Vacation Time For Defiant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacation Time For Defiant

Must be that time of year, my family and I are going on a vacation trip to Virginia starting July 18th and I will be back July 28th. Going to see some of Civil War battles occurred where the North kicked the south's ass and hopefully to see a friend or two in the area
    Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

(Quick! Someone! Anyone! Sava! Come help! )-mrmitchell

Hope you have a top time
    "Life is like a bag of Revells - you're always searching for The Orange One"

Comment

Enjoy it Defiant... I'll be at home waiting for you and your when you get back to Wisconsin

Comment

Thanks guys I will need it, never drove with a 19month for 8 hours, hope she is quiet or it could be a long trip.
        Lets always remember the passangers on United Flight 93, true heroes in every sense of the word!

Comment

Domination comes before all! No heresy! Domination Domination Domination!

Back in my day there weren't any vacations until your game was done. yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah

Have fun man. Enjoy the sights, the sun, the memories of gore and glory. I went through four little babies...my brothers and cousins....good frickin luck.
          Almighty and Resident God
          The more you know the more you realize you dont know. - Shep

Comment

Nappy,
            That little 19month old starts whining unmercifully on the way I will be dropping her off at your apartment in NY.
            Know how to change nuclear powered stinky diapers?

Really, thanks man, I am looking forward to going to Gettysburg.

Comment

Bring in on, Yankee boy! But good luck trying to find a battlefield in Virginia where the blubellies 'kicked ass'!

They *hauled* ass a few times though! Maybe that's what you meant.
              What is best in life? Crush your enemy! See him driven before you. And to hear the lamentation of his women.

Comment

The bluebellies sure "Hauled Ass" back across the Rappahannock after Fredericksburg, didn't they.

Comment

Yes, I believe they did. Marye's Heights was a bit of a disaster for them.
                  What is best in life? Crush your enemy! See him driven before you. And to hear the lamentation of his women.

Comment

Nuclear powered stinky diapers. Well, that's easy, just send them on over to Ruff's place
                    Almighty and Resident God
                    The more you know the more you realize you dont know. - Shep

Comment

well the only reason they "kicked Ass" is because one of Lee's officers lost his manuel with all of Lee's battle plans in it. Of course a northern private picked it up and it soon reached General Grant, who being the best general the north had for the job ( He was only really average) was able to use it well.
                      That and there numbers and equipment advantage.
                      But have fun though. Nice to see a few people intreasted in history. By the way is anyone intreasted in a history quiz. IM sure we could all come up with some questions and see how other people answer.
                      Last edited by hacksaw; July 12, 2001, 16:15.

Comment

Once Vicksburg fell and the Gettysburg battle occurred, it didn't matter what Grant had of whose, it was all over with, it was just a matter of time and who would get the clean up job.
                        Sherman's annhilation of Georgia and to the ocean was only the deathblow but the fatal injuries were sustained at Gettysburg and Vicksburg.

I just looked it up and here is a bit of a coincidence, Gettysburg battle started July 2nd 1863 and ended July 4th, Vicksburg started March 29th and ended July 4th, 1863. Vicksburg residents would not celebrate the fourth for years following. But the point being, these two battles were the critical impact of losing the war, IMO.
                        Last edited by Defiant; July 12, 2001, 17:02.

Comment

Actually Hacksaw, that anticdote about the lost orders is associated with the battle of Sharpsburg (Maryland), and the Yankee General that got handed Lee's plans was McClellan, who boasted about being able to whip "Bobby Lee" this time. Well, Shaprsburg was a tactical draw. The Confederates won the day on the battlefield, but as usual were so outnumbered that their losses forced Lee to abandon his 1862 invasion of the North.

Defiant is correct that both Vicksburg and Gettysburg turned the tide. It is widely assumed that Gettysburg was more damaging, though the Yanks took a beating there too. Realy all their "victory" there did was stop Washington from being sacked, and sent Lee south again. Vicksburg was far more crippling as the entire Mississippi River was lost, and with it the Confedracy split in half. If Vicksburg had held (big if), I doubt that Grant or anyone else would have won anything in the east.

Comment

I'm on vacation too for a week this weekend... I'll get my tourney moves in now-ish though Ruffhaus. Onion Diplomacy seems to be in limbo, ah well, no great loss.

Comment

Ruff,
                              I think the North would have won regardless of Vicksburg, no doubt Vicksburg was extremely critical to the win but moreso in the quickness of the win. The stranglehold was on the south, supplies to run the southern war effort were running out, people were starving in the south, afterall that is what brought Vicksburg to her knees, a sieze not a military defeat per say. When they came to Gettysburg it was for shoes, just not enough supplies to maintain a war effort much longer than it did.

The north had the industrial edge on the south, the south had the better Generals but in the end evens great Generals can't fight if they start to run out of the food, clothing, weapons and such to stage a war effort.

If the southern generals were fighting for the north with the supplies they had it would have been an extremely quick war.

Comment

Working...
                              X