No announcement yet.

Gather round my sleepy children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm Dick Cheney, and I've approved this message.

For:
    1)Star system
    2) a planet within the star system that spins odd so that one side that has lots of valuable minerlas and stuff is the side that never gets healthy light (either boiling or freezing, or both)
    3) maybe a black hole
    4) brontosaur sized animals that can be seized for military and agricultural use!!
    5) A jedi council that takes their time to decide to go to war against the Manadalorian threat to the outer rim colonies, and the Republic at large.
    6) multiple sentient species (more than just humans)

against:
    1)another hsitorical thing
    2)
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

I agree that some planets should be hostile to life.

From a physics standpoint, we could have a black hole; the Earth would become a black hole if you compressed it down to the size of a marble.

Don't forget to include moons!
      "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
      phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
      three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

And maybe an asteroid belt.

Could we have some sort of giant gaseous blob with lots of static electricity in it (like in that onefuturama episode)? It would be fun to have to harvest electricity from it.

OOOh or how about a Dayson (sp?) sphere!

It is a star trek idea where you build a ginat structure around a star and harvest all of the energy that come off of the star. But that would take like a bajillion gnomes.

Comment

Originally posted by bipolarbear

It is a star trek idea where you build a ginat structure around a star and harvest all of the energy that come off of the star. But that would take like a bajillion gnomes.

Well I've thought about a Dyson sphere NES and even came up with some rules etc. But not this time.
          Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Yes, it's "Dyson". Have you ever bothered to calculate the area of the inside of a Dyson Sphere? It's nutty.

How goes the set-up?

Comment

Strange thing, some three days ago I read the forum for GalCiv2 where they were discussing Dyson Spheres in the game (the developers said it was highly unlikely to be included, though). Since I had never heard of those structures I went to look them up (you know, learn something new every day). Pretty interesting, especially since those spheres don´t have to be solid entities. A network of satellites around a star would be sufficient to be called a DS.

I´d really like them to be possible in that NES.

@bipolar: I love it when StarTrek gets the credit for everything more advanced than coffee makers...

The Dyson sphere (or Dyson shell) was originally proposed in 1959 by the astronomer Freeman Dyson in "Search for Artificial Stellar Sources of Infrared Radiation" in Science as a way for an advanced civilisation to utilise all of the energy radiated by their sun. It is an artificial sphere the size of an planetary orbit. The sphere would consist of a shell of solar collectors or habitats around the star, so that all (or at least a significant amount) energy will hit a receiving surface where it can be used. This would create a huge living space and gather enormous amounts of energy.
              Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
              Let me eat your yummy brain!
              "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

I missed that bipolarbear quoted that as Star Trek, or I'd have commented.

That came up in the episode with Scotty, didn't it?

If you're interested in that sort of thing, you should read Larry Niven's Ringworld

Comment

My friends (who are more star trek geeky than myself) were discussing Dyson spheres and some episode of Star Trek that I didn't see.

I was quite lost. They told me that it was a Star Trek creation.

I had no idea that they were the creation of a Freeman Dyson. You can bet I'll be pulling out a few Morgan Freeman Dyson puns though.

Comment

yeah the spheres are an interesting concept, if troublesome in reality.

As for setup, I'm mostly done with the story and rules (which are pretty complex; I'm almost done with rules not as in "have to add more stuff" but as in "have to simplify"). The civilization stats won't take long (as you'll be creating most of the details once I give you the template), but the planetary stats will take some time.
                    Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

Sounds great. And I can't wait to see what kind of trouble Morgan Freeman Dyson is starting this time.

Comment

Oh, I´m soo excited! (I just can´t hide it!)

Hurry up! (Please...)
                        Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

This is going to be fun... I'm more in the mood for something historical *pointedly stares at Micha* but I'm really looking forward to this.

Comment

Darn, my feelings of guilt are hurting enough without you constantly reminding me of my duties...

Comment

Originally posted by appleciders
                              This is going to be fun... I'm more in the mood for something historical *pointedly stares at Micha* but I'm really looking forward to this.
                              Silly Egypt.

Comment

If you're feeling guilty, I probably don't need to be making that any worse. Sooooo... Foolish, how's it going? How much longer?

Comment

Working...
                                X