Hispania's Contribution to the Roman Empire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hispania's Contribution to the Roman Empire

Rather than me jumping into other posts and 'hijacking' them, I was thinking about how much the land of Hispanis has contributed to the Roman Empire and been in the position to change the course of history.
    In particular I was thinking of the Roman Emperor Theodosius the Great
    Of course, he was one of many great Emperors who could call Hispania their home.
    Lets discuss the others, now who were they....?

------------------
    MRP
    MRP

He, he .
    [Hispanic Pride Remark]
    Rome reached its zenith under Trajan and Hadrian, two Spanish emperors. Coincidence? I think not
    [/Hispanic Pride Remark]

I think there were no other Spanish emperors but I do not know it for sure.

[This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited March 08, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jay Bee on 03-08-2001 01:45 PM
      I think there were no other Spanish emperors but I do not know it for sure.

Marcus Aurelius came form a Spanish family too, but I think he was born in Rome.

Anyways, don't forget about the Spanish writers: Lucan, Quintilian, Marcial, and above all, Lucius Anneus Seneca, best Roman philosopher.
      "An intellectual is a man who doesn't know how to park a bike"
      - Spiro T. Agnew

Comment

And Maximus!

oh, no, he wasn't real...

edit: okok, this joke is a bit copied from what Fiera has under his name
        [This message has been edited by Allard HS (edited March 08, 2001).]

Comment

Who was Marcus Aurelius-the Emperor feutured in the Blockbuster 'Gladiator'? Click on the image of him to find out http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02109a.htm
          ------------------
          MRP

EDITED BY JAY BEE
          The pic was too big and messed up the page margins. Masis, please try not to post such larger images. In addition to messing up the pages, they take ages to download

[This message has been edited by Jay Bee (edited March 09, 2001).]
          MRP

Comment

just two spanish emperors... but the greatest

Spain and Egypt were the granary of Rome, and all the artist, writers...
            Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
            Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
            miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Masis on 03-08-2001 09:30 PM
              Who was Marcus Aurelius-the Emperor feutured in the Blockbuster 'Gladiator'? Click on the image of him to find out "http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/02109a.htm

link doesnt work when clicked on (could have something to do whit jay bee editing it...)
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Link should work now. The problem was the " before the actual address

Comment

So, who was Marcu Aurelius, the Emperor feutured in the BlockBuster film-Gladiator? Click on the image to find out

Is this picture ok Jay Bee?
                  Traianus and Hadrianus were not the only Great Roman Emperors who hailed from Hispania-if you looked at the first post-you will learn of the last Roman Emperor to rule over the Western and Eastern sections of Romania (land of the Romans).

------------------
                  MRP
                  MRP

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Masis on 03-09-2001 06:46 PMIs this picture ok Jay Bee?

It is sire!

quote:

Traianus and Hadrianus were not the only Great Roman Emperors who hailed from Hispania-if you looked at the first post-you will learn of the last Roman Emperor to rule over the Western and Eastern sections of Romania (land of the Romans).

Absolutely, you had already mentioned Theodosius and asked for other Spanish emperors, so I mentioned the two who were left. Sorry for not having been a bit clearer.

Comment

So who is this Trajan?
                      Apart from his attempted reconquest of Germania Magna, counter attacks against the Dacians and their later conquest, his excellent strategic march down both the Euphrates and Tigris rivers in Mesopotamia, that led to the capture of Ctesiphon-capital of the Parthians and then reaching the Persian gulf.
                      Impressive Indeed
                      Lets find out more...

"This man commands Qwack legions, He Wanks as high as any in Wome" Pontios Pilate telling the crowds of the merits of his collegue-Monty Python and the Life of Brain

------------------
                      MRP
                      MRP

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Masis on 03-09-2001 08:56 PM
                        He Wanks as high as any in Wome

LMAO!!!

Comment

Please could you explain why do you see Peninsula history only as Spain history.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by dizepam on 03-10-2001 09:54 PM
                            Please could you explain why do you see Peninsula history only as Spain history.

Please don't see imperialistic or expansionist views in it. "Hispania", as you know, referred to the whole Peninsula, so it's quite normal to talk about Spain History. It's the same with Spanish America: the history of that continent during the spanish rule is spanish history.

When we talk about spanish history we're talking about the history of the actual Spain, the colonies and the whole peninsula before portuguese independency (by the way, do you know the year when Portugal became independent by a "historical accident" from the kingdom of León?).
                            "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
                            "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
                            The Spanish Civilization Site
                            "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Dizepam-Hispania is the official name given to the whole penninsula by the wise Romans, I advise you do a little cyber-reading on the subject on the net to find out more.
                              Personally for me I try not to use the term 'Iberian' because to me Iberia is the old name of the ex-soviet state of Georgia.
                              You can read a little of the Royal family of Iberia Here

Now back to sunny Hispania...

A lot of the Emperors seem to have come from a town called Italica-what is this town exactly? Click on the column to find out

------------------
                              MRP
                              MRP

Comment

Working...
                              X