The Age of Glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by foolish_icarus
    How much are you guys looking for me to "interfere"? For example, I threw in social problem/events descriptions as well as external stuff (which I am happy to do ) but I know that in some games I have a direction I want to take my society and random events can really throw off my plans, and I want to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes (all 20 of them, at the moment).

It's not that I don't have a plan/standard of interference, but because there are only two of you I can basically tailor this game any way you find appropriate.
    Well, this is essentially all new for me; I've never actually played an NES before, so I'm still getting used to being the guy not calling the shots.

I think social events and such are great; I want there to be randomness within and without. The assassination of the Council Elder, for instance, was something I hadn't planned for, but I have no problem with adapting to that. There is a direction I feel my society is headed, but I'm not committed to that, and I like internal events that I can react to.

What I'm not sure about is the level of "prediction" that is acceptable from us. For instance, in my NES you don't say "the peasants have been flocking to Holstein because of low taxes," but you can say "I lower taxes in Holstein to get peasants to move there." In this NES, I wrote that the Unclassed are moving to Chessalia, because it seemed logical that they would given the situation - this would be overly predictive in my NES, but it seemed appropriate here (as here we're playing a society, not a single ruler). If I step over the line of what I'm entitled to describe in my orders, please go ahead and overrule or correct me.
    Lime roots and treachery!
    "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

By the way, I would appreciate the following information at some point, either in updates or other posts, just to help me get a taste of the area I'm in:

- What passes for language here? Is it just dialects of English, or are peoples so far apart linguistically that they even use different writing systems and all that?
      - What is the religious situation in the neighborhood? Doveria's history involved a lot of violent cults, is belief in the area very diverse or are there still vestiges of some overarching Christianity / other thing?
      - How populated are the areas around me? You said population was fairly sparse in Chessalia, what about Far Doveria, Filodelia, or the lands east of appleciders?
      "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

In this NES, I wrote that the Unclassed are moving to Chessalia, because it seemed logical that they would given the situation - this would be overly predictive in my NES, but it seemed appropriate here (as here we're playing a society, not a single ruler).
        I heartily approve of this kind of thing--if you want it to happen, go for it!

What passes for language here? Is it just dialects of English, or are peoples so far apart linguistically that they even use different writing systems and all that?
        I've got to answer this question in a way that won't give anything away
        Some of your neighbors speak the same language as you or an understandable dialect. Others speak languages that are not intelligable without translation, but share some similarities to your language. Some few even speak languages that seem to have no similarities to your own. Writing is rather less divergent--the majority of languages (that even have writing) use a common or very similar alphabet, but some use a "bastardized" alphabet or a different alphabet altogether, and some (few) even use non-alphabetical writing systems.

Which reminds me--I'm going to thrown in some discoveries of "ancient texts" soon maybe next update

What is the religious situation in the neighborhood? Doveria's history involved a lot of violent cults, is belief in the area very diverse or are there still vestiges of some overarching Christianity / other thing?
        Ah yes. You will indeed run into religion soon. In yours and ciders' immediate vicinity there are a variety of small faiths as well as a few practicioners of local branches of powerful, widespread "churches". I have the large religions planned out, but feel free to define as many of the smaller cults as you wish. For the time being assume none of the large foreign churches have very much sway in your country, but once I introduce them I will allow you to retroactively add their adherents in your country, if you want to.

How populated are the areas around me? You said population was fairly sparse in Chessalia, what about Far Doveria, Filodelia, or the lands east of appleciders?
        *Squints and mumbles at map*
        let's see...
        The places shown as states have the highest populations. Filodelia has some actual cities and some towns. Far Doveria, despite lacking any large cities, is fairly populated (with towns and villages and communities).
        East of appleciders is...Chessalia?
        West of him is less populated.

