No announcement yet.

HRE NES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OOC: Is the stat block for Saxony up to date now?
    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
    Let me eat your yummy brain!
    "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

• Duke Vratislaus of Bohemia to Doge Orso II Participazio of Venice
      Yes I understand you would like more. The main reason I had limited it to the lower amount even though I have new large quantities is as you yourself have stated the threat of the Magyar. I'm open to increasing the amount expecially if the magyar threat is reduced. But we can discuss this more freely once the magyar, the Godless Pagans they are, have been weakened.
      Join the Civ4 SPDG and save the world one library at a time.
      Term 1 Minister of Finances in the Civ4 Democracy Game and current Justice in the Civ4 Democracy Game
      President of the Moderate Progressives of Apolyton in the Civ4 Democracy Game Aedificium edificium est Vires

Comment

• Originally posted by Micha
        OOC: Is the stat block for Saxony up to date now?
        Yes.
        Lime roots and treachery!
        "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• I hate to be nitpickity, but will we see the trade blocks updated soon? I need to know how much exactly I've got to spend.
          "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
          phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
          three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

• Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Doge Orso II Participazio of Venice
            You had at one time requested that I trade silver to you instead of the Emperor, and even offered me a better price for it. What would 425 d. of silver per year be worth to you at this time?

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Duke Eberhard III of Franconia
            I have recently inked a lucrative deal with Venice that trades away the full salt production of Bavaria. I currently trade 300 d. of salt to you for silver; would you be alright with my changing to an equal quantity of Sicilian sugar, a valuable import?

Comment

• Eberhard to Arnulf:

That's fine.
              Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

• Originally posted by appleciders
                I hate to be nitpickity, but will we see the trade blocks updated soon? I need to know how much exactly I've got to spend.
                This task has been completed. You will also receive your other two general candidates soon.

I am working on a "report," following the marketplace, that will give you an updated list of the quantites of goods currently available (through both domestic production and trade). This should be helpful in determining how much iron, stone, and so on you have in totality.
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

• Doge Orso II Participazio of Venice to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                  If our merchants inform us correctly, you are receiving 500 denarii worth of goods (leather, olive oil, and cloth) for your 425 denarii of silver. We are willing to offer you at most 600 denarii for this, in goods of your choice (though some, like silks, may be off-limits presently).

Comment

• Hold on one second- I was under the impression that my trade deal with Italy had collapsed, and I wasn't actually cancelling a deal with Italy here. What exactly is going on?

Duke Arnulf of Bavaria to Doge Orso II Participazio of Venice

600 denarii of various good would be acceptable. I would be willing to accept lower actual value if you could provide iron as well.

Comment

• Duchy of Saxony

Orders (to be expanded eventually)
                      - call up 1400 recruits (200 in Magdeburg, 120 in Münster, 150 in Bremen, 930 in training grounds near Magdeburg)
                      - mobilize nobles
                      - Equip Magdeburg Levy with armour pieces (10 heavy, 190 light) and bows
                      - Equip Münster Levy with bows
                      - Equip Bavarian Rescue Force with 60 spears
                      - Merge nobles, Magdeburg and Münster Levies as well as Bavarian Rescue Force into Saxonian Vanguard (Freiherr Heidolf von Dortmund): 5 Knights, 15 Sergeants, 60 Light Spear Archers (bow, spear), 320 Spear Archers (spear, bow, shield), 190 Saxonian Guards (spear, bow, shield, light), 10 Heavy Saxonian Guards (spear, bow, shield, heavy)
                      - March Saxonian Vanguard southwards to meet with the other German troops
                      - spend 300d on improving lead mines
                      - spend 350d on improving roads to the south (Franconian border)
                      - spend 200d on housing and feeding the Emperor and his staff for the coming year (damn blood-sucker! )
                      - call up three new generals
                      - make Vizegraf Dimarus von Luneburg leader of Münster levy
                      Last edited by Micha; November 6, 2006, 09:44.
                      Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

• Originally posted by appleciders
                        Hold on one second- I was under the impression that my trade deal with Italy had collapsed, and I wasn't actually cancelling a deal with Italy here. What exactly is going on?
                        It seems in my exuberance to fully and totally update the trade board I had forgotten that. It shall be rectified!

Orso II Participazio of Venice to Duke Arnulf of Bavaria
                        Unfortunately, it is Germany that has always been the premier source of iron in the region; your lands are counted on as exporters, not importers. I am regrettably unable to offer you any.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cyclotron
                          King Rudolph II of Burgundy to King Heinrich of Germany
                          My congratulations on your election. As promised, I have assembled a larger force to aid the Bavarians and Swabians against the Magyar threat. They are now ready to move against the Horde. What is your plan of action?
                          King Heinrich of Germany to King Rudolph II of Burgundy

Thank you, my friend. Your contribution to the defence of Christendom against those hooved beasts is outstanding, and be sure the duchies will not forget the debt we´re in. Your help in these times is the proof of Christian superiority, as the Lord´s sheep will stand together and eventually defeat the lone wolves of the east.

As for the plan of action, we will assemble our forces near Regensburg, then sweep southwards to finally join the Emperor´s army. At this point, we will be strong enough to challenge the Horde´s main army and defeat them decisively. So, let your forces meet ours at Regensburg, so we can once again march together against the enemies of the Lord!

