No announcement yet.

Gnome NES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

*Note: "Update started" means it'll be done sometime in the next couple days.

Ok ,ok, I'll start.
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Also, orders do need to be posted, not pm'd, unless they're really secret (an attack against another player, for example). I think that posting them promotes people's checking of the forums, and makes it more fun if you can see what other people are doing. I'll accept your orders in the interest of getting the update done tonight, though.
      "Bother," said Pooh, "Eeyore, ready two photon torpedoes and lock
      phasers on the Heffalump. Piglet, meet me in transporter room
      three. Christopher Robin, you have the bridge."

Comment

Fourth Update:

The Trash Gnomes made a suprising push towards militarization this turn, pushing thirty new Axe Gnomes into the army, and made large advances southward, eventually reaching the round lake to the south. Speculation amongst the population suggests that a new city may be founded near this lake to gain food from its rich waters.

Many new ants were captured this turn, and are expected to help the colony's future constuction projects. No other major projects were begun, leaving many gnomes free to procreate.

113 new gnomes were born, as 26 gnomes gave their lives in defense of the colony's southern expansion, for a net gain of 87 gnomes. 31 more ants were captured.

The Bush Gnomes made important progress towards many of their goals this turn. Most notably, they founded a new town in the Northlands, which may be the first of many new such settlements. They also successfully trained ants to carry gnomes into battle, making the Bush Gnomes the first to train ant cavalry. These ant riders are expected to make a significant addition to the previously outdated Bush Gnome army.

Parades glorifing the wonderful Bush Gnome King raised morale among the previously apathetic people, and the beautiful decorations were appreciated by all. The dancers and comedians also improved the happiness of the Bush Gnome people. In a darker vein, the gnome observers watching the birds took light losses when the birds attacked. Still, they report that the birds show weakness at the eyes and possibly at the wing joint.

6 ants were captured, and an even 100 gnomes were born, as 20 died, for a gain of 80.

The Wall Gnomes also expanded their empire to include a second city this turn, to be known as Carnh Aeloree Central. While some speculated that this name might anger the gods by forcing the gods to figure out how to spell it, the abbreviation C.A.C. is expected to be much appreciated.

C.A.C. was founded by 75 of the most adventurous, hard-working gnomes in the colony, handpicked by King Mikus himself. Fears spread that the entire settlement party, wieghted down by their belongings and supplies, might be easy prey for predators. These fears were not entirely baseless, although no animals were encountered on the long trip.

Springing from ambush in the lowest branches of Carnh Aeloree, a small group of Barbecue Gnome warriors attack the convoy. Their throwing spears proved to be an advantage over the Flail Gnomes, causing several casualties before the Wall Gnome warriors could engage. Still, their short spears were of little use in close combat, and the Flail Gnomes dispatched all the interlopers before returning to the convoy.

C.A.C was founded without further incident, and the gnomes quickly adapted to life on the ground, rather than built into walls. C.A.C. is located near the Twin Lakes, which may prove an excellent source of food.

The gnomes set to research ranged weapons hit on the idea of a device they call a "sling." This device is simply a pouch with strings coming from each end. A rock is placed in the pouch, and the "sling" is whirled around the head until it achives a high speed, then one string is released to expel the rock at a high rate of speed. While inaccurate, the "sling" is powerful and quick to reload. Rocks are also readily available ammunition.

The rope network is progressing nicely; it has already become much easier to move from one level to the next.

47 gnomes were born, as 12 died, gaining 35.

The Clay Gnomes have long been considered among the most cultured and organized societies in the yard, and their new scratch-remembering system is further proof that they are an extremely powerful culture. This new system will allow gnomes to create abstract ideas that can be passed down from generation to generation, not to mention the massive organizational projects that will be much more effective with this new system.

Among these projects is the rope-making technology that was acquired from the Wall Gnomes this turn. Between seeing how the Wall Gnomes make rope and experimenting on their own, a dedicated group of Clay Gnomes has discovered how to make a rope fiber that opens up many new possibilities.

In a mysterious, clandestine operation, several gnomes have begun collecting acorn shells, and were overheard reporting that the oak trees to the north-east were excellent sources of bark. The NKVD has refused to comment, but it's become clear that the Clay Gnomes are not telling everything they know...

8 gnomes and an ant were killed, while 34 gnomes were born and six more ants arrived as tribute from the Bush Gnomes, for a net gain of 26 gnomes and five ants.

The Twin Lake Gnomes put much effort this turn into a system of storing smoked tadpoles for the future. Their scientists report that smoked tadpoles show an excellent tendancy not to spoil, and so the storehouse has begun to be filled.

Their introduction of the revolutionary new "Officier" in the military has yet to be tested, but may greatly improve the ability of the Twin Lake Army to carry out complex manuvers and raise morale in the army.

32 new gnomes were born, while 7 died, for a gain of 25 gnomes. Four more ants were captured.

The Barbecue Gnomes continued their pattern of agression this turn, raiding both the Wall Gnomes and the POWARS. Both raids were beaten off, albeit with some losses. While no Barbecue Gnome has attacked the Twin Lake Gnomes, after the thrashing recieved at their hands during the fateful Battle of the Lawnmower, that may not last.

The attack on the POWARS came first, as a a group of POWARS attempted to reach the nearest tree to found a new city. While bees ferried supplies over, the gnomes themselves climbed down their tree and walked over to the next one. Luckily, the Sappers spotted the attack, and raised the alarm as they tried to drop their boiling honey on the interlopers. While their aim from this great height wasn't good enough to kill many Barbecue Gnomes, they did occupy their attention long enough to muster the Spear Gnomes, who beat back the attack.

