Spain's National Day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spain's National Day!

Hey, I thought it just wasn't right that we didn't open a little thread to celebrate la Pilarica!

So, do we start a discussion about Spain's lack of (external) patriotism?
    "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
    - Spiro T. Agnew

Is Spains national day today?
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

He, he, I like to call it The Day of the Hispanic Race better Today is not a holiday in the States. I always found that a bit weird.

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
        Is Spains national day today?
        As a matter of a fact, we call it "Día de la Hispanidad", which is like saying "Hispanic Holiday", I guess. We conmemorate the day Christopher Columbus discovered América, and it's also the Virgen del Pilar holiday.

BTW, Jesús, isn't Columbus Day a holiday in the States then?
        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Originally posted by Fiera
          isn't Columbus Day a holiday in the States then?
          It was this monday I think...
          No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

No. I think it depends on the state, county or town. In SoCal it wasn't.

Comment

Close this duplicate thread please!

In any case, what the hell is cause of celebration about it?

Comment

That you speak Spanish today 'cause Columbus opened the route to America 500 years ago?
                - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Pos como decian en epoca de Franco, la celebracion de la mezcla de sangres que dio origen a nuestra gloriosa raza hispanica... yo siempre he visto todo esto como una fascistada del copon, pero en fin...

Comment

Jesús, estás mezclando idiomas!

But still, can only fascist governments celebrate national holidays?
                    - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Re: Spain's National Day!

So, do we start a discussion about Spain's lack of (external) patriotism?
                      It can be a interesting one. What do you think about Spain's patriotism?
                      Trying to rehabilitateh and contribuing again to the civ-community

Comment

Re: Re: Spain's National Day!

Originally posted by yaroslav

It can be a interesting one. What do you think about Spain's patriotism?
                        There's a lot of ptriotism, especially among the Basques and the Catalans.
                        - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Spain's National Day!

There's a lot of ptriotism, especially among the Basques and the Catalans.
                          I dislike nationalism, but look at France... She is more centralized; there are much more patriotism that in our country, but there are nationalism, too. The man-of-the-street (I guess that this isn't the correct way to say that in English) have less patriotism that other countries...

On the other hand, the Spaniards many times feel that they are 'special' or 'diferent'....

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Spain's National Day!

Originally posted by yaroslav

On the other hand, the Spaniards many times feel that they are 'special' or 'diferent'....
                            Yes, we Spaniards even think that are special among other Spanish people, don't we?

Jokes apart, my stance about this is that too patriotism is possibly a bad thing, but the lack of patriotism that many people here have is also a strange thing, and one that makes me wonder.

Would some people rather be French, Italian or English than Spanish? I wouldn't.
                            - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

I subscribe your last post, but, in the same way that I believe that is not better to be English that Spanish, I also believe that is not better to be Spanish that Engislh.

But, don't missunderstand me, I love Spain and his culture... And I love many other cultures, too

Comment

Working...
                              X