Emperor Berengar I to King Heinrich of Germany
                          The Holy Roman Emperor, long may He reign, has seen fit to inform you that His personal army will be ready to move against the heathen enemy next year. As this attack is for the safety of the Germany people, He expects you to graciously provide him with the German strategic plan, and total access to both the number and composition of all German forces and all intelligence you have on the Magyar horde. Through cooperation, He expects total victory.
                          King Heinrich of Germany to Emperor Berengar I

My liege, the German dukes are much delighted to see their protector come to aid. As we will assemble our forces near Regensburg, while I suppose yours are coming the southern route, we need to merge our armies somewhere in between. Our generals are currently assessing the terrain and the strategic alternatives, as well as mustering new forces, so unfortunately there´s neither information about the composition and size of our forces yet nor can we tell you the exact route of the campaign as of now. But be sure his Holy Majesty will be informed in detail as soon as possible.

May the Emperor reign long and in good health.

Comment

• King Heinrich of Germany to all German dukes

My brethren,
                            I would like to hear your proposals about the campaign against the Magyars that is to come next year. Know that the Burgundians have assembled a fairly sized army to aid us, and are requesting a destination to send it to. Know also that the Emperor, at long last, has seen fit to send an army of his own to crush the Horde. He, too, wants to know what we´re planning.
                            I suppose that Regensburg is a good location to join our local forces and wait for the Burgundians, but the Imperial army will most probably come from the south across the Alps, so we need to meet somewhere in between. As Bavaria will be the main battle area, I propose the good Duke Arnulf to orchestrate the German-Burgundian military operations until we join the Imperial army.

What do you think? Where is the Horde army now? Where shall we confront them, where should we avoid them?

Comment

• King Heinrich of Germany to Count Dirk of Friesland

Greetings, my friend!
                              How is the war going? We have heard reports about Danish reinforcements arriving by sea soon, so what is your assessment of the situation? Will you be able the storm the fortresses? If you have a use for Viking longships, we might be able to strike a deal. Unfortunately we are in no position to hinder the northerner´s naval operations, so you cannot hope to starve them out of their strongholds.
                              Also I want you to know that, with war raging in the heart of Germany itself, I am not sure how long I can afford maintaining such a large army at a different front. Please see this as the concerned advise of a friend that it is...
                              Strength to the people of Frisland!

OOC: Sorry for triple posting, that wasn´t intended...

EDIT: Cyclo, how feasible is it to try for a feudalization of Meissen soon? Will it be enough to insert a few counts, hoping they won´t be murdered by their own subjects? Will I need to christianize the land beforehand? Would it help to reassign parts of Thuringia (now in Saxony) to the March to give it a "civilized" base? Or will this lead to a massive uprising in those lands, as they don´t like becoming part of a mere March...? Ah, so many questions...
                              Last edited by Micha; October 20, 2006, 05:29.

Comment

• Originally posted by Micha
                                EDIT: Cyclo, how feasible is it to try for a feudalization of Meissen soon? Will it be enough to insert a few counts, hoping they won´t be murdered by their own subjects? Will I need to christianize the land beforehand? Would it help to reassign parts of Thuringia (now in Saxony) to the March to give it a "civilized" base? Or will this lead to a massive uprising in those lands, as they don´t like becoming part of a mere March...? Ah, so many questions...
                                Feudalization is difficult simply because you are upending the entire social order and substituting a new one. You are replacing the entire economy, turning substinance farming, herding, and gathering into a centralized agrarian enterprise. You are turning formerly free men into peasants that have few rights and little mobility.

The most important consideration is probably Christianity. Christian doctrine, as interpreted by the Church of the day, justifies the rule of nobles and provides a reason why peasants should accept their lot rather than rising against their betters. Spreading Christianity to those who view it as alien and dangerous may cause unrest, but it is ultimately neccessary to feudalization.

Once the land is Christianized, the structures of feudalism can be gradually introduced. This probably starts with a strong and charismatic Markgraf, someone to concentrate their full effort on feudalization (while you attend to more important tasks). They will begin the process of installing barons, reorganizing land, moving populations, clearing land for farms, building villages, and so on. They will require time, money, and a large body of German soldiers that are capable of putting down the revolts that will almost certainly occur.

Fortifications can speed up this process; when William the Conquerer took over England, his very first step was to start building fortresses everywhere. Fortifications and walls provide security and keep the local population controlled and under watch constantly, as well as keeping foreign meddlers out and keeping rebellions in check.

Another option that can help feudalization along is appointing locals as barons and counts. Local Wends, once converted to Christianity, can be made nobles like any other men. The natives are more likely to approve of and serve their lords if their lords are not strange foreigners that speak in tongues. The drawback is that Wendish lords may ultimately be more loyal to their people than their German benefactors, and could lend leadership to a rebellion in the future. Natives are better at leading their own kinsmen, but less reliable than Saxon Germans, who you can count on to support you vs. any Wendish opposition.

You could reassign parts of Saxony to Thuringia, but the situation would be rather chaotic; the lords of Saxon Thuringia would probably try to immediately assert their authority over the pagans to strengthen their own positions and fortunes, possibly causing strife. In this case, a very strong Markgraf would be good advice, somebody who could keep both the Wends and the Saxon barons in line.

Note that once you feudalize the March, the native troops you have now will be lost (but replaced to some degree by knights and sergeants). If you intend to use them on campaign somewhere, you had best do so soon before you lose them to feudalization.

Comment

Working...
                                X