New Ideas - all read

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Ideas - all read

As Hagakure Dip is finished and Not So Newbie Dip is coming to a close, I was considering starting another couple of games. However, I wanted to take a quick opinion poll about what would be best for ADC.

1) Is it a help or a hindrance to start new games when we have several already running that we can't fill(Imp Dip, Frontier dip, Apocalypse)? I'm happy NOT to start any new games if you think it complicates things further.

2) If I do start a new game, what variant do you want. I'm tempted to run another standard game - we don't have enough of these in my opinion, and they prove popular. But have a look at the following ideas and let me know if they might be worth a go:

First, a standard map but played anonymously. This does NOT mean gunboat - press will be allowed but only through me (ie, you send me emails with the message, I pass it on to the right person; and I will remove any identity beyond your country name). This gets round the age-old problem we have of cross-gaming and will add a bit of mystery that is currently lacking.

Second, again a standard map, with standard rules. This time though, we play in realtime. We choose a weekend and try to get a time when everyone will be online and we play with 15 minute deadlines, probably using icq for dipping and Realpolitick for quick mapping. It may take several hours, but I think it would add the urgency of FTF dip and also be a good laugh.

Anyway, let me know what you all think. I'm equally happy sitting on my butt doing nothing, it's your call.
    "Life is like a bag of Revells - you're always searching for The Orange One"

I like both ideas. Particularly the realtime option.

Apocralypse and the Final keep stalling because players go off and I don't really know what the active roster is. Apocralypse, I think Victor is gone, or with limited acces. Is Fitz gone too?

Comment

I don't mind the first option, I've devloped such a reputation I'm sure.

Couldn't do the second option. As I doubt I will have the time.
      What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

Orange1,
        I believe we have about 10 solid players if they play,
        Defiant
        Ruffhaus
        Orange1
        Orange
        Chazzy
        Gerwald
        Berzerker(he had mentioned he wanted to start getting back into some games)
        Snowfire(School is out and he says he is ready)
        VGR, he was in apocralypse and is a steady player
        November Adam( is becoming a quick study)
        Victor(but he is roaming around the countryside)
        His Divine Widow
        I think what we need to do is finish NSN, and the two big maps, 50 and Frontier, I would suggest maybe drawing in those games. I would love to continue them but they sure are delayed and then we could start fresh with maybe more energy and stick with the reliable players.

Just my two cents worth.
        Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Comment

I would love to play the anonymous thing.

Comment

Hello everyone, btw.

I've been away from here for a long time, since this here thing requires committment, which I can't give while in school.

Comment

Siro, you still drive me nutts, look at your first post and then your second. Although I like your picture of Netanyho(sp) sorry.
              Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

Comment

Bahhh... Active rosters? That's why these games are in the tank? At least blame it on the Argentinian Futbol team's pathetic performance or something that remotely mediates your slacking....

ADCT Final
                Austria - Defiant
                England - Stefu
                France - RUFFHAUS8
                Germany - The Orange_1
                Italy - Sahib
                Russia - Gerwald
                Turkey - End is Forever

Day of the Apocralypse
                Britain - End is Forever
                Egypt - November Adam
                France - Chazzy
                Germany - VGR (eliminated)
                Italy - Victor Galis
                Poland - Defiant
                Russia - The Orange_1
                Spain - Snowfire
                Turkey - orange
                Ukraine - RUFFHAUS8
                What is best in life? Crush your enemy! See him driven before you. And to hear the lamentation of his women.

Comment

There is one reason why those games are in the tank and he is called LARRY LARRY

Comment

No, the real reason is me directing and acting in a play. And my lack of knowledge over the status of half the players, I know the roster, but people keep crawling out of the woodwork appearing and disappearing.

Comment

I'd be up for both options. I will say that I don't know how effective the anon option would be- I know some posters writing styles, and so it might be kind of predictable if too many vets play. It's fun to try, though.
                      All syllogisms have three parts.
                      Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I'd like to be in both of the options. One modifications though, if we play the regular game, could we have the 'fleet-in-rome' variant? I don't know if anyone has done any stats, but has a single ADC game seen Italy as the winner?
                        Gnu Ex Machina - the Gnu in the Machine

Comment

Just checking the (extremely outdated) site, in Rocky Road, Italy was in 3-way draw. There are several other games where Italy had a strong finish but somebody else soloed. This is in about ~10-14 standard games, where we might expect 1 and half victories.

So it's not that bad. I will say that I myself don't like Fleet Rome that much for Italy: I agree it does make Italy more powerful, but they also become more predictable and they lose some super-powerful surprise openings. Myself, I'd rather have the unpredictability.
                          All syllogisms have three parts.
                          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

I'd be quite up for another game of genuine gunboat dip. The Silent/Shift game (Silent Dip IV, I think) that Boshko ran was the most interesting game I've played, I think. I think running that again would be fantastic. Okay, the fact that I won it probably shades my memories somewhat, but oh well...
                            Visit the Vote UK Discussion Forum!

Comment

Ok, to sum up so far:

1) There is demand for new games, although some concern about running too many at the same time. I share the last concern, and certainly won't start any before NSN is finished. The question of Dip 50 and Frontier dip are more complicated - any more opinions on that? Waiting until they're finished will be like waiting for England to win the World Cup (ie. never), so should I start while they continue. Discuss...

2) There seems to be interest in both my suggestions. First, the anonymous game, I have interest from the following players:

El Awrence
                              November Adam
                              Siro
                              Snowfire
                              CyberGnu

Then, the realtime one:

El Awrence
                              Siro
                              Snowfire
                              CyberGnu

Hopefully a few others on Defiant's list (inc him and Ruff!!) would also join so it may be possible to run both. Of course, I'm happy to run a normal game instead, it's up to you guys.

Any more thoughts?
                              "Life is like a bag of Revells - you're always searching for The Orange One"

Comment

Working...
                              X