Generally there are going to be some people just about everywhere, but there are only going to be a 'lot' of people where you have states (not necessarily in cities--a few states have coalesced that are basically just a bunch of towns), and there are some places where cities are the only real population center around.
        Not very informative, I know, but the best I can do for the time being.
        If you were to look at a population map, it would appear pretty 'splotchy'. Lots of small areas of concentration, but no real predictable trends except that coasts and riverways are more populated than inland.
        Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

The Society of Holy Diviners

It may be hard to define the society as a nation, as it is only a small collection of decentralized and mercantile communities. There is no enforced hierarchy within the society, but still, nothing is done without first consulting a diviner. The people believe that the diviners are capable of seeing everything that every has been, is, and will be, and are thus given the greatest amount of respect. The diviners have a hierarchy amongst themselves however, starting with neophytes all the way up the the high council, which is made up of representives of each community.

The diviners are something between a soothesayer and an inventer. They believe that glass, when understood and used properly, can reveal the hidden truth beind everything. It is believed that the different properties of a piece of glass (colour, shape, ect...) will reveal different aspects of the truth, and so refined glass from "before" (anything from a broken drinking glass to a telescope) are collected as precious artifacts. Indeed, the council has in it's collection a working kaleidoscope which is revered as the most sacred of artifacts.

Diviners can be immediately reconized by their long robes, adorned with bits of glass and jewlery. Aswell, they will often be wearing glasses made up of variously warped and coloured fragments of glass. The higher the rank of the diviner, the more extravogent their wardrobe - many of the high council members are covered from head to toe in fragments of mirrors.

The high council meets on a glass field every full moon, where they relate important news, have discussions ad present demonstrations, experiements, or lectures to the other members.

EDIT: and you can place me on the map anywhere you like, as long as it is relatively flat.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Psst... he may want you to post one of these things, like we did.

Nation Name
            Player Name
            Civil Modernity: between 0 and 1000
            Military Modernity: between 0 and 1000
            Technological Capacity: between 800 and 1500
            Espionage: 1 (1)
            Army: 1 (1)
            Navy: 0 to 1 (0 to 1)
            Population: .1 to .5 [million]
            Economic Vigor: 0 to 3
            Median Living Standards: 0 to 4
            Contentedness: 0 to 7
            Notes—
            {a few IC sentences on your country concept}

Comment

Continue with programs to improve roads and centers of education within the Confederation. Instead of further expansion, place emphasis on mining iron in likely locations, especially in mountains.

At the Congress, make special efforts to deal only with legislation that is of national importance. Local matters will, as usual, be left to local governments, hopefully reducing friction at the Congress and allowing more fluidity at the national level.

Use the military to help enforce law and order and to remove bandits, raiders, and other malcontents from my borders.

Send an emissary northward and across the bay to the Doverian area. Try to make contact with the government and introduce ourselves.
              Last edited by appleciders; August 11, 2006, 14:17.
              "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
              phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
              three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Society of Holy Diviners
                General Ludd
                Civil Modernity: 600
                Military Modernity: 400
                Technological Capacity: 1300
                Espionage: 1
                Army: 0 (city militias are relied apon)
                Navy: 0
                Population: .3
                Economic Vigor: 3
                Median Living Standards: 3
                Contentedness: 6
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Ludd, you're going to start in Florida.

Update Friday.
                  Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

I have a very loose definition of "Friday". That comes from (against all expectations!) having work, and also despicable, despicable RPGing
                    so,...you know...soon-ish

Comment

If this is still going by the third of September, I'd love to join. Hell, I'd love to join now, but I don't have the time.
                      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Update 2: 276-300 ACC Part 1

Doveria

Representatives of the tribes of Far Doveria (see below under 'Mastay') have come to Doveria to beg for intercession before they are all wiped out by the Mastayvians.

[I'm still debating whether to put up accurate NPC statistics. I probably won't. Either way, before you decide what to do, keep in mind Mastay's political strengths and weaknesses, and the fact that they have quite a powerful military, both army and navy.]

Doverian Chessalia continues to increasingly prosper under the Orderines and the Unclassed and the natives.