The next raid was simply an opportunistic attack on the Wall Gnomes as they founded a new city near Carnh Aeloree. This attack was poorly planned and took place with a demoralized army that had just been defeated at the hands of the POWARS. While this attack failed in itself, a flail was later recovered from the battleground, and may be used in the future as a prototype for new technology.

The Barbecue Gnomes made one peaceful move this turn, expanding northwards to take control of a birdfeeder that had been placed in their general vicinity. While it wasn't nessecary this turn, they're expected to be quite fierce at fighting off birds that try to steal from the feeder. 15 new Throwing Spear Gnomes and 10 new Spear Gnomes were inducted into the military this turn.

39 new gnomes were born, while 17 died, for a gain of 22 gnomes.

The POWARS made several new advances this turn. Most notably, they founded a new city in the nearest tree. This city is hopefully going to relieve the Old City of the growing population pressure. While the New City has not yet been named, it has already begun to acquire a reputation for bad luck due to the Barbecue Gnome attack that killed several gnomes during their peaceful migration to the tree.

The other major project this turn was the capturing of a spider and training it to spin silk to be used as rope. A small spider was captured at some loss of life to the Spear Gnomes that took it, but it has not yet been trained to spin silk. However, its web was salvaged and has been experimented with to determine its strength.

A project to generally improve the quality of life was begun, and it has slightly improved the quality of gnomish life around the colony. A secret project has been started, and while the public doesn't know the exact plans, gnomes were seen gathering metal shavings from the birdfeeder.

106 gnomes were born, while 17 died, for a gain of 89 gnomes. Three more bees were captured.

Comment

cool

also good map
          Those walls are absent of glory as they always have been. The people of tents will inherit this land.

Comment

I was hoping the map would make things a little clearer. I may reorganize the stats tonight, but nothing will actually change, the update's finished. Name your cities, people! Names like "Old City" and "Town" are boring.

One other note- If a gnome colony invents a technology or special unit, I won't allow any other colony to research that unit or technology by the same path. If you want it, you must arrange to purchase it from the colony who invented it. Your other option is to find another way to go about, like the way Bipolarbear is acquiring rope; he doesn't want to buy it, so he's making a spider spin it. An exception to this rule is any technology involving animals; no one has to buy ant-taming or riding skills, or that sort of thing.
            Last edited by appleciders; April 24, 2005, 12:54.

Comment

Ok, stats reorganized, update finish, let the chaos re-commence!

Comment

Wall Gnomes

The Capital has been renamed "Brickbane". While the common Gnome wonders about the origin of this name, King Mikon insisted on that spelling... Sure, some say he has had his time and is getting old, but in view of his great achievements for the colony he was granted this wish.

The next King is to be elected soon, as King Mikon expressed his wish to abdicate due to his age. He said something about "fishing" and "football on TV", but this might just be the babbling of an old muddled man...
                Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
                Let me eat your yummy brain!
                "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Is there room for another tribe of gnomes?
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

By all means. The Trash Gnomes and the Barbecue Gnomes are open, or you could start another colony.
                    Last edited by appleciders; April 25, 2005, 22:40.

Comment

• I keep forgeting about this thread.

I think I'll go with the Trash Gnomes

EDIT: Either that or a small nomadic band of gnomes, if that is exceptable.

EDIT Again: Yes, I think I would prefer a new nomadic band to the trash gnomes.
                      Last edited by General Ludd; April 26, 2005, 15:15.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• A group of wandering gnomes have arrived from a neighbbouring yard and have begun to set up camp near the fence in the south eastern part of the yard. They have not yet aproached any of the other gnomes, but brief sightings seem to of sparked suspcision twoards the new-comers, who look out of place amongst the locals.

I'm going to be presumptuous and make the data for my tribe

Nomad Gnomes:
                        Population: 56 (6 military 50 workforce)
                        Gnome Soldiers: 6 bow gnomes
                        Food Supply: Poor (a small stockpile of salted ham)
                        Military Rating: 60%
                        Loyalty: 90%
                        Happiness: 52%
                        Density of Population: 60% (too many people and a nomadic lifestyle becomes more difficult)
                        City Improvements and Details: Temporary camp
                        Special Units: Bow gnomes (equiped with grass-string bows and woven jerkins)
                        Technologies: Grass weaving (used primarily to make clothes, containers, bow strings, and tents)
                        Trade: None

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Mmm... I shouldn't let you have that grass weaving, but that population is so low, I'll allow it. Are you planning to stay nomadic, or settle? If you stay nomadic, your death rate is going to be way higher than everyone else, and with a poor food supply, you won't gain enough population to support it. I'd highly recommend settling within a turn or two.
                          Last edited by appleciders; April 26, 2005, 23:52.

Comment

• Could I start a group of indoor gnomes?
                            First Master, Banan-Abbot of the Nana-stary, and Arch-Nan of the Order of the Sacred Banana.
                            Marathon, the reason my friends and I have been playing the same hotseat game since 2006...

Comment

• Originally posted by appleciders
                              Mmm... I shouldn't let you have that grass weaving, but that population is so low, I'll allow it. Are you planning to stay nomadic, or settle? If you stay nomadic, your death rate is going to be way higher than everyone else, and with a poor food supply, you won't gain enough population to support it. I'd highly recommend settling within a turn or two.

I was going to stay nomadic, with them seting up temporary camps occasionally to hunt and build their food stores before traveling more. (and I mentioned that they where setting up camp in my post)

Do It Ourselves

Comment

• Metaliturtle: Gnome colonies must start outdoors, although you can expand inward if you want.

General Ludd: OK, I'll allow the nomads.

Comment

Working...
                                X