Dip 62: Not So Newbie Diplomacy Starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dip 62: Not So Newbie Diplomacy Starts

(Please someone correct me if this number is wrong, but I reckoned if Day Of Hypocrisy was 61, then this must be 62 - smart, huh? )

GM COMMENTS:

Ok, welcome everybody to Not So Newbie Diplomacy, a game on the standard map with standard rules. Most of you know the score, but for our new members, turns will be roughly once a week, with shorter deadlines for adjustment phases. All orders and the map will be posted in this forum so check back often. I will also be operating an email alert service to let you know when orders have been posted.

Deadlines for the game will be adhered to fairly closely, although I will allow a 24hr grace period for late orders. If you need extra time, ask for an extension BEFORE the deadline and chances are you'll get it. If I receive no orders by the end of the grace period, you will NMR (for the newbies, NO MOVES RECEIVED) and all your units will HOLD. If you NMR in two consecutive turns, or three times in total during the game, I will evict you from the game and seek a replacement. If you want to quit, please show me and the other players the courtesy of letting us know so a replacement can be found, rather than having to put up with 2 turns of NMRs.

If you do not submit disbands by the deadline, I will disband the first unit alphabetically. If no builds are received, these will be waived for that game year.

You can send orders by email, icq or PM, but be warned that I always send a confirmation message - SO, if you don't get a confirmation, I haven't got your orders.

Ok, enough of the heavy stuff. I want to wish everyone the best of luck and HAVE FUN. Oh yeah, and take it easy on the newbies, we don't want to scare them away And newbies, even if you take a pasting in your first game, please stick with us - you'll soon be stabbing with the best of them...Happy Dipping

COUNTRY ALLOCATIONS:

SITS - Turkey
    November Adam - France
    Victor - Austria
    Defiant - Great Britain
    ColDark - Germany
    End Is Forever - Russia
    Taurus - Italy

MAP:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

DEADLINE:

Spring 1901 orders will be due Wed 17 October at 1159 GMT.

CONTACT DETAILS: (please check for accuracy)

GM: The Orange One
    email: the_orange1@hotmail.com

Turkey: SITS
    email: sits07@yahoo.co.uk

France: November Adam
    home: chadzs@shaw.ca
    work: chadz.interics@home.com

Austria: Victor Galis
    email: victorg@aol.com

Great Britain: Defiant
    email: defiant@charter.net

Germany: ColDark
    email: ColDark@bigfoot.com

Russia: End Is Forever
    email: lindley91@yahoo.com

Italy: Taurus
    email: angry_taurus@hotmail.com
    Last edited by the_orange1; October 15, 2001, 04:39.
    "Life is like a bag of Revells - you're always searching for The Orange One"

My ICQ is now 134865646
    Everyone knows that a million to one chance comes up 9 times out of 10.

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thankyou ColDark. Icq added to contact list

Comment

Ahm, you know that most people here aren't newbies.

I think it's not fair that they enter the game for "easy points"

Comment

Easy points? I'm playing as Austria for God's sake, and if most of us aren't newbies doesn't that defeat the purpose of entering for easy points?
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

As the only geninue Newbie here what are 'Easy points'?
            'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

SITS, for every game you play here, you get points for the Apolyton Diplomacy Club (ADC)'s standings, depending on how well you do.

Last thread:

Our cheeky young Israeli thinks this game will be an easy win for the veterans in the game, and thus easy points in the standings. I disagree entirely - games with a mix of experience and abilities are good. Besides, as Victor said, if it's full of veterans, how will it be easy?

Also, Siro, you may have noticed that the game is not a newbie game - this was because there were not enough newbies to make up a game. So what should I have done, wait around for 6 more newbies by which time SITS would have got pissed off and left? I think we need to get him playing as soon as possible in any game so that he can become hooked and hopelessly obsessed like the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by the_orange1
                SITS, for every game you play here, you get points for the Apolyton Diplomacy Club (ADC)'s standings, depending on how well you do.

Last thread:

Our cheeky young Israeli thinks this game will be an easy win for the veterans in the game, and thus easy points in the standings. I disagree entirely - games with a mix of experience and abilities are good. Besides, as Victor said, if it's full of veterans, how will it be easy?

Also, Siro, you may have noticed that the game is not a newbie game - this was because there were not enough newbies to make up a game. So what should I have done, wait around for 6 more newbies by which time SITS would have got pissed off and left? I think we need to get him playing as soon as possible in any game so that he can become hooked and hopelessly obsessed like the rest of us.
                Now I know a what chicken feels like in a coop surrounded by foxes!
                'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna

Comment

Ok everyone, we have a new player. I know we haven't started yet, but another newbie came along and El Awrence has offered to step down. - see there are still gentlemen in this world

And after all, that was the point of running this game.

So welcome to the stage, November Adam. You will play France. I'll email you some stuff tomorrow. Do you have an icq address? If so, please post your number. If not, perhaps you would cinsider getting one (www.icq.com)

SITS, by any chance do you still have a copy of the email I sent you with links/brief rules outline etc - If so, I would be grateful if you could forward it to NA - save me rewriting it all.

NA - feel free to ask me anything you're not sure about.

Thanks.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.. I don't have an ICQ number yet.. I'll get one but I'll only be using it at home. You can email me at work but don't expect a quick response... damn work and all.

Uhm orange your link didn't work to the map for me.

I have a copy of the game... I'll have to read over the rules quick again.

France hmmm... this is an easy one isn't it? hope so.
                    What if your words could be judged like a crime? "Creed, What If?"

Comment

For the map, click on the link with the right-hand mouse button, choose "copy shortcut", paste it into the address line and press enter. For some reason, just clicking on the links doesn't work. If you still have problems, let me know.

France is generally considered one of the strongest countries, but there are not really any easy countries. It all depends on who the other players are - if Italy, England and Germany gang up France, or even just two of them, France is dead man walking.

Happy dipping!!

Comment

Welcome aboard NA. The mail that the_orange1 sent me has been forwarded to you. Good luck!

Comment

Hi Orange_1

Just looked at the map for Dip62. Shouldn't Germany have F(Kie) and A(Ber) not as shown on the map?
                          Everyone knows that a million to one chance comes up 9 times out of 10.

Terry Pratchett

Comment

Col is right

did you make the map yourself? Or did you download it somewhere?

If the latter, you should probably tell them the map is wrong.
                            "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

You're right, thanks for pointing it out. I have changed the map and it should be fine now:

Latest news coverage, email, free stock quotes, live scores and video are just the beginning. Discover more every day at Yahoo!

Comment

Working...
                              X