HRE NES II: Der Aufstieg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke Eberhard III of Franconia to Duke Boniface of Spoleto

I think I can understand the position you are in, and I am sympathetic. On behalf of my King and my fellow dukes I offer to turn over Conte Lamissio d’Valdagno and the knights and sergeants we have in captivity so that you may release them to their families in your name. In exchange, you would lift the siege and we could all return to our homes in peace. This would maintain honor and more importantly piety.
    Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

• Duke Boniface of Spoleto to Duke Eberhard III of Franconia
      I accept your proposal. I will see to it that the siege is lifted immediately, and will retire upon the delivery of the prisoners.
      Lime roots and treachery!
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Duke Eberhard III of Franconia to Duke Boniface of Spoleto

This gladdens me greatly. I do not know much of you, but from what I can tell you are an honorable man. Should you ever be in Germany you shall certainly find hospitality in my home.
        Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

• I'm working on the stat block presently. In the meantime...

A Papal Bull has been issued for all to read and hear.

IOANNES X, Episcopus Romanus, Servus Servorum Dei
          Anno Domini CMXXIV
          For attempting and conspiring to attempt physical violence against the person of the Pope, Vicar of Christ on Earth; Guido, gens Bonifacii, dux Tusciana is hereby excommunicated. Let no man of God bestow unto him the Sacraments of Jesus Christ, or he himself shall suffer excommunication. Let no righteous Christian exchange letters with the excommunicated, nor converse with, nor pray or break bread with, nor conduct business of any kind with; nor let any Christian give to the excommunicated the marks of honor or respect due to station, rank, or office.

(Latin hint: He's talking about Guy of Tuscany)
          Last edited by Cyclotron; August 10, 2007, 18:28.
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Duke Boniface of Spoleto

It gladdens me that we have reached an amicable agreement regarding the siege of Venice. I will be leaving Venice immediately for Bavaria, but I would like to dine with you as I pass out from Venice, in order to further our good relations. I thank you heartily for agreeing to the Duke of Franconia's sensible proposal.

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Doge Orso II Participazio of Venice

My friend, I thank you with all my heart for the kindness you have shown me in sheltering me throughout this war. Your willingness to risk your own city in order to protect me will not go unforgotten. I will have my advisers draw up a list of the trades we had been involved in before this mess began so that we might resume the mutually profitable trades. I will, of course, offer you at least a portion of the Tridentine silver in trade as well, as soon as I ascertain precisely how much output to expect from it.
            "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
            phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
            three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• Duke Boniface of Spoleto to the Dukes of Franconia and Bavaria

I, too, am grateful that we have resolved this issue without taking the field. I would look forward to meeting with both of you under other circumstances, but I think it unseemly to dine with those who have my liege, the lawful Emperor, in irons this very moment. Please understand that I mean no disrespect by my refusal.

Doge Orso II Participazio to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria

I am glad to have been of assistance to you at this most difficult time for us both. We are certainly ready to resume trading relations, now that the chief obstacle between us has been removed. My only regret is that your people have come to an accord with the vile Magyars; with Germany closed to them, more and more pour through Friuli to reach the rest of Europe. This will not make trade between us easy unless the new King can strengthen Friuli sufficiently to drive them back.

The Most Serene Republic of Venice to Duke Eberhard III of Franconia

In recognition of his victory against the forces of the Imperial despot Berengar of Friuli,
              In recognition of his successful negotiation for the freedom of Venice from the Spoletans,
              In appreciation for his service to the Most Serene Republic,
              Be it known that the Major Council of the Most Serene Republic of Venice awards Eberhardus Tertius, Dux Franconia, the honorary title of Patrician of Venice.

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Duke Boniface of Spoleto

I understand your hesitation. I will leave Venice immediately upon the arrival of the hostages.
                "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
                phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
                three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• Hi NES fans,

Work on the stat block is still coming along - I'll be leaving for a week of backpacking on Saturday, so I hope to get everything squared away by then so you can submit orders in a leisurely fashion while I'm gone.

