 400, this should allow more exploration. To keep some of the more "vigorous" players from running away with the game, however, I'm also working on adding a mysterious new alien race to the game that will be coming after you... muhahahahaha!

                    Dan
                    Firaxis Games, Inc.
                    Dan Magaha
                    Firaxis Games, Inc.
                    --------------------------

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hey, thanks Dan. Thought you had given up on us there for a second. By the way, this is a nice favor you have done for us...much appreciated.
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

                      "Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        thanks Dan!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          quote:

                          Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS on 04-27-2001 12:04 AM
                          To keep some of the more "vigorous" players from running away with the game, however, I'm also working on adding a mysterious new alien race to the game that will be coming after you... muhahahahaha!


                          Why do I feel targeted?

                          Let's see. I'm evil. I have the feds after me. The ferrengi. The good alien traders. The evil alien traders. All the good players (which means pretty much everybody). Maybe about half the evil players, which I'm sure wouldn't mind getting whatever bounty is going to be posted on my head. And probably everyone's grandmothers too. And now you're throwing another alien race? Gee, thanks!

                          At the very least, this is going to be interresting!

                          -Hutak

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            5000 sectors is pretty standard, at least that is what all my other games have been (using GOLD). This one seems cramped.. nowhere to hide!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              quote:

                              Originally posted by Hutak on 04-27-2001 02:12 AM
                              Why do I feel targeted?

                              Let's see. I'm evil. I have the feds after me. The ferrengi. The good alien traders. The evil alien traders. All the good players (which means pretty much everybody). Maybe about half the evil players, which I'm sure wouldn't mind getting whatever bounty is going to be posted on my head. And probably everyone's grandmothers too. And now you're throwing another alien race? Gee, thanks!

                              At the very least, this is going to be interresting!

                              -Hutak



                              Well, there *IS* always a running game of King of the Hill going on, that's part of the challenge of being the "big dog"... =)

                              But in all seriousness I wanted to introduce some aliens that would actually fight amongst themselves as much as the human players. Since I restarted them, the Cylons haven't even spawned one alien yet, so don't worry too much. It was funny, though, to watch them kick Ferrengi ass =)

                              Dan

                              Dan Magaha
                              Firaxis Games, Inc.
                              --------------------------

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X