Vacation Time For Defiant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruff,
    Huh, I always thought that it was Gettysburg, O well, You learn somthing new everyday. I think vicksburg is always over rated. The Blockade did more to hurt the south than Vicksburg. Sure it was harder to cross the Missippi, but ways could be found. Quick quiz, what state in the south was able to hold off the north for the longest. My vote is texas. Its huge size, bad climate, and limited population reduced its desirability ( sp ) to the north. Plus any attack of the north was repelled. They may have taken a city, but they would edventually be driven back out. It is through texas that some supplies reached the south via Mexico and It was able to defend itself well enough to send troops far east to help the fight there.

Comment

Originally posted by hacksaw
      Ruff,
      Huh, I always thought that it was Gettysburg, O well, You learn somthing new everyday. I think vicksburg is always over rated. The Blockade did more to hurt the south than Vicksburg. Sure it was harder to cross the Missippi, but ways could be found. Quick quiz, what state in the south was able to hold off the north for the longest. My vote is texas. Its huge size, bad climate, and limited population reduced its desirability ( sp ) to the north. Plus any attack of the north was repelled. They may have taken a city, but they would edventually be driven back out. It is through texas that some supplies reached the south via Mexico and It was able to defend itself well enough to send troops far east to help the fight there.
      Except for the fact that Texas was a divided state socially during the war. The Germans who'd settled the hill country in central Texas opposed the state's entrance into the Confederacy and it's continued use of slaves, nor would they mobilize to defend the South in the end. At best, you'd be dealing with a LOT of "conscientious objectors". At worst, you would've had a horde of Scando-Germanic guerilla partisans running rampant over Confederate supply lines while they were trying to hold the massive Federal army at bay.

The problem the Federals would've had was differentiating between Confederate Texan and Noncompliant Texan, and like it or not, those same Scando-Germanic hordes would not have taken kindly to a bunch of scalawags in blue stomping all over their land and busting up their good time. So there might've been some trouble there, too. The Germanics down there tend to get a touch ornery and territorial, even today.

It was this socio-political division that enabled Texas to weather the post-war "punishments" with ease and with its rights intact, rights which are still current today. It is also this division that allows Texans to tolerate a post-Nolan Ryan Texas Rangers baseball team without having to commit ritual suicide in shame.
      His Divine Shadow
      zeon_archduchy@hotmail.com

"Do you know what 'nemesis' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c**t: me." - Bricktop, _Snatch_

Comment

Re: Vacation Time For Defiant

Originally posted by Defiant
        Must be that time of year, my family and I are going on a vacation trip to Virginia starting July 18th and I will be back July 28th. Going to see some of Civil War battles occurred where the North kicked the south's ass and hopefully to see a friend or two in the area
        If you can, try and see Yorktown as well. It's not Civil War, but it's still MY favorite Site O' Ass-Whuppin' in CONUS, and just as fascinating as Gettysburg.
        His Divine Shadow
        zeon_archduchy@hotmail.com

"Do you know what 'nemesis' means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified, in this case, by a horrible c**t: me." - Bricktop, _Snatch_

Comment

Working...
        X