The army's careful and well planned yet swift and ferocious efforts have utterly destroyed the organized Chessalian resistance to the west by wiping out their command structures and soundly defeating the fragments after their armies disintegrated. Partisans still skulk in the lands, posing a potential danger, but for the most part the disgruntled former soldiers have simply gone home to try to live their lives without actively fighting against the Doverians...yet.
                        Despite this success, the pro-Doverian native alliance has failed to materialize, since none of the locals wanted to step up to that position. This surprised the Doverian generals, who initially expected the Chessalians to meet Orderine efforts with “dancing in the streets” and to generally welcome them “with open arms”.

Civilizing efforts within Doveria itself continue at a sluggish yet steady pace.

-----

Shenandoah

Macry has approached Shenandoah with offers of friendship. They note that both states must be vigilant against threats both from the western tribes and the insidiousness of Mastay.

Roads continue to improve, as does education, with a few potential hurdles to overcome. Administrators struggle how to extend education systems into the rural areas as well as the dilemma of how to set the curricula and who will oversee its adoption.

With a little more experience under their belt working with the complications of a somewhat multi-cultural state, the Congressional administrators have gotten better at handling divisive issues and generally keeping wide ranging communities more satisfied. This has, however, lead to the potential problem (or it could be a good thing, depending on how you look at it) of a rather entrenched political class who have the resources and experience to succeed at government and generally only pass those on to their handpicked proteges, basically making it extremely difficult for newcomers without an established sponsor to get into the higher levels of government which is creating a little bit of resentment of its own sort. This, however, is limited to those who actually have an interest in that level of politics, rather than the whole populace, so it is generally seen as a good trade off, except by the angry excluded people themselves.

Western tribes have been moving in waves around Shenandoah's borders. Something out in the waybeyond may be going on.

This state's iron mining attempts are basically a failure. Finding the ore in usable quantities, much less extracting and processing it, has proved to be far beyond Shenandoah's technological know-how and infrastructure capabilities. They have, however, found a partial solution by approaching their needs from a different angle. They are able to find scrap metal in reasonable quantities in ruins and by digging up and sorting through huge sites which seem to hold, in no particular arrangement, all degree of items, some nasty and unpleasant and some useful. In addition to scraps of metal, they've found a few other goodies...

[I will let you choose two ordinary everyday items that might be found in a landfill for your scavenging teams to discover. These items will be completely intact and potentially usable (that is, you can find a computer, but you won't be able to use it until you have electricity, or you could find something else more immediately useful). You can also collect basically as much 'trash' as you want, broken stuff, old stuff that no longer works, if you can find some kind of use for it.]

-----

Glass Diviners

What new wonders have our Diviners granted us? The public doesn't yet know, but there are whispers of the discovery of a new and exceptionally holy artifact, that the council spends their time poring over in seclusion.

Behind closed doors, the wisemen do indeed have a wondrous new artifact in their possession. It is a small device, perhaps a foot high, recovered remarkably intact (by all appearances) from a recently unearthed ruin. It is constructed of several materials, including numerous small glass pieces, which, when looked through up close in much the same way one glances into the holy kaleidoscope, reveals in fine detail the smallest features of an object placed upon the artifact's pedestal. The mechanism of its operation (if indeed it is anything other than magic) is not apparent, and of course the sages have been incredibly reluctant to dismantle such a holy device. There is almost unanimous agreement among the sages that this device, if used with wisdom and courage, will bring good things to whole world.

-----

Macry

Only one large city exists in the land of Macry: The barricaded city of Macry itself. Looking at it, one wonders how it earned its reputation as an impregnable fortress. It is a sprawling, unplanned mass of streets, houses, warehouses, and shops planted on a mostly flat piece of land. The only remotely defensible natural aspect of the terrain is the river which forms the boundary of one small corner of the city. This settlement does not even possess a keep or a castle, only administrative buildings built out of the same materials as most of the city's other architecture; wood, brick, and scrap. Macry's walls, its feature that comes closest to conventional fortification, aren't even all that good. They wrap around the city in pieces, not even entirely containing (or protecting) the sprawl.

