No announcement yet.

Civ2 PBEM Diplomacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well... That info you are asking me for is stored on the saved files. I believe that a program that read the auto-save each turn and send this info over Internet to display on other computer will be not (very) dificult.

On the other hand, the server is much more dificult, because I don't know how to hack Civ2 in order to allow that
    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Re: The diplomacy mechanism

Originally posted by yaroslav
      How a player can know that a offer is to be trusted? And how a player (or a pair of players) can not cheat doing offers in others' name?

I think that these problem can be solve with signature (password).
      I think you can omit any anti-cheating mechanism. Cheating in PBEM is and always will be extremely easy (for example game reloading, editing rules.txt, removing opponent's "password" etc.). You must trust.
      Civ2 "Great Library Index": direct download, Apolyton attachment

Comment

Why make easier than it has to be Slowthinker?
        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Henrik,

It is so easy that you cannot make it easier. The right door of your car is missing: will you install a lock into the left door?

We have had a debate on CivFanatics:PBEM about this, but I can't post a link, because I can't get to the site last two days

Comment

Perhaps it is easy to cheat, you said : "changing the rules.txt, reloading, ..., but, perhaps it is easy to detect it, when something strange happens that is becouse there is someone cheating, isn't he?
            «… Santander, al marchar te diré, guarda mi corazón, que por él volveré ». // Awarded with the Silver Fleece Medal SEP/OCT 2003 by "The Spanish Civilization Site" Spanish Heroes: "Blas de Lezo Bio" "Luis Vicente de Velasco Bio" "Andrés de Urdaneta Bio" "Don Juan de Austria Bio"

Comment

Kramsib,
              Even after a detailed study of the game after its end you may have only a suspicion that the opponent won too much of battles (and he reloaded after bad results or changed rules.txt before the battle) or that he got the most valuable things from the huts (reloading) or that he revealed the map.
              But you can't prove that.

And if the player would cheat reasonably and limitedly then you would have no suspicion.

But I can't imagine why a player would cheat ? He would loose all the entertainment from the game!
              Last edited by SlowThinker; September 14, 2002, 09:37.

Comment

But I can't imagine why a player would cheat ? He would loose all the entertainment from the game!
                Right
                Actualidad y otros desperdicios

Comment

The threads about cheating I mentioned are here:

BLACKLIST of PBEM Dropouts and PBEM FAQ. Both threads are locked now, they were locked after a murder committed due to that extremely stormy debate.

Comment

Thank you for your advice, SlowThinker. Also Scenario Leage Magazine covers the PBEM cheating
                    Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Thank you for the tip, just answered : Scenario League Magazine Issue #1 out now!

Comment

Working...
                      X