I have done a huge revamp of the map, and I'd like your opinion on it:

It features names, tons of new cities, more internal borders, fewer color gradations, and so on. Tell me what you think.

Duke Boniface of Spoleto to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria

Forgive me, but I do not believe you fully understand my hesitation. You have colluded with a foreigner - perhaps understandable, as you yourselves are foreigners - to depose the Emperor of Christendom, lawfully crowned by the Pope himself. This, in itself, should be enough for your excommunication; it is only though force of arms and the fortunate coincidence that the Margrave of Tuscany is under the thumb of the Whore of Rome that you are not. Were it in my power, I would have King Rudolph blinded and send your marauders back across the Alps. You Germans have ravaged Friuli and plundered Verona, to say nothing of the hideous destruction of Asiago. Were this not enough, you are also in collusion with the Magyars, Satan's very spawn, and you have also dethroned and imprisoned the only man who was able to keep them somewhat in check. Already the Magyars have made their presence known as far as Anjou.

As far as I am concerned, you are no better than the Magyars, and in some ways much worse - not even the Magyars were able to put the Emperor in disgrace like you have. Your King says that Berengar allied with the Magyars; even if this is true, you, the Duke of Bavaria, were once allied with them as well, and all of Germany is now as good as allied with them - for you do nothing to defend the rest of Christendom from them. What did the Emperor do that you have not?

I cooperate with you presently, but only because I have no choice; I cannot defeat all the armies of Burgundy and Germany myself. I will not waste soldiers fighting you, soldiers that I will need against the Magyars and Saracens, foes that you are blissfully safe from. There is no point to warring with you now that we have come to an agreement.

Yet do not presume for a moment that we are friends. I treat you with respect as is my nature; I am not altogether convinced that you are deserving of it. If one day I should capture you on the battlefield, I would show you the mercy that you have shown to your own prisoners, but do not mistake this mercy for friendship. Were you my friend, I would scarcely have need for enemies.

If you wish to enjoy closer relations with me, you may release the Emperor and ask his forgiveness for your treachery. Nothing less than that will produce cordial relations between us.
                  Last edited by Cyclotron; July 26, 2007, 04:25.

Comment

• How scathing.

I like the map very much, with the notable exception of your choice to paint all Germany with that horrible Saxon color

Comment

• Originally posted by foolish_icarus
                      How scathing.

I like the map very much, with the notable exception of your choice to paint all Germany with that horrible Saxon color
                      I agree whole-heartedly, it is a pain to read black text on dark-blue background.... Nevertheless, Foolish, I will have you dethroned, excommunicated, outlawed and blinded for this! How dare you insult your liege like that? The Saxon colour, no matter how displeasing to the eye, has to be every true Christian German´s favourite colour!!!
                      Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                      Let me eat your yummy brain!
                      "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• Originally posted by foolish_icarus
                        Actually, that's a good point - I'll lighten it a bit for easier reading.

Comment

• I think lightening it would make it even less aesthetically pleasing. I suggest to leave it as is (or change it to a valourous Franconian pink!)

As for the yapping in the background, if the Saxon dogs are itching for a fight, I'm certain some real men can be found to give it to them. I'd be happy to personally teach old man Heinrich to heel.

Comment

• I just lightened it a little bit. I'll post the new version along with the stat block update when that's complete.

Comment

• Markgraf Eberhard of Carinthia to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                              My brother,
                              I have reopened the Carinthian stone mines in an effort to acquire the necessary resources to fortify the Magyar border. I believe that only with strong outposts on the border can the March function as an adequate defense when the truce expires or is broken.

I would appreciate receiving your stone as well in the coming few years, to aid in this task.

Comment

• Stat block would appear to be updated. Still to be done:
                                - Generals
                                - Nimitz: I'm a bit confused as to your army organization right now. If you could clarify how you want them arranged, I'll get right on it.

Comment

Working...
                                X