What, then, allows this city's continued existence in its dangerous location? The fierce efforts of its inhabitants. For too far to the west for their details to be known but not so far west that Macry lands are free of their influence lie the Horse Lords, who are said to control (or be) strange and terrible beasts and thus impose total dominion on the surrounding lands, raiding and taking slaves from the surrounding two-footed tribes. Many of these slaves make their way to the markets of Mastay. The Horse Lords themselves do not transport the slaves; they leave that business to their hard and cruel vassals, who would love to pick up further chattel as they travel east through the region of Macry.

In addition, tribes fleeing from or attempting to gather the strength to oppose the Horse Lords frequently trespass upon Macry lands with violent intentions. Macry has successfully repulsed all of them on the field of battle with their skilled, organized, and numerous army, in large part because they have accepted so many refugees into their city as residents. Civilian and military life in Macry thus has a wider diversity of ideas and culture to draw upon than just about any other in the greater eastern region.

The Macry themselves abhor slavery and servitude, and the fortitude and dedication of its residents under the direction of its traditional council has allowed it to survive (though not without its share of squalor and the risk of instability) in its dangerous and threatening location.

-----

Nadan

This ancient coastal community, located south of Shenandoah, has long since passed its zenith in terms of power as an organized state. Its once grand palace, said to have been built long, long before the names of today's countries were ever spoken, has a few years ago simply been at last completely abandoned by the Emperor of Nadan as he left his throne for civilian life. This seemed unremarkable to the other Nadanites, as it has been so many generations since the Emperor has actually had any power.

The power and glory this state once enjoyed is hinted at by the remarkable friezes adorning old crumbling buildings that depict the heyday of this people's influence. Despite their 'decline' as a state, these people enjoy predominantly good living conditions, and their lifestyle, though static, is in many ways quite advanced. They are an isolated people, seldom interacting with outsiders, and seldom interacting even with each other except for ritualistic allowances.

They have retained their love of advanced architecture, building standardized, sturdy, and exquisite yet practical little hut groups for each family unit. In this society the family is the polity, and their social interactions are all an expression of this truth. The family is not a political power; relatives are not subject to the rule of an authoritative father or mother figure, but that is how people interact with each other, as members of different families, traveling as units or individuals from hut complex to hut complex.

A text fragment recently discovered in Shenandoah is believed by some Shenandoan scholars to describe what may have been one of the legendary first Emperors of the predecessor state to the current Nadan people. The translation reads thus:

There was three kings into the east,
                        Three kings both great and high,
                        And they hae sworn a solemn oath
                        John Barleycorn should die.
                        They took a plough and plough'd him down,
                        Put clods upon his head,
                        And they hae sworn a solemn oath
                        John Barleycorn was dead.
                        But the cheerful Spring came kindly on,
                        And show'rs began to fall;
                        John Barleycorn got up again,
                        And sore surpris'd them all.
                        The sultry suns of Summer came,
                        And he grew thick and strong,
                        His head weel arm'd wi' pointed spears,
                        That no one should him wrong.
                        The sober Autumn enter'd mild,
                        When he grew wan and pale;
                        His bending joints and drooping head
                        Show'd he began to fail.
                        His coulour sicken'd more and more,
                        He faded into age;
                        And then his enemies began
                        To show their deadly rage.
                        They've taen a weapon, long and sharp,
                        And cut him by the knee;
                        Then ty'd him fast upon a cart,
                        Like a rogue for forgerie.
                        They laid him down upon his back,
                        And cudgell'd him full sore;
                        They hung him up before the storm,
                        And turn'd him o'er and o'er.
                        They filled up a darksome pit
                        With water to the brim,
                        They heaved in John Barleycorn,
                        There let him sink or swim.
                        They laid him out upon the floor,
                        To work him farther woe,
                        And still, as signs of life appear'd,
                        They toss'd him to and fro.
                        They wasted, o'er a scorching flame,
                        The marrow of his bones;
                        But a Miller us'd him worst of all,
                        For he crush'd him between two stones.
                        And they hae taen his very heart's blood,
                        And drank it round and round;
                        And still the more and more they drank,
                        Their joy did more abound.
                        John Barleycorn was a hero bold,
                        Of noble enterprise,
                        For if you do but taste his blood,
                        'Twill make your courage rise.
                        'Twill make a man forget his woe;
                        'Twill heighten all his joy:
                        'Twill make the widow's heart to sing,
                        Tho' the tear were in her eye.
                        Then let us toast John Barleycorn,
                        Each man a glass in hand;
                        And may his great posterity
                        Ne'er fail in old Scotland!
                        Last edited by foolish_icarus; September 1, 2006, 15:26.

Comment

Update 2: 276-300 ACC Part 2

Mastay

Mastay of the North is ruled at an given time by one or more of its aristocratic families. The ruler, backed by his family and usually the alliance of other families that allowed him or her to succeed to the throne in the first place, exercises near-absolute power as a monarch for the duration of his reign, but usually is succeeded not by his or her own heir but by a member of another aristocratic family. The families certainly come into conflict, but it is typically of a very political or secretive nature, seldom spilling over into actual violence or a breaking of the unofficial and ill-understood 'rules' of the aristocratic family that have allowed them to maintain absolute control over the city by fostering this degree of cooperation betwixt them.

This city and its towns are known for the frequently harsh rule of it's kings and its heavy use of slavery and servitude which ranges from indentured servitude to forced criminal labor to hereditary imported slaves. This city is a potent regional power, and an unrelenting adversary of Macry (though the hostility is more on the side of Macry, Mastay recognizes that their differences means these states will never be friends and Mastay is certainly opportunistic enough to attempt to weaken Macry if it ever gets the opportunity.

Mastay doesn't make many friends among foreigners. Filodelia is probably the closest they have to an 'ally', and even that is greatly overestimating the trust and friendship they share, which so far has not been broken but is clearly fragile and temporary in nature.

What with Macry making the slave routes from the west unreliable, Mastay has turned in other directions to satisfy their hunger for forced labor. They have been sending their own slavers in the surrounding lands, particularly Far Doveria, to collect new human stock. While Mastay is quite use to handling slaves, they are green in the whole business of acquiring them by hand. The result of their inexperience is an episode of terror in the surrounding countryside so brutal, even for slave capturing, it defies description. When locals resist their efforts, they destroy or enslave the entire town. They burn crops, poison water, kill livestock, and commit atrocities on persons for the sake of intimidation. This has turned Far Doveria into hell. Still, the Mastayvian slave merchants are committed to meeting their quotas...this is a dark episode that has long since lost the capacity to end even remotely well.

-----

Filodelia

Filodelia has for some time now been ruled by tyrants—in the political sense of the word. The ruling tyrant is generally benevolent and competent enough to rule this little state without getting usurped and exiled. There is some form of plutocracy in this nation, but nowhere near as powerful or organized as in Mastay. Mostly they are just a bunch of rich merchants and landowners looking out for their own interests that the tyrant can't afford to anger too much, and the ranks of the rich are occasionally infused with new blood as newcomers become wealthy and old established families sometimes lose their fortunes. This is a very patriarchal society—in the home and in politics women are typically subservient to men.

The Filodelians also practice slavery, but on a smaller scale and of a much 'gentler' nature than the Mastayvians. Filodelians only enslave foreigners, and slavery isn't hereditary, and typically slaves are treated better than they are in Mastay.

This state has for some time been on relatively benign terms with its neighbors, as the tyrant is typically concerned only with maintaining internal power. This state certainly has the strength and the latent political/civil will, however, for potent acts of territorial expansion.

-----

Duchies of Ilk

East and West Ilk are states closely aligned with the Dominion of Risen. Survivalist-Pacifism holds strong sway as the religion in these lands, and the three states are close allies. For generations, half-brothers from the Sherman clans have ruled East and West Ilk. The brothers each have one or more children with the same sanctified priestess, the eldest males of which will become the next Dukes of Ilk.

Surrounded on all sides by heathens, the three Survivalist-Pacifist states have guarded relationships with all of their neighbors, but get along well enough so far for the most part with the peoples to their north and south. To the west and southwest, however, lie the lands of Mission, Silverdy, and Throe, which the triple states have a very antagonistic relationship with. War has occurred before, and could easily erupt again.

-----

Dominion of the Southern Risen Survivalist Pacifist Church

Usually referred to just as the Dominion of Risen. These are the temporal domains directly ruled and administered by the clergy of the Survivalist-Pacifist faith. Long ago a schism occurred in the ranks of Survivalism-Pacifism. Oddly enough, folklore has it that the Northern Church was the victor, and the Southern Church the loser, yet today the Southern Church stands, and no one knows if adherents to Northern Survivalism-Pacifism even exist any more.

Survivalism-Pacifism (Survpacism) is not actually a pacifist religion, yet it is a strangely gentle faith in many ways. Their religiously derived legal code is hardly more demanding or rigid than legal codes in most other states, and a good deal more liberal than some. They tolerate practitioners of most other belief systems, and people are even allowed to speak out publicly against the tenants of Survpacism (though clergy members and laiety will vigorously argue against such criticisms until they are satisfied they have 'won the debate').

Survpacism teaches that the world is governed by two fundamental forces, Striving and Acceptance. Both are fundamentally good, and evil is only the result of an inappropriate balance of the two forces in a given situation. Living things are the physical embodiment of Striving, and Glass is the physical embodiment of Acceptance. Believers are thus reluctant to tear down forests or break apart Glass, and and such efforts on a large scale must be carefully considered and sanctified lest the forces are thrown out of balance. The laity has more leeway with such things than the clergy.

-----

Throe (Labyrinth Cultures)

These little known peoples live to the far south of the Diviners and have settlements on the peninsula of the Diviners as well as to the west of the Diviners, near Mission lands. Mission and the Diviners have had some small contact with these people, but they are still a mystery.

-----

The Wide Manor Country of Mission

In the lands around Silverdy lie the Wide Manor Country of Mission (of which Silverdy is actually considered to be a part). Mission is not a political entity, but a region of similar culture and way of government. Numerous lords rule this land in little chunks, engaging in temporary and loose alliances against their adversaries. “War” between lords typically consists of displays of strength, at most a short skirmish after which some livestock or a few acres of forest or some ceremonial prize changes hands. Frequently disputes are settled by single combat, and the smallfolk levies go home without ever doing more than shouting good heartily at their 'opponents' across a meadow.

The Lords do know how to fight, and will come together just long enough to wage a vicious campaign against outsiders who violate the 'Proper rules of War' that the Lords are used to adhering to amongst themselves.

Missioners practice either a variety of different obscure religions or one obscure religion with many strange and disparate facets; outsiders have a hard time figuring out which is true. Some of these practices have been shown to share strong similarities to religions found in the area of Mastay.

Mission represents the edge of the known world (to the eastern seaboard cultures) in both the western and southern directions. Mission fiefs are the only ones who have any sort of limited contact with the polities of Throe (on the coast to the south), and they've so far made use of this with a casual exchange of trinkets. Throe seems comfortable with this and these two cultures pretty much stay out of each other's business.

-----

Silverdy, Kingdom of Lord Apalshiya

Silverdy was initially just another Mission Fief, but has recently developed largely due to tact, diplomacy, skillful administration, and some lucky breaks into the largest, most influential, and best organized of the Mission 'fiefs'. Silverdy is in fact not an adversary to most of the smaller fiefs; rather, it is looked upon as a leader and protector of Mission because it respects the sovereignty of the other fiefs and had played a large role in countering the power of the triple Survpacist states.
                          Last edited by foolish_icarus; August 31, 2006, 22:12.

Comment

Update 2: 276-300 ACC Part 3

map updated (first page)

As of 300 ACC (update 2)

Doverian Harmonium
                            Cyclotron
                            Civil Modernity: 840
                            Military Modernity: 640
                            Technological Capacity: 1010
                            Espionage: 1 (2)
                            Navy: 1 (1)
                            Population: .6 [million]
                            Median Living Standards: 4
                            Contentedness: 5
                            Notes—
                            {The Harmonium is a strictly ordered community, structured into various caste “societies” (one for each principal trade or occupation) that, theoretically, know their place and exceed in that one area. Formed as a response only a generation ago to brutal strife between tribes and bands of violent cultists, the Harmonium is ruled by the Harmonious Council, which (despite the grandiose name) is no more than a simple group of elders representing all the castes. The Council rules its people with oversight and careful planning, ever fearful of strife and change that once made the Land of Dover a place of chaos, though the council frequently does not see with one single vision, and the less prestigious castes are often sidelined in the council.}

Shenandoah Confederation
                            Appleciders
                            Civil Modernity: 665
                            Military Modernity: 665
                            Technological Capacity: 1220
                            Navy: 0 (1)
                            Notes—
                            {Located in what remains of the Shenandoah Valley, the Shenandoah Confederation remains a largely agrarian society. A tight-knit union of communities does cause some political infighting, but such infighting is a small price for the close contact between communities, which has saved the Confederation several times, both from outside assault and famine. The central government is small and wields little actual power; it serves mainly as a forum for the leaders of individual communties to exchange information and coordinate large projects.}

Society of Holy Diviners
                            General Ludd
                            Military Modernity: 400
                            Technological Capacity: 1300
                            Army: 1 (1) [city militias]
                            Navy: 0 (1)
                            Population: .3 [million]
                            Notes—
                            {It may be hard to define the society as a nation, as it is only a small collection of decentralized and mercantile communities. There is no enforced hierarchy within the society, but still, nothing is done without first consulting a diviner. The people believe that the diviners are capable of seeing everything that every has been, is, and will be, and are thus given the greatest amount of respect. The diviners have a hierarchy amongst themselves however, starting with neophytes all the way up the the high council, which is made up of representives of each community.}

NPCs...estimates only!

Macry
                            Military Modernity: 850
                            Technological Capacity: 900
                            Army: 2
                            Population: .9 [million]
                            Economic Vigor: 5
                            Median Living Standards: 5
                            Notes—
                            {}

Mastay
                            Civil Modernity: 930
                            Military Modernity: 900
                            Technological Capacity: 1000
                            Navy: 2
                            Population: 1.1 [million]
                            Economic Vigor: 6
                            Contentedness: 3
                            Notes—
                            {}

Filodelia
                            Civil Modernity: 710
                            Military Modernity: 760
                            Technological Capacity: 830
                            Army: 1
                            Navy: 1
                            Population: .3 [million]
                            Economic Vigor: 4
                            Notes—
                            {}

East Ilk
                            Civil Modernity: 770
                            Military Modernity: 650
                            Technological Capacity: 900
                            Population: .7 [million]
                            Notes—
                            {}

West Ilk
                            Civil Modernity: 740
                            Military Modernity: 680
                            Technological Capacity: 880
                            Population: .5 [million]
                            Notes—
                            {}

Risen
                            Civil Modernity: 790
                            Military Modernity: 650
                            Technological Capacity: 840
                            Notes—
                            {}

Silverdy
                            Civil Modernity: 550
                            Military Modernity: 730
                            Technological Capacity: 780
                            Population: .9 [million]
                            Economic Vigor: 4
                            Median Living Standards: 5
                            Notes—
                            {}
                            Last edited by foolish_icarus; September 1, 2006, 15:49.

Comment

I am accepting requests for how long you would like a given update period to be. The default is 25 years, but if any of you want to examine a period in more detail, or write some stories about characters without half their life disappearing with one update, I will happily run updates at 20 or 10 or even 5 years apiece.

Comment

I don't plan to make any major character stories, but it makes little difference to me how long a period an update covers, so I'll go along with the crowd.

Orders to come later today, if I can manage that on a Friday night
                                "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
                                phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
                                three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Working